GDT: Game 5: Avs @ Preds | 4/20, 7:30pm MT | Hopefully this isn't the End

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hammond for sure could be at least a backup in NHL, long term, I found it very funny and strange how some of you still questioning him. What else he need to do for proving himself for you? (He has already proved himself for Bednar, I can assure you that.)

His earlier streaks and the game yesterday are no flukes. Being a goalie in Ottawa is tough almost like it used to be in Toronto and he also had some tough competition.

Being a hockey expert is an extremely difficult thing and sometimes we all should be a bit more humble I think (including me).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hammond for sure could be at least a backup in NHL, long term, I found it very funny and strange how some of you still questioning him. What else he need to do for proving himself for you? (He has already proved Bednar, I can assure you that.)

His earlier streaks and the game yesterday are no flukes. Being a goalie in Ottawa is tough almost like it used to be in Toronto and he also had some tough competition.
Yeah, but there's a reason Ottawa wanted to dump his salary in the Duchene trade. He's streaky at best, and he's on a hot streak right now, but that's like saying Andrighetto is now a goal per game player based on his last game. You can't just ignore his entire body of work up till now.

Reactions: MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yeah, but there's a reason Ottawa wanted to dump his salary in the Duchene trade. He's streaky at best, and he's on a hot streak right now, but that's like saying Andrighetto is now a goal per game player based on his last game. You can't just ignore his entire body of work up till now.

The streaks like Hammonds are no fluke but of course he won't be able to play like that consistently (no one can).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hammond for sure could be at least a backup in NHL, long term, I found it very funny and strange how some of you still questioning him. What else he need to do for proving himself for you? (He has already proved himself for Bednar, I can assure you that.)

Being a hockey expert is an extremely difficult thing and sometimes we all should be a bit more humble I think (including me).

More than a few games for starters. I saw when he crumbled in Ottawa and it wasnt pretty. I want him to succeed here but if you are anointing him back up full time next season we might be in massive trouble especially when Varlys groin blows up again.

Reactions: MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
More than a few games for starters. I saw when he crumbled in Ottawa and it wasnt pretty. I want him to succeed here but if you are anointing him back up full time next season we might be in massive trouble especially when Varlys groin blows up again.

Just like Toronto used to be a graveyard for goalies Ottawa is a tough city/team to play for as a goalie. Not even a great talent like Lehner made it in Ottawa but it didn't mean he was bad, he was the goalie for the Senators.

I also doubt Bernier would have better stats than Hammond as a goalie for San Antonio. I rank them about the same but it looks like Hammond is a big game goalie.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Also stupid trades including stupid waiver actions is a common thing in the NHL.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I know hating on Bernier is all the rage right now but come on guys. He's a huge reason we even made the playoffs. Hammond's one superstar game doesn't jump him over Bernier for next seeason.

Let's see what happens tomorrow first?
Exactly we could be wanting to burn ole hammy in effigy depending on his performance tommorow. I hope he makes 30 saves in a win tmmrw night.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah Hammond as a third is fine with me. Let's not forget that the games Bernier played he wasn't even practicing with the team because he had an injury so he could be more ready for the games. The Bernier we saw in the playoffs is not the Bernier we saw during most of the season. With that being said even if he is ready to go for next game I think Hammond deserves the next start.

Reactions: klozge and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Recency bias is everywhere on HFB, but in particular goalies get it the worst. Somebody proposed last week to acquire Holtby to be our BACKUP next year. Now people are already christening Hammond a backup based on one amazing performance. Everybody was happy with Varly in March when he was a brick wall, but the instant he hurt his knee we all went back to thinking how we can get rid of him.

Goalies, of all positions, need the largest sample size possible to evaluate them. Hammond has a pretty long track record as a hot-and-cold netminder. So does Bernier, for that matter. We needed three hot streaks from him this season, and we got two. Hammond came up big last night, but let's not base our entire evaluation of him as a player on two hot streaks three years apart.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Was Varly's most recent injury groin related?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think what people forget is that even the best goalies in the league have below average save percentages something like 40% of the time. And even the worst goalies in the league sometimes put up amazing performances. You really don't know what you have in a goalie until you've seen them play a bunch of games. We have no clue what Hammond really is. We have some idea bout Bernier, and we have a very good idea about Varly. None of the three, in my opinion, are a long-term solution for this team. I'd like to see Bernier back next season unless Joe and company can swing a trade for Varly's eventual replacement.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Was Varly's most recent injury groin related?
No, it was a hyperextended knee. A freak accident that could have happened to any goalie who got run over in his crease. That's why I'm not ready to ditch Varly just yet. He was looking like his old self up until the minute he got injured in the middle of pitching a shutout. I wouldn't extend him right away this summer, but let's go ahead and see if he really is back to form next year. I can't imagine that his trade value right now is high enough to make it worth moving on from him now to avoid losing him to free agency.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
No, it was a hyperextended knee. A freak accident that could have happened to any goalie who got run over in his crease. That's why I'm not ready to ditch Varly just yet. He was looking like his old self up until the minute he got injured in the middle of pitching a shutout. I wouldn't extend him right away this summer, but let's go ahead and see if he really is back to form next year. I can't imagine that his trade value right now is high enough to make it worth moving on from him now to avoid losing him to free agency.

I read a few optimistic stories before the season began about Varly and his hip surgeries, with the lastest one being sucessfull and hopefully wont need another hip surgery. Hopefully Varly can show us what he is made of next season before we decide to re-sign him or not.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Hammond was a salary dump for Sens but he probably pays for his own salary with an extra homegame in the playoffs for Avs.
I’m sure the avs clear at minimum 2M per home game. Pure profit with no player salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00