Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Caps vs. Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sharks fan coming in peace.... I'd love to see us both reach the SCF....

It seemed like Neuvirth saw the majority of those shots cleanly. I didn't get the sense that he was standing on his head, rather that he wasn't really asked to....

Has this been a theme throughout the year? Just not getting much net front presence and letting the goalie's eyes see the puck?

I'd love to see the Caps get dirty in the paint and make it a lot tougher on him.

The Capitals made Mason's life miserable in the first three games with screens and net pressure. They haven't done the same in the last two. Hakstol's adjustments have worked in terms of protecting the net, but it's come at the cost of any semblance of a possession game.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Switch it up Trotz. More of the same is not working.

Put together Ovechkin-Richards-Williams and let's see.

Sullivan puts Malkin with Fehr and BOOM! Trotz needs to stop being so predictable. It's killing the team.

kimilol

Apr 22, 2016
No but there were other underlying issues aside from that. This team never crashed the net much and that's coming to the forefront now that they need to try to create goals in ways beyond their typical easy fancypants fashion. The answer is probably not to do the same damn thing over and over and hope that one sneaks by but focus calmly on teamwork and crispness. Both are areas of weakness 5-on-5 offensively.

Decision-making and crisp pace are crucial to playoff success yet haven't improved in-season in either Trotz year. Defensive structure, Holtby and raw skill aren't enough. Until they start thinking the game at a higher level offensively and play with the composure of a team fully engaged on a consistent basis they're going to lose to teams that are more polished. That's where killer instinct is found. In Games 4 & 5 in many ways they beat themselves and from here their history enters the limelight.

Yees I totally agree with this. They actually need to make a strategy to get a goal in this guy, because he keeps reading their goals, and randomly shooting and hoping you'll score isn't working. Also Flyers defence get shorter shifts. Maybe flyers were lucky, maybe we sucked, but I'm wondering how they'll figure something out next game.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
There is absolutely no purpose to the way they play offense. There is no plan to what they are doing. The entire offense is predicated on effort.

Ya the shot differential was nutty tonight, but like my SJS friend said, Noovy had a clear path on majority of those shots. They were desperate to pepper Noovy, which they did, but beyond that they had no plans. "Moar shots" by itself won't lead to more goals. Doesn't work that way.

With that said, they should still beat this Flyers team. The skill disparity between the two teams is massive. Absolutely no reason to lose two games in a row against that team. Which goes back to what I said earlier, this core has absolutely no idea how to win. None. And no coach or GM is magically going to change that. Its up to them, and in all these years, they haven't been able to figure it out.

Where the F is #14? Dude's an absolute no show when we need him the most. Thought this is why we brought him in. For that vet presence, to show the two kids on his line (and the rest of the team) what it takes to win a cup.

Bura too has been garbage this series, btw.

Oshie is a warrior though. He's doing something at the very least. More than what I can say for majority of this roster. But dude needs to stop it with the excessive passing.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Put together Ovechkin-Richards-Williams and let's see.

Sullivan puts Malkin with Fehr and BOOM! Trotz needs to stop being so predictable. It's killing the team.

Why did Trotz break up Winnick-Richards-Beags? That line was really really good late in the regular season. Makes no damn sense. The Richards line is absolutely inept right now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Capitals made Mason's life miserable in the first three games with screens and net pressure. They haven't done the same in the last two. Hakstol's adjustments have worked in terms of protecting the net, but it's come at the cost of any semblance of a possession game.
That was true really only on the PP, though. Philly's PK has become slightly more aggressively the past two games and that's been enough to push the Caps out of their comfort zone I suppose.

5-on-5 they didn't really do anything much to make Mason uncomfortable. Burakovsky sprayed Mason right before Beagle's shot in Game 1 but that's about all of their annoyance or traffic from their 5-on-5 goals. Everything else was clean shots and even that play was more annoying than dirty.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Neuvirth made 43 saves today. That's insane. That's inhuman.

He was effective and we kept him busy, for sure. But i wouldnt say it was an insane or superhuman effort. For the overall quantity of shots, there were not the usual handful where I said, 'Oh my god, how did that not go in?'

Instead he was square to most of the shots, saw them well, and frequently stopped the play and avoided rebounds by using his glove.

To me his performance may look superhuman on paper, but it didnt strike me that way during the actual game. He played great, but i don't see it as unsustainable. If anything, that game is a perfect blueprint for flyers on what to do the rest of the way. Same as Montreal did to us in 2010. Get one goal, and then collapse the D-zone coverage, block as many shots as you can, battle like hell to hang on, and feast on the mounting panic of the teetering Presidents Trophy winners

bWo*

its a must to get the first goal next game, get them attacking so it will open them up defensively to pot the insurance goal

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Neuvirth pulled a Halak on the Caps:laugh:

This is actually not too bad but game 6 is a must win. If the Flyers win game 6, things could go horribly bad in game 7.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Yeah i watched his presser. It concerned me that he said, 'if we just keep playing like that, it'll turn around.'

Also, the blanket faith in 14. After specifically saying before the playoffs that he wouldn't wait around for any players to get going.

He said he trusts williams to respond the right way in game 6, but man 14 didnt respond the right way at all tonite, even after multiple screw-ups. Imagine if schmidt or orlov or bura had done any of that stuff. Woulda been stapled to the bench. There was a giveaway in neutral zone in 3rd period which i almost had to rewind to confirm i'd witnessed correctly.

Whatever.

The shirts should've said ENTITLED TO NOTHING on the front, and then GOT NOTHING! on the back.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Yeah i watched his presser. It concerned me that he said, 'if we just keep playing like that, it'll turn around.'

Also, the blanket faith in 14. After specifically saying before the playoffs that he wouldn't wait around for any players to get going.

He said he trusts williams to respond the right way in game 6, but man 14 didnt respond the right way at all tonite, even after multiple screw-ups. Imagine if schmidt or orlov or bura had done any of that stuff. Woulda been stapled to the bench. There was a giveaway in neutral zone in 3rd period which i almost had to rewind to confirm i'd witnessed correctly.

Whatever.

The shirts should've said ENTITLED TO NOTHING on the front, and then GOT NOTHING! on the back.

I hope someone on the coaching staff cracks him upside the head and tells him to rethink his "bully" strategy for game 6 if he believes more of the same.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Sharks fan coming in peace.... I'd love to see us both reach the SCF....

It seemed like Neuvirth saw the majority of those shots cleanly. I didn't get the sense that he was standing on his head, rather that he wasn't really asked to....

Has this been a theme throughout the year? Just not getting much net front presence and letting the goalie's eyes see the puck?

I'd love to see the Caps get dirty in the paint and make it a lot tougher on him.

i agree, the caps used to much skill plays around the net. they got a lot of shots off but most plays where like desperation shots just to not turn the puck over.

battle in the o-zone, stay there, control the puck, shots from the point with traffic, rinse and repeat. nervous, over confident ? i dont care they just **** themselves today.

edit: i really like it when random fans come over to comment on that performance, i really do, it means the caps are a sensation

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Here's what made me angry about the first 40 minutes of Game Four. After all these years, the Caps apparently still have not mastered the idea that it is precisely when your opponent is most beaten down and despondent that you must finish them off. Because every minute you don't, the opponent gains new life and new hope, and before you know it, you're the one pulling your goalie and praying for a miracle.

The Caps played the first 40 minutes of Game Four as though there would be unlimited opportunities to put the series to bed. In fact, at that moment, they were pissing away the very best opportunity of all -- the moment when the opponent was weakest and most vulnerable, and most susceptible to total deflation.

But we coasted till the third period, and by then we had a battle on our hands.

Now the chances to close it out are quite obviously limited, and the actual task is taller. Because the opponent believes himself again. Back from the dead and on absolute mission.

Has there ever been a hockey team which pisssed away so many commanding series leads?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
There is absolutely no purpose to the way they play offense. There is no plan to what they are doing. The entire offense is predicated on effort.

Ya the shot differential was nutty tonight, but like my SJS friend said, Noovy had a clear path on majority of those shots. They were desperate to pepper Noovy, which they did, but beyond that they had no plans. "Moar shots" by itself won't lead to more goals. Doesn't work that way.

With that said, they should still beat this Flyers team. The skill disparity between the two teams is massive. Absolutely no reason to lose two games in a row against that team. Which goes back to what I said earlier, this core has absolutely no idea how to win. None. And no coach or GM is magically going to change that. Its up to them, and in all these years, they haven't been able to figure it out.

Where the F is #14? Dude's an absolute no show when we need him the most. Thought this is why we brought him in. For that vet presence, to show the two kids on his line (and the rest of the team) what it takes to win a cup.

Bura too has been garbage this series, btw.

Oshie is a warrior though. He's doing something at the very least. More than what I can say for majority of this roster. But dude needs to stop it with the excessive passing.

Do you see the irony that one of the key guys who has a history of success and was not a part of our original core is playing like garbage? Nor are his line mates a part of our choking core of yesteryear. Trotz's IS part of the problem.

BackVechkin

Dec 19, 2014
Guys Relax.

This series going 6 isn't all bad. We dominated every single game this series, neuvy has come in a been hot. The only negatives I see are injuries and us losing in 7 (would be very shocking).

But this going 6 means we're on our toes, gives us another game to wrinkle out any rust from us coasting through the regular season. Also I feel like when we get too many days off we start playing sloppy, take the long break from that snow storm for example. If we end this in 6, at least 4 days of rest, which should be a very good amount of times for the bodies to heal.

Negativity should not be associated with these caps.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Guys Relax.

This series going 6 isn't all bad. We dominated every single game this series, neuvy has come in a been hot. The only negatives I see are injuries and us losing in 7 (would be very shocking).

But this going 6 means we're on our toes, gives us another game to wrinkle out any rust from us coasting through the regular season. Also I feel like when we get too many days off we start playing sloppy, take the long break from that snow storm for example. If we end this in 6, at least 4 days of rest, which should be a very good amount of times for the bodies to heal.

Negativity should not be associated with these caps.

Good take on it. As long as they stay healthy, taking it in six is fine. Definitely playing with fire, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad