GDT: Game #5 Jan. 22nd Pens Host the Rangers @ 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Okay. Thanks.... I didn't know/understand that part.:thumbu:

I mean, they can't be kept from bringing someone up if they want. A true callup? Guys not on the taxi squad? Seems stupid not being able to bring up someone if they want. Like when you play with one less forward and add a D-man.

A true call up would come from the taxi squad as well. The difference is that the games/days are counted separately. So by using an emergency call up on POJ, they can get 9 games / 29 days on him without having to put him back on waivers to send him to the taxi squad. But then they could turn around and call him up regularly, and get another 9 games / 29 days before he has to go on waivers. Obviously they'd have been dumb not to use the emergency designation for this since it applies, but it also means it's not worth calling up Czuczman (regular call up) and burning games/days off his counts just to have a 7th defenseman.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm actually fine with them slowly working Kapanen back into the fold of things. He looked pretty gassed near the end of the game against Washington, so I don't doubt that he has some questions about his conditioning right now. That's no fault of his, it's because of the circumstance that surrounded him. Easing him in and letting him work his way up as his conditioning gets back is probably the best way to handle him.

Why is Kapanen on the 4th line? Is that correct?

They're easing him in until he gets his game conditioning back.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why is Kapanen on the 4th line? Is that correct?

We'll see how the game goes. He's been getting shifts up the lineup. Dude has been idle a while and just made it to the team like the day before his first game. I have lots of questionable things I could point out Sullivan doing but I'm fine with this. For now.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm actually fine with them slowly working Kapanen back into the fold of things. He looked pretty gassed near the end of the game against Washington, so I don't doubt that he has some questions about his conditioning right now. That's no fault of his, it's because of the circumstance that surrounded him. Easing him in and letting him work his way up as his conditioning gets back is probably the best way to handle him.

They're easing him in until he gets his game conditioning back.

Nah dude, he's fine. He was easily the best forward last game and barely got rewarded for it.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah dude, he's fine. He was easily the best forward last game and barely got rewarded for it.

I noticed him being gassed at the end of multiple shifts. There is literally no downside to ease him in.

Do you really think a guy can just jump into NHL action after basically having to sit around and do nothing, with no training camp and minimal practices?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
yes, a 24 year old hockey player who’s played two previous years in the league and was pretty much their best player last game needs to be “eased” into the lineup (eye roll)...just like a poor defenseman who’s been bad his whole career for six years needs to be “eased in” to learn a whole new system, which is very taxing I’m sure...

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I noticed him being gassed at the end of multiple shifts. There is literally no downside to ease him in.

Do you really think a guy can just jump into NHL action after basically having to sit around and do nothing, with no training camp and minimal practices?

This whole thing about being out of NHL action is so overused. Everyone was out of "NHL action" for months and a little skating for a week didn't magically put them into NHL shape again. I'm confident that Kapanen has been exercising and training before his quarantine. These are world class athletes and he's a healthy 24 y/o. Again, he's fine. Play him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why not.....start Kap on the top line and give him a few shifts off here and there if it looks like he isn't in shape yet instead of vice-versa?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This whole thing about being out of NHL action is so overused. Everyone was out of "NHL action" for months and a little skating for a week didn't magically put them into NHL shape again. I'm confident that Kapanen has been exercising and training before his quarantine. These are world class athletes and he's a healthy 24 y/o. Again, he's fine. Play him.

Okay, so you actually think that Kapanen having literally no skating or conditioning doesn't matter. Gotcha.

I swear, sports fans sometime have the dumbest takes I've ever seen :laugh:

TheNorthPenguin

Oct 25, 2019
When 3/4 of the forward group looks like their conditioning is not there, I don’t see why you don’t put Kappy in the position that best helps the team. If there was a full preseason and training camp missed, I get it, but it was so condensed that it really doesn’t matter imo. And if you want to control his minutes early than keep him off the special teams for a few games.

But with the shortened season and every game being a 4-pt game, you can’t give away points, even early. And it’s not like he’d be replacing someone that is performing well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->