GDT: Game 5: Avs @ Preds | 4/20, 7:30pm MT | Hopefully this isn't the End

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs could do one hell of a lot worse for a #3 goalie than Hammond. I mean... they came into the season with Martin/Cannata as the #3. I say re-sign Hamburgler for the #3 role... with Varly’s injuries (and Bernier too if he comes back), Hammond would likely be up half the season anyway.
For an AHL gig, maybe. But he most definitely is not someone you want backing up full time at the NHL level.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For those that want to relive that tying goal moment.

Some big plays on this shift that led to the goal. Barrie walking the blueline like he does so well to keep the puck in the zone. MacKinnon hustling like crazy to hold the puck in along the wall, and then just putting it on net, which got deflected to Mikko.

Nate stretching like crazy at the blueline, and Landy realizing he was gonna be too far behind and sending a rocket pass right on the tape to MacKinnon might have been the biggest moment though. It allowed them to keep possession in the zone, cause some chaos, and wear out the Preds. It was definitely onside too.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Some big plays on this shift that led to the goal. Barrie walking the blueline like he does so well and keep the puck in the zone. MacKinnon hustling like crazy to hold the puck in, and then just putting a puck on net which got deflected to Mikko.

Nate stretching like crazy at the blueline, and Landy realizing he was gonna be too far behind and sending a rocket pass right on the tape to MacKinnon might have been the biggest moment though. It allowed them to keep possession in the zone, cause some chaos, and wear out the Preds. It was definitely onside too.

Everyone just played such a huge role on that shift. All 5 guys. Even Zadorov's contributions were huge. Joins the initial rush to get the first shot that gets blocked, then makes the cross seam pass to MacKinnon which sets up the initial Barrie shot that Rinne made a hell of a save on, then pinches at the best possible time to take away Arvidsson's time and space allowing MacKinnon to hold the line at the point and have a lot of time to make a play.

Just fantastic contributions from all 5 guys, all 5 core pieces on this team. Nikita Zadorov is showing me more than ever this series that he is going to be a top-4 defensemen for a long time, and a guy that is going to be able to log heavyyyyy minutes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For an AHL gig, maybe. But he most definitely is not someone you want backing up full time at the NHL level.

He is kinda the perfect #3, because most of the time you're only gonna see your #3 in moments like last game. When both your goalies are out of the lineup, and your team is sulking a little bit because of it. You need a goaltender that relishes big moments, and can steal games. Even if he might not be able to duplicate that level of play consistently in the NHL. That's The Hamburgler.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Some big plays on this shift that led to the goal. Barrie walking the blueline like he does so well and keep the puck in the zone. MacKinnon hustling like crazy to hold the puck in, and then just putting a puck on net which got deflected to Mikko.

f***ing goosebumps

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'd much rather the Avs try to solidify their 1-2 spots instead of lining up goalies with the expectation that they will go down lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seems like over the last few years, there have been a lot of quality goalies on the market. The key is to catch them at the right times. It's a tough thing to do

We caught one of the better ones flying around last summer, but here we are talking about needing to upgrade still :dunno:

E:
If we can get a stud for a good price, go for it. But if not, suring up the trio we have now would be perfectly fine. I'd rather focus our assets on a 2nd star center to lead the 2nd line with Jost first and see where we stand asset wise after that before spending big on a goalie who isn't a true stallion.

Reactions: avsfan09

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Some big plays on this shift that led to the goal. Barrie walking the blueline like he does so well to keep the puck in the zone. MacKinnon hustling like crazy to hold the puck in along the wall, and then just putting it on net, which got deflected to Mikko.

Z not only prevented Arvidsson from clearing it clean he also hurt the midget. Arvidsson couldnt really move and thats how Mackinnon had all that room after he turned Subban into a white girl wasted flailing buffoon.

Reactions: Avs_19

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
The Avs could do one hell of a lot worse for a #3 goalie than Hammond. I mean... they came into the season with Martin/Cannata as the #3. I say re-sign Hamburgler for the #3 role... with Varly’s injuries (and Bernier too if he comes back), Hammond would likely be up half the season anyway.

Could you imagine if he answered our goalie woes and became our starter for years to come :laugh:

Would really put the nail in the coffin in that trade. The lowest piece in the deal becoming a starter. I'm not saying this is really possible mind you.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Everyone just played such a huge role on that shift. All 5 guys. Even Zadorov's contributions were huge. Joins the initial rush to get the first shot that gets blocked, then makes the cross seam pass to MacKinnon which sets up the initial Barrie shot that Rinne made a hell of a save on, then pinches at the best possible time to take away Arvidsson's time and space allowing MacKinnon to hold the line at the point and have a lot of time to make a play.

Just fantastic contributions from all 5 guys, all 5 core pieces on this team. Nikita Zadorov is showing me more than ever this series that he is going to be a top-4 defensemen for a long time, and a guy that is going to be able to log heavyyyyy minutes.

How can you say he isn't already a top-4? Been playing top 2 pairings all year and well. He still needs some grooming obviously but I'm thinking #1 D. Having him but a good #2 would be ideal though

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
If Bernier had been in net last night, we wouldn't be having a Game 6. He just hasn't been able to come up with the big save for us. Hammond had ice in his veins last night.

That injury was a blessing in disguise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I did say the #3 spot...
Sure, but the original question originated from a poster asking if Hammond could back up next season.
How can you say he isn't already a top-4? Been playing top 2 pairings all year and well. He still needs some grooming obviously but I'm thinking #1 D. Having him but a good #2 would be ideal though
He is a top-4 defensemen right now. But he had his warts throughout the season. He's cleaned up his game immensely these playoffs.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad