GDT: Game 5 - Flames (2-2-0) @ Avalanche (3-1-0) 8:00PM MT (CBC, SN1, CITY / FAN960)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Peters seems to be good at shuffling the lines, cause we absolutely dummied them for the first 15 minutes of that third with the new lines.

Two games now (this and the Vancouver win) where the Flames would have packed it in and lost under Gulutzan, but have instead come out and played some good hockey and have won the game, even the Blues game although we didn't win we came back and fought hard.

Once the Flames really get clicking on all cylinders and clean up the mistakes we're going to be a powerhouse team IMO, especially when Hammer comes back.

Hopefully Bennett keeps this up, cause if he does he'll be looking at a nice extension and more importantly the Flames will have another good player on their hands.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I have had some problems with my internet provider :) And sorry, was drunk this morning :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Canucks always jump out to a hot start before the wheels fall off in the new year and they win like 2 of their next 20

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well we’ve seen Bennett play like this before. His challenge is maintaining his confidence in tough times offensively. He’s clearly got the skills though

Well he’s looked better the last 3 games than he did the entire time under Gully. I really hope he hasn’t asked for a trade, because if he keeps trending this way, he’s going to have a huge role on the Flames.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well he’s looked better the last 3 games than he did the entire time under Gully. I really hope he hasn’t asked for a trade, because if he keeps trending this way, he’s going to have a huge role on the Flames.
He had some very good 5-10 game stretches under Gully too. Some have even made the (outlandish) claim he was our best player for 10-15 game stretch.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
He had some very good 5-10 game stretches under Gully too. Some have even made the (outlandish) claim he was our best player for 10-15 game stretch.

To be fair I'm pretty sure he was tied with Ovechkin and Kopitar for points during that stretch or something. It wasn't that outlandish of a claim, just confirmed what we basically already knew about Bennett, which was that he had lots of skill but couldn't consistently translate it to offense in the NHL.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He had something like 15 points in 15 games. He was by far our best skater for that stretch

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

It’s definitely very encouraging. Neal should help him once he really gets going. And Dube is going to be a possession monster

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be fair I'm pretty sure he was tied with Ovechkin and Kopitar for points during that stretch or something. It wasn't that outlandish of a claim, just confirmed what we basically already knew about Bennett, which was that he had lots of skill but couldn't consistently translate it to offense in the NHL.
his best stretch was 12 points in 11 games from November 28th to December 17th, it was a good stretch for sure, but even if you want to claim he was the best player on the team he was still useless for the other 71 games. Which is my entire point, he's had good stretches before, even under Gulutzan.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

- It is not easy to generate offense five on five in the NHL, for anyone.
- This is doubly so when teams have a scouting report on the likes of Bennett's former linemates - Hathaway, Lazar, Chiasson, Brouwer, and whatever was left of Jagr, Versteeg
- That becomes tripley so when you don't blend your lines when the team goes cold, and when even the 5v5 ice time skews towards players playing further up the lineup
- In fact, all NHL players are streaky 5v5, this is not unique to Bennett.
- Supposedly "consistent" scorers also add a special teams points during their cold 5v5 stretches to seem more consistent. Players not on special teams conversely appear less consistent, and get called "inconsistent"

When Bennett, like any NHL player, goes cold 5v5, we'll be back to this cycle of people complaining about him while praising certain other Flames for picking up 3 on 3 points after games of being generally awful.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
his best stretch was 12 points in 11 games from November 28th to December 17th, it was a good stretch for sure, but even if you want to claim he was the best player on the team he was still useless for the other 71 games. Which is my entire point, he's had good stretches before, even under Gulutzan.

That's exactly what I'm saying, it just sounded like you were disputing that he was the best player on the Flames during that stretch when he was clearly playing incredibly well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's exactly what I'm saying, it just sounded like you were disputing that he was the best player on the Flames during that stretch when he was clearly playing incredibly well.
I am disputing it. Maybe he was the best offensive player, but I have my doubts he was the best player.

edit: I will admit, that he did better during that stretch than I recalled.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Watching the team I can't wait to see them in about another 10 games. When this team skates and uses it speed they are one of the best teams in the NHL. In Nashville they were the better team. After the first 20 in Colorado they were by far the better team.

The keys to Calgary Flames wins:
  • Win the Giveaway/Takeaway battle
  • Produce on Special teams
  • Skate
  • Play the game with pace.
Last night the Flames transformed from trying to carrying the puck in as much and replaced it with chipping and chasing. Colorado couldn't adjust and after that point Calgary appeared to be winning the puck battles. It also forced the Colorado D to back off the blue line.

Loved Rittich cheering when Johnny hit their blue line. ROFL

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed that is awesome, +1 for Rittich who also had a good albeit quiet game after things settled down

That first goal was not great for Ritter.
That second, good luck stopping that. I thought he had a good performance. I'm hoping we get that early season Rittich for us this year, as a backup he was dynamite for this team until Smith went down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That first goal was not great for Ritter.
That second, good luck stopping that. I thought he had a good performance. I'm hoping we get that early season Rittich for us this year, as a backup he was dynamite for this team until Smith went down.
Rittich did have minor off-season surgery that he's has refused to disclose, so that may or may not have been a factor in his struggles when Smith went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad