GDT: Game 5 Coyotes Vs Rangers - 4:00 Sunday October 23rd

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 3m3 minutes ago
Tippett on GWG: "He made some big saves after that, but that’s a key save we needed at that time. That’s a mistake you can’t have."

Of course Tippet blames the game on Domingue, completely ignoring what led up to that point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tippett on GWG: "He made some big saves after that, but that’s a key save we needed at that time. That’s a mistake you can’t have."

Of course Tippet blames the game on Domingue, completely ignoring what led up to that point.

Constantly blaming the goalie that kept you in the game doesn't go over well in the room. Or with the goalie that was **** on by his junior coach.

Where's the criticism for Goligoski by name? **** DT.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I wouldn't blame Domingue for wanting a trade at this point. Sure, this is an opportunity for him to show what he's got, but if Smith returns shortly, there are several teams in need of a decent goalie that would appreciate him a bit more (and actually be able to score enough to offset some of his mistakes as a young goalie), and I'm sure DT would like a veteran BU (kind of like Peters) instead of a 24 year old who may struggle a bit when the D falls short as much as we currently are (Goligoski has been pretty bad--perhaps he'll improve soon?)

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Did something happen between Dom and DT? It's pretty odd how he goes out of his way to call him out, when he would never blame Smith for anything. Nor has he called out any vets by name.

Seems out of character for him.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The 3rd goal Louis let in was bad. I also didn't like the first. But calling him out in public is stupid.

No matter how a goalie plays you should never call them out. If you really think they're to blame start the other guy the next game. That's a big enough message without the risk of ruining their confidence.

I also thought Louis has been progressively getting better each game. Which is all I really care about.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think he has called out Smith obliquely before with a "we need better goaltending. He'd tell you that, too", but this seems ridiculous. I don't blame anybody for wanting out, honestly. All the talk about the meritocracy and equal treatment for everyone is such an obvious lie. Most coaches will have favourites, but how many openly slag guys?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Which part? The Chycrun penalty when he misplayed his man, hooked him, that lead to a PP goal? That last goal was soft. Tip has made comments about Smith at different times too.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Which part? The Chycrun penalty when he misplayed his man, hooked him, that lead to a PP goal? That last goal was soft. Tip has made comments about Smith at different times too.

Could you tell me when Tippett has directly blamed the loss of the game on Smith?

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Did something happen between Dom and DT? It's pretty odd how he goes out of his way to call him out, when he would never blame Smith for anything. Nor has he called out any vets by name.

Definitely out of character and he has done it two games in a row. And IMO unwarranted. Dom has not been the reason we lost games. There are lots of others to blame. Oddly the only others he's called out have been the double Ds...no vets by name. I think Tip is feeling pressure to win now. Perhaps he has seen this movie too?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Definitely out of character and he has done it two games in a row. And IMO unwarranted. Dom has not been the reason we lost games. There are lots of others to blame. Oddly the only others he's called out have been the double Ds...no vets by name. I think Tip is feeling pressure to win now. Perhaps he has seen this movie too?

He's under zero pressure. Ownership gave him the keys to the kingdom. He has enough smoke cover for a bottom five finish this year and probably next year too.

All he had to say was "Dom had some great saves, maybe he'd want that last one back, but we've got to clean up things in front our net to give us a better chance to win." Fair, end of story. He has been uncharacteristically ungracious about these losses.

NJ has the worst offense so far but isn't giving up many goals. Let's see how Dave Tippett's "structure" works against Hynes (who I think is a far better coach).

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Tippett on Smith... 2 yrs ago.

"It's just baffling," coach Dave Tippett said. "(Goaltending coach Sean Burke) thought he looked really sharp (in practice). For whatever reason, in the game we're not getting the results we need."

http://www.azcentral.com/wlna/sport...sults-for-coyotes-goalie-mike-smith/20838081/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He didn't say that. DL has to make that save.

I wouldn't blame Domingue for wanting a trade at this point. Sure, this is an opportunity for him to show what he's got, but if Smith returns shortly, there are several teams in need of a decent goalie that would appreciate him a bit more (and actually be able to score enough to offset some of his mistakes as a young goalie), and I'm sure DT would like a veteran BU (kind of like Peters) instead of a 24 year old who may struggle a bit when the D falls short as much as we currently are (Goligoski has been pretty bad--perhaps he'll improve soon?)

DL will not ask for a trade. Please, a little common sense guys.

I think he has called out Smith obliquely before with a "we need better goaltending. He'd tell you that, too", but this seems ridiculous. I don't blame anybody for wanting out, honestly. All the talk about the meritocracy and equal treatment for everyone is such an obvious lie. Most coaches will have favourites, but how many openly slag guys?

:facepalm:

He's under zero pressure. Ownership gave him the keys to the kingdom. He has enough smoke cover for a bottom five finish this year and probably next year too.

All he had to say was "Dom had some great saves, maybe he'd want that last one back, but we've got to clean up things in front our net to give us a better chance to win." Fair, end of story. He has been uncharacteristically ungracious about these losses.

NJ has the worst offense so far but isn't giving up many goals. Let's see how Dave Tippett's "structure" works against Hynes (who I think is a far better coach).

You think every coach is better than DT. :laugh:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Goligoski needs to get things figured out in a hurry.

3rd rd draft pick, not physically imposing, so so point production, never an all-star, but looked solid defensively with the Penguins (who won the Cup), and Dallas (who has been really good past couple of years)

Maybe the Gogo we're seeing is what he looks like on a young team that will make a lot of mistakes. :dunno:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
3rd rd draft pick, not physically imposing, so so point production, never an all-star, but looked solid defensively with the Penguins (who won the Cup), and Dallas (who has been really good past couple of years)

Maybe the Gogo we're seeing is what he looks like on a young team that will make a lot of mistakes. :dunno:

Except the youth isn't the main cause of the mistakes, especially with Gogo, his mistakes are his own. Maybe, we should look for other reasons outside of automatically blaming the youth for the issues? :dunno:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I don't think Tippett blamed the whole game on Louis, but let's be honest. Louis made a couple of fantastic saves at key moments, but by and large he looked awful. Out of position, uncertain, and once or twice actually panicking.

The 3rd goal Louis let in was bad. I also didn't like the first. But calling him out in public is stupid.

Calling out a goalie who's got a 5.03 GAA and a .851 SV over 155 minutes played is a good idea.

I think a lot of people are giving Louis a pass over the way he played last year, but my god, man, Domingue has been absolutely brutal thus far this year. Justin freaking Peters has outplayed him - and Justin Peters is not a good goalie.

Louis needs to be held accountable and if a public wake-up call doesn't work, then he can go sulk in a lower league (with another franchise, if necessary).

Goligoski needs to get things figured out in a hurry.

Maybe the Gogo we're seeing is what he looks like on a terrible defensive team. Which is what we are.

Whoever's running the back end on the coaching staff needs to be fired. Yesterday.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Except the youth isn't the main cause of the mistakes, especially with Gogo, his mistakes are his own. Maybe, we should look for other reasons outside of automatically blaming the youth for the issues? :dunno:

What I was trying to imply (apparently poorly), is that perhaps Gogo's weaknesses were mitigated when he was on a REALLY good team.

Similar to the reason the Panthers thought Bolland was worth $5.5 mil per season. He looked somewhat productive playing with the Hawks. Outside that environment he never really produced.

Just a theory.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Maybe the Gogo we're seeing is what he looks like on a terrible defensive team. Which is what we are.

I though the D looked better the last 2 games. Last night I would only put one of those goals on poor D coverage, and although Gogo was on the ice, I blame Schenn.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Who's blaming the youth? I like our mix of vets and rookies. Not a fan of White, but I think the vets are doing a fine job. Could they do better? Of course. Hanzal, OEL, Gogo can a will play better. Domi and Duclair can a will play better. Pointing fingers after five games is silly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Tippett blamed the whole game on Louis, but let's be honest. Louis made a couple of fantastic saves at key moments, but by and large he looked awful. Out of position, uncertain, and once or twice actually panicking.

Calling out a goalie who's got a 5.03 GAA and a .851 SV over 155 minutes played is a good idea.

I think a lot of people are giving Louis a pass over the way he played last year, but my god, man, Domingue has been absolutely brutal thus far this year. Justin freaking Peters has outplayed him - and Justin Peters is not a good goalie.

Louis needs to be held accountable and if a public wake-up call doesn't work, then he can go sulk in a lower league (with another franchise, if necessary).

Whoever's running the back end on the coaching staff needs to be fired. Yesterday.

Good post. Our D is starting play better. Don't forget Gogo, Schenn and Chychrun are new and Stone just came back, so I think we should give our D a little bit of a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00