GDT: Game 5: 10/12/2019 - Detroit Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Leafs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We're gonna see a lot of this all season long.

Opponents can focus most of their energy at shutting down the top line and see if someone else will step up and score. You're not gonna win a lot of games if Helm and De La Rose are the only goal scorers.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- the gunsmoke line might be the best 200' line in nhl = very high level of play with or without puck . the chemistry and intelligence of line is elite level stuff .
- getting on the delarose bandwagon now , grinding up a storm
- hroneks hinting around at being a legit 1st pairing guy on a championship team

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
So, 5 games in and I have a question. How does DeKeyser have a +5 and Hronek a 0? Weren't they paired most of the time? Wouldn't most of the differences be their responsibilities for their sides of the special teams where plus/minus doesn't count? It's just weird that there's such a disparity so quickly into the season.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
To that end, Abby and Helm are looking like NHL players again, and De La Rose had a great night.

Keep all those guys where they're at; as long as the contacts don't hamper the team in the future, that's where they should be.

I know Howard isn't to blame, but at this point, he's not an NHL starter. This season is going to be a roller coaster.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm really happy with De La Rose, he's carving out a role in this teams future. A small role but a role none the less.
BLM looked dangerous even though they didn't get on the board. They're going to have frustrating nights since teams are going to be dialed in on them. If they can't overcome that often enough come 10-20 games in they may have to be split up.
Glendening was flying in the first half. He's a great example for the younger guys and deserves the A.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Would like to see the middle two lines be put into a blender. Mix it up. They were hopeless tonight.

AA- Fil - Hirose
Erne - Glendening - Ehn

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
- the gunsmoke line might be the best 200' line in nhl = very high level of play with or without puck . the chemistry and intelligence of line is elite level stuff .
- getting on the delarose bandwagon now , grinding up a storm
- hroneks hinting around at being a legit 1st pairing guy on a championship team
It's probably PTSD from Kindl but my main concern with Hronek is willingness to take a hit to make a play.

I've seen him bail out and make a bad play when going into corners. Hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Two deserved minus 4s if I've ever seen them.

Tell you what...Hirose has crept up my list of players to remove from the lineup specifically because I wasn’t sold on him coming into the season. He didn’t seem to really outplay anyone, but got the nod. With that waiver eligibility and Nielsen is set to return on the road trip, I would hope Svechnikov rotates in and Hirose might catch a quick ride back to GR.

He still looks physically behind the curve, and mentally he doesn’t look the same. What made him so effective last year was how quick his decisions came. He had his mind made up before the puck was on his stick; this year it feels like he’s making an effort to be patient and hold the puck for an extra beat, and it’s just allowing a checker to close the distance and take his options away.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We're gonna see a lot of this all season long.

Opponents can focus most of their energy at shutting down the top line and see if someone else will step up and score. You're not gonna win a lot of games if Helm and De La Rose are the only goal scorers.
They lost to the Leafs' third and fourth lines. Our 4th line had one of their best games in the last 3 years The issue was really the middle 6, Blash needs to reshuffle those lines and put Svech in for Hirose or Ehn.

Svech was practicing on the 4th line, that line does not need to be broken up, he needs to be middle 6 anyways.

Cholo had a bad game, no real options until Daley comes back. I'd rather see Cholo over Hicketts or Lashoff even if he's struggling a bit.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Tell you what...Hirose has crept up my list of players to remove from the lineup specifically because I wasn’t sold on him coming into the season. He didn’t seem to really outplay anyone, but got the nod. With that waiver eligibility and Nielsen is set to return on the road trip, I would hope Svechnikov rotates in and Hirose might catch a quick ride back to GR.

He still looks physically behind the curve, and mentally he doesn’t look the same. What made him so effective last year was how quick his decisions came. He had his mind made up before the puck was on his stick; this year it feels like he’s making an effort to be patient and hold the puck for an extra beat, and it’s just allowing a checker to close the distance and take his options away.
I feel the same, I didn't have much concern until preseason, then I was thinking "I don't remember him getting stuck with the puck so much" maybe the other teams are just closing on him quicker, Idk. I hope Svech goes on the trip and plays for him, Cholo was the only worse Wing tonight, but it was basically a tie.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Mantha returning to human levels (Still generating chances though) is reminding us the team hasn’t changed a lot from last year. We’re on the path but it’s gonna be rough.

Reactions: Realgud

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just realized or next game is in Vancouver, any chance Cholo gets scratched for Biega for his hometown trip?

Second year in a row he was atrocious before the Vancouver away game.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

I agree...would like to see him get some more top 6 time in GR so he can work on his strength. He’s just not strong enough with the puck and looks a little timid when people come at him. We stopped playing with speed towards the end of the 2nd and it caught up to us. But these are the games we will start winning more in 1-2 years, so I’m not too concerned. Just never happy losing to Toronto.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Mantha returning to human levels (Still generating chances though) is reminding us the team hasn’t changed a lot from last year. We’re on the path but it’s gonna be rough.
Human levels? A Leafs fan came into our thread to call him a cheat code.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad