GDT: Game 5: Avs @ Preds | 4/20, 7:30pm MT | Hopefully this isn't the End

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Hammond had a great game. Bernier won 9 in a row earlier this season.

I’ll take Bernier, he’s been a key part of our roster this season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't really see why Hammond can't be a decent backup. I would obviously prefer Bernier, but technique wise, I haven't noticed anything particularly bad with Hammond that makes him not NHL quality. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
IDK, maybe Hammond is one of those guys that just needs to be challenged to play well. He said in his postgame interview, that in the most important times he tries to elevate his game to another level. Maybe he's simply better when he needs to put his balls are on the table, and not in what he perceives as somewhat meaningless regular season games? Perhaps his numbers in the minors were a result of his circumstances and he just played half-assed?

That's not the ideals of a true starter in the NHL, IMO, but if he can be good when you need him to be good, he's probably ok for a back up. Give him 25 or so games, challange him to win them all.

But like has been already said, I'd still resign Bernier for a couple years, and go with Varly and him. Hammond's 2 starts, and one relief appearance, isn't enough to promote him at this point.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I don't really see why Hammond can't be a decent backup. I would obviously prefer Bernier, but technique wise, I haven't noticed anything particularly bad with Hammond that makes him not NHL quality. Can anyone else chime in on this?

They most probably can't... ;-) we are all free to have opinions though. I do agree that Hammond need more starts before promoting him though.

Also, yes, perhaps he is a big game goalie, thriving under pressure, not sure. We all know that people react very different under pressure and stress. I see this almost day at my work as well, some turn into bitches blaming other people while some rise to the challenge and thrive.

Hammond obviously had amazing stretches before in his career and I don't think it's a fluke but the question is why he is having consistency issues. One reason may have been the general hockey climate in Ottawa and the tough competition from Anderson, Lehner etc. It's probably tough to play for Canadian teams in general, hockey is almost a religion in Canada like soccer in Italy, Brasil or England, the pressure is huge from a majority of all people, it concerns a lot of people. Frederik Andersen in Toronto is the first goalie in many, many years to successfully handle the pressure in Toronto. Not to forget, it's not only about the goalies, the other players and the management obviously having huge impact too. Judging goalies playing for poor teams is an extremely difficult task, many "experts" are failing doing this on a regular basis. (OT: Talking about Toronto and Ottawa they have made an increadibly large number of stupid trades during the years, totally amazing I would say.)

The major issue with Hammond is probably him being injury-prone and health issues (?), now let's ride his hot streak.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad