GDT: Game 5: 10/12/2019 - Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So, 5 games in and I have a question. How does DeKeyser have a +5 and Hronek a 0? Weren't they paired most of the time? Wouldn't most of the differences be their responsibilities for their sides of the special teams where plus/minus doesn't count? It's just weird that there's such a disparity so quickly into the season.

They have played 53 minutes together and 37 minutes separated.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Wings had a bad game and still could have won, while completely shutting down their 50 million dollar overpaid top six Leafs. Mantha still beasted them with some sneaky ringers off the goal posts. Howard had a brain fart and got scored on by some scrub. What a freebie.

Wings are supposed to draft top 5, while Toronto is supposed to make the playoffs

This is kinda how I feel about that game; not that bad even though they lost. They certainly look lightyears better than what I remember them looking like this time last season. That's encouraging.

The team is still rebuilding and is likely a couple years away from competing for a playoff spot. They've got no depth up front and are still a mess on the back end. Gonna take time for them to move kids into the lineup and then wait for them to figure out the game at the NHL level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think we've seen Hirose enough on that line to see it isnt working. That would be a decent spot to try Svechnikov, and now that hes been up practicing with the team for a while I think he deserves a shot in the line up after that last game. Hard to change the line up when you've been winning but time for a little shake up. Hirose has spent less time in Detrots system, he hasnt earned any extra leeway over a guy like Svechnikov

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think we've seen Hirose enough on that line to see it isnt working. That would be a decent spot to try Svechnikov, and now that hes been up practicing with the team for a while I think he deserves a shot in the line up after that last game. Hard to change the line up when you've been winning but time for a little shake up. Hirose has spent less time in Detrots system, he hasnt earned any extra leeway over a guy like Svechnikov

Hirose has been the worst guy up front this season for me. I think it is time for a press box visit for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Team will go nowhere until we get ANY kind of scoring from our 2nd and 3rd lines and play better defensively.

Cholowski a -4. Oof.

Bring Svechnikov in, split the 1st line talent, bring Rasmussen in, bring Biega in.

Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - AA - Svechnikov
Helm - DLR - Abdelkader
Erne - Filppula - Glendening

Bench Hirose and Ehn. Nielsen still injured.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Cholowski - Biega

Bench Bowey. Ericsson and Daley injured.

Reactions: aar000n

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
For me it looked like Bowey puts Cholowski to suffer.

I'd try Biega there instead of Bowey.
Just bring Seider and Biega and send Cholowski and Bowey to GR. Cholowski wasn't good at all and couple games for Seider in NHL will help kid a lot to develop

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bring Svechnikov in, split the 1st line talent, bring Rasmussen in, bring Biega in.

Helm - DLR - Abdelkader

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Cholowski - Biega

One small change Seider for Cholowski, other wise agree 100%

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Well wishes for Jimmy D
Blashill was among many who have offered well wishes to long-time Red Wings executive and Hall-of-Famer Jimmy Devellano, who is having surgery Monday for a non-cancerous brain tumor.
“I just want to pass along my thoughts, certainly my prayers are with Jimmy Devellano for a successful surgery on Monday,” Blashill said. “I hope in a month from now it’s not a big deal at all, but obviously, anytime anybody goes under surgery, there are certain risks. Been thinking about Jimmy the last few days here; he’s a great man, a great Red Wing and has been a great mentor to me.”

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just bring Seider and Biega and send Cholowski and Bowey to GR. Cholowski wasn't good at all and couple games for Seider in NHL will help kid a lot to develop

Seider was pretty bad himself on Friday night in the league below this one... Not sure that is going to matter to your logic here. I don't understand your quest to see Cholowski down a level. They aren't all going to be amazing games every night, but he has played better than last year and is currently one of our best 6, I would argue our #5 pretty solidly right now, one minus game doesn't totally knock him out of the lineup especially with a couple of those being on Howard in my opinion.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Seider was pretty bad himself on Friday night in the league below this one... Not sure that is going to matter to your logic here. I don't understand your quest to see Cholowski down a level. They aren't all going to be amazing games every night, but he has played better than last year and is currently one of our best 6, I would argue our #5 pretty solidly right now, one minus game doesn't totally knock him out of the lineup especially with a couple of those being on Howard in my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure from a development standpoint that they want Seider jumping between clubs this season. Yzerman seems to subscribe to the Holland philosophy of liking stability for players. I'd be pretty surprised if Seider sees anything more than 9 games towards the end of the season, and that's if he plays well.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Helm - DLR - Abdelkader

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Cholowski - Biega

Absolutely not

We suck
We should want to suck

Leave the top line together and that's it

No reason to ruin the franchises chances of future success to lose less badly tomorrow (and at best that's all that changes)

Ras
Svech
Zadina
Valeno
Seider

All year in GR

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think Cholowski is better than last year. Team is better ,that's all.
I don't like AHL as develop for 18 years old. Not much skills there , but physicality NHL level. There are nobody there to learn from. SHL, KHL, college are better place to develop your skills, but for grinders it just place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad