Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Caps vs. Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
And yet the Flyers have ran through our neutral zone routinely.

And a cycle game is fine if it has purpose, ours has no purpose. They don't crash or setup for rebounds, and the cycle really only seems to work between a handful of our players. Outside of those few, it ends up being a wasted possession.

Whatever they were doing in the regular season they've seemingly left in the regular season.

Uh, when did the Flyers "run through our neutral zone"? They had very few quality scoring chances this series and the majority of their goals were either deflected from the point (a lot of that is luck as well) or just a random good bounce. I understand that you're frustrated, I am too, but let's be realistic here.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
So I just looked this up. Since 87-88, two teams have won while managing <= 11 shots, and incredibly, the Caps were involved in both games.

In 1990 they lost to Chris Terreri and the Devils 2-1 in a Game 3 despite outshooting them 21-10. Interestingly, they went on to win that series in 6 games.

In 1998, the Caps beat the Senators 2-0 in a Game 4 while being outshot 36-11. Damian Rhodes allowed one goal on 10 shots, and the Caps added an empty-netter. Caps won that series in 5.

Here's the search I used to find this. Pretty insane that in the past three decades, the Caps have been involved in the only three times a team has won a playoff game with 11 or fewer shots.

I was at the 1990 game...Mike Liut was over the hill and terrible that game.

sharklife25

Jun 20, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Sharks fan coming in peace.... I'd love to see us both reach the SCF....

It seemed like Neuvirth saw the majority of those shots cleanly. I didn't get the sense that he was standing on his head, rather that he wasn't really asked to....

Has this been a theme throughout the year? Just not getting much net front presence and letting the goalie's eyes see the puck?

I'd love to see the Caps get dirty in the paint and make it a lot tougher on him.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I was at the Caps Centre sitting behind the Caps goal when Hextall scored...this is nothing.

I've been there since the get-go myself. I disagree. This is definitely something.

Blowing a 3-0 series lead in first round after winning Presidents Trophy by a country mile would instantly become one of the all-time landmarks in the long rich history of Caps choking.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I've been there since the get-go myself. I disagree. This is definitely something.

Blowing a 3-0 series lead in first round after winning Presidents Trophy by a country mile would instantly become one of the all-time landmarks in the long rich history of Caps choking.

Oh I agree...I was just being sarcastic....this would be the epic fail of all-time...but, they have 2 more chances.

kimilol

Apr 22, 2016
This game gave me so much anxiety and heartache, I had to make an account just to talk about it. It was very depressing to see what they did today. I found it unusual that they couldn't score with that many shots. Is it because philly's goalie is that good, or is it because the CAPS are not upping their game? I also noticed that they could never get passed phily defence, and phily would always keep them on the sides. How are they going to improve next game.

I also feel Philadelphia is getting used to the CAPS, or is it CAPS are sucking...

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Sharks fan coming in peace.... I'd love to see us both reach the SCF....

It seemed like Neuvirth saw the majority of those shots cleanly. I didn't get the sense that he was standing on his head, rather that he wasn't really asked to....

Has this been a theme throughout the year? Just not getting much net front presence and letting the goalie's eyes see the puck?

I'd love to see the Caps get dirty in the paint and make it a lot tougher on him.

According to Backstrom our traffic in front was to the side instead of directly in front too much

Sep 19, 2008
Before the game Barry Trotz said the Capitals had to put up more shots on goal. They understood that they had to play 60 minutes, not 20. They understood they had to constantly apply pressure and put the dagger in the persistent Flyers and Neuvirth.

So when the game started today and the Capitals at the end of the first had a 14-6 shot advantage on the Flyers, everything was going well. In fact, they had started off the game on a steady shot barrage on Neuvirth.

One goes inevitably goes in the 2nd period. But the Caps had ample, ample chances to tie that game. Winnick even broke away and had a shot on Neuvirth who made an amazing save.

Is this a choke job? Game 6 of the Rangers - Capitals series was a choke job. The Capitals gave up a goal in the first 20 seconds. The Capitals fell behind 2-0 in the first off a last second goal in the 1st. That was a choke.

This game was easily winnable. The issue was that Neuvirth had an inhuman day in net. The Flyers only had ~10 shots the whole game. In fact they had less shots than Game 1. That's hockey.

The Capitals should keep trying to pepper Neuvirth. Eventually a shot is going to go in. What happened today was more an aberration than the norm. One of those 43 shots should have gone in. Unfortunately they didn't. That was just their kind of day.

I can't really get on the Caps for not giving it their all today, because based on the shot totals and the way they played all game, they did give it their all. They tried their best to eliminate Philly today. But Neuvirth singlehandedly kept Philly in this series. The question is whether his play is sustainable. But all year Neuvirth hasn't played that poorly backing up Mason. So I could definitely see this going 7.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This game gave me so much anxiety and heartache, I had to make an account just to talk about it. It was very depressing to see what they did today. I found it unusual that they couldn't score with that many shots. Is it because philly's goalie is that good, or is it because the CAPS are not upping their game? I also noticed that they could never get passed phily defence, and phily would always keep them on the sides. How are they going to improve next game.

I also feel Philadelphia is getting used to the CAPS, or is it CAPS are sucking...

"Because its the Caps!" is the answer you're looking for. Its always the answer to every single question ever.

Don't believe me? Just try it. :nod:

Sep 19, 2008
FYI all the penalties were legit other than Chimera getting 2 minutes in the box for roughing where he clearly didn't contact anyone.

We lost because Neuvirth. Not the penalties. Neuvirth made 43 saves today. That's insane. That's inhuman. Can't say they didn't try because they gave it their damn best.

**** like this happens. Get em Sunday. Just pepper him with INSANE amounts of shots and one of them is bound to go in. Then Holtby plays well and it's 1-0 Caps or 2-1. Because they're not going to give up 6-1 anymore. They have a real goalie in net now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No one gets a gold star for effort. That only looks good in comparison to what should have been an unacceptable 40 minutes in Game 4.

Teams can play max effort and lose if they play dumb and undisciplined and that's mostly what they did tonight. Playing a very impulsive brand of offensive hockey is not going to cut it. It's up-tempo but it isn't crisp and it's never going to be confused with a thinking man's brand of hockey. It's defend and gain a territorial advantage and then, y'know, stuff and things. Their 5-on-5 offensive details are abysmal.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
FYI all the penalties were legit other than Chimera getting 2 minutes in the box for roughing where he clearly didn't contact anyone.

We lost because Neuvirth. Not the penalties. Neuvirth made 43 saves today. That's insane. That's inhuman. Can't say they didn't try because they gave it their damn best.

**** like this happens. Get em Sunday. Just pepper him with INSANE amounts of shots and one of them is bound to go in. Then Holtby plays well and it's 1-0 Caps or 2-1. Because they're not going to give up 6-1 anymore. They have a real goalie in net now.

Not the penalties...not Neuvirth either....he played great but the gameplan from the outset sucked donkeys.

Sep 19, 2008
How did they not get a gold star for effort when they literally played all 60 minutes instead of 20. They just kept shooting at him. And he kept making saves. At that point there's nothing you can do but just hope one goes in. And the whole PROBLEM with this team during the regular season was their lack of SoG during the 1st period, where the other team would just outshoot them and take the lead. That didn't happen here.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I actually believed Caps luck was changing especially after those 2 kinda lucky and kinda awesome goals. But now I realize that Steve Mason is just a goddamn idiot.
And the pucks just keep going off Caps players straight into own net...

:shakehead

I shall never believe again.

bWo*

get to the dirty areas, screen the goalie, stop playing like a bunch of pansies and victory will come

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Random Angerants

Moar shots = more fancies moar goals creates hot goalies. In this case, CapskillerBjorkittystein. Just our ****ing luck.

It sucked to see Chorney late scrambling to get to his man and have that GW deflect off his skate. I was hoping for him to just be invisible as much as he gets talked up here.

I still cannot believe we were never up 3-0 in a series. I thought we had choked away multiple of those.

Oshie is a stud. Thanks Nisky for that proper center ice monster hit on Schenn. Clearly he and a few others upgraded to LED for this one. Williams was a maniac. Chimmer looked cheetah fast. I did like he shot himself into the net. He gave Neuvy a little head shot getting his leg free. Nuevy may need to be crowded and screened to beat him at this point.

I like seeing White with his helmet pulled over his annoying face.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA

That game was a statistical outlier.
Neuvy was outstanding, and he did made some great saves when the Caps were buzzing.

This franchise :shakehead I hope they finish them in game 6. Series s/be over.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They just kept shooting at him. And he kept making saves. At that point there's nothing you can do but just hope one goes in. And the whole PROBLEM with this team during the regular season was their lack of SoG during the 1st period, where the other team would just outshoot them and take the lead. That didn't happen here.
No but there were other underlying issues aside from that. This team never crashed the net much and that's coming to the forefront now that they need to try to create goals in ways beyond their typical easy fancypants fashion. The answer is probably not to do the same damn thing over and over and hope that one sneaks by but focus calmly on teamwork and crispness. Both are areas of weakness 5-on-5 offensively.

Decision-making and crisp pace are crucial to playoff success yet haven't improved in-season in either Trotz year. Defensive structure, Holtby and raw skill aren't enough. Until they start thinking the game at a higher level offensively and play with the composure of a team fully engaged on a consistent basis they're going to lose to teams that are more polished. That's where killer instinct is found. In Games 4 & 5 in many ways they beat themselves and from here their history enters the limelight.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013

Not arguing with the logic. But we have a 20+ year history of making mediocre goalies look like God's in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad