GDT: Game 49: Avs vs Blues | 7 PM MT | January 22, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I worry about that as well. The 20 year old is the one doing the babysitting on that pairing. In the short time he has been up, they've already almost given up a few goals because of Redmond's mistakes leading to odd man rushes the other way.

I actually see the babysitting Bigras is doing as a good thing. You know a few years from now, we might have some young guy that has some skills but needs a partner that can babysit him. Bigras is showing at young age he is able to be the consistent/reliable one on a pairing, it's only going to make him better when he gets an opportunity to play with some higher quality players, and it also gives the coaching staff confidence that if they have a need for this type of babysitting/mentoring in the future he can fill that role as well. It's kind of like what Beauchemin just did for Zadorov, except Beauchemin probably wasn't capable of doing that when he was 20, which is why it super impressive to me what Bigras is doing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It was really nice to not be hemmed into our own zone because of our defense, Tanguay is like banging you're head against the wall for the tenth time though. However it's nice playing top teams and being on even footing with them.

We really do need to figure out the winger situation badly though if they want to continue to advance. Our top line is severely handicapped.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually see the babysitting Bigras is doing as a good thing. You know a few years from now, we might have some young guy that has some skills but needs a partner that can babysit him. Bigras is showing at young age he is able to be the consistent/reliable one on a pairing, it's only going to make him better when he gets an opportunity to play with some higher quality players, and it also gives the coaching staff confidence that if they have a need for this type of babysitting/mentoring in the future he can fill that role as well. It's kind of like what Beauchemin just did for Zadorov, except Beauchemin probably wasn't capable of doing that when he was 20, which is why it super impressive to me what Bigras is doing.

I think Bigras is capable of babysitting Redmond, I just don't think that's the best way to develop him. He's already one of the smartest D men on the team, and one of the best at getting the puck out of harms way when a forechecker is on him, even when it looks like he's in trouble. But at the same time, he could still benefit from playing with a steady vet that will talk to him, and also let him play more with the puck.

Redmond won't let Bigras play with the puck because he thinks he's Bobby Orr out there. Bigras makes infinitely better passes, and reads on jumping into the play than Redmond does, and should be further developing this side of his game at the NHL level, but he's got to hang back for Redmond to make his crap passes and crap reads on when to jump into the play.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Should be interesting to see what Redmond does now that he'll feel a little more safe on the roster now.

Probably just more indecisive and poorly executed suicide stretch passes, followed by chasing the puck around frantically, out of position the entire time, as opposing forwards cycle the puck after intercepting his aforementioned awful pass.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is the wrong move by Roy. I can't see any rationale for leaving Redmond in the lineup.

We're relying on a 20 year old 1st year pro to babysit Zach Redmond, and that 20 year old is most likely going to see only 10-12 minutes per night. You KNOW Roy is going to use Beauchemin-EJ for 25-27 minutes and is also going to have Holden-Barrie out there for 22-25 minutes.

The best defence he could have iced was to keep Zadorov with Beauchemin and stick Bigras with EJ, and when he needs it roll out Beauchemin and EJ together to lock things down.

Will the AHL hurt Zadorov's development? Absolutely not. He'll go down there, and there is no Chris Bigras anymore, and he'll play 25-30 minutes per night and dominate. I'm not worried about him, though I don't think this demotion was deserved because there was FAR more good than bad.

Honestly, my prediction is that within ~5 games we see Bigras sent down and Nate Guenin finds his way back into the lineup alongside Redmond, with the 3rd pairing playing for 10 minutes per night.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hate to see Zads go but I'm just going to try not to think about it. Regardless of the reasoning he's a better defenseman than Redmond and even is less of a risk than Redmond. I don't like the decision as we're in the thick of a playoff race where we're 3 points up but whatever.

On the other hand congratulations to Chris Bigras. You made it, kid. If the way he adapted to the AHL and the way he adapted to the NHL from game 1 to game 5 is any indication there is no chance he's ever sent down again. Kid is going to improve more and more each week.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think the only reason of doing this is that Roy prefers to have LHD-RHD pairings and Zads i LHD. Right now we aren't very deep on RHD and Roy if wants to keep his philosophy needs to play Redmond

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think the only reason of doing this is that Roy prefers to have LHD-RHD pairings and Zads i LHD. Right now we aren't very deep on RHD and Roy if wants to keep his philosophy needs to play Redmond

Well he just played with Beauch all his games. LH LH, so that can't be accurate. Redmond can go fly a kite, I would rather have Guenin in.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Well he just played with Beauch all his games. LH LH, so that can't be accurate. Redmond can go fly a kite, I would rather have Guenin in.
He did It because the only option was playing Guenin. I'd take Redmond over Guenin any day Of the week and twice on Sunday

Still I would like to see Beauch with Zads and EJ with Bigras but we can only hope Roy will give Zads and Bigras a chance even with EJ healthy in the future

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While Redmond is trying passes above his pay grade, I think he's been ok defensively the last couple of games. He's even starting to take a few hits to get the puck out.

If competition keeps him on his toes, it's good for Avs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Freud, good call. Absolutely noticed Redmond willing to take a hit from a forechecker over the last couple of games. Seems Barrie pumping his tires about being a physical specimen at the gala raised his courage level. :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
To re-activate EJ they have to send someone down. They are not allowed to send NewBalls down (30 day rule). That leaves Guenin, Redmond, Zadorov and Bigras. The last two are easier to send down I guess.

I don't think there is such a rule.

Guenin has already cleared, so he is easy as well.

I think Roy was hoping for a bit more from Zads, and for now wants him to go down and keep working on those little things for the next month.

I still think Redmond is getting a bit of the play for a trade treatment. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he is moved at the deadline for added depth up front for the playoffs (I think Sakic and Roy always plan for the playoffs until they are completely out).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Guenin prevails!

So4WUCI.gif

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's unfair we have a game tonight, last night is the kind of night you want to enjoy the afterglow for a bit. Plus a physical, intense, highly emotional game then with travel on a b2b, it's going to be a defensive **** show I tonight I predict.

One thing I mentioned last night but think it's worth mentioning again is that I like that we can play even with the Blues, usually before we looked like little kids trying to hang with them.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think there is such a rule.

Guenin has already cleared, so he is easy as well.

I think Roy was hoping for a bit more from Zads, and for now wants him to go down and keep working on those little things for the next month.

I still think Redmond is getting a bit of the play for a trade treatment. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he is moved at the deadline for added depth up front for the playoffs (I think Sakic and Roy always plan for the playoffs until they are completely out).

Yeah I think the 30 days applies if you want to keep him and send him down, if you want to just get rid of him and hope his original team takes him I don't think there's a rule either. I looked in the damn CBA for it too. I guess they like Chuck for some reason. He and Guenin can keep eating nachos. At least we know Bigras won't eat nachos while he's here.

Roy said Z was better defensively but wants him to cut down on the turnovers, I suppose that's fair.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I am fine with Z going down. He will get all the minutes in SA, to be able to work on the turnovers while still refining his offense. He would be playing limited minutes with the Avs, even next to Bigras. He is young enough to still have plenty of mistakes to make, and he will get them made and out of the way quicker with 27 minutes a night in SA than he would with 11min/night with the Avs. And opponents will be less likely to capitalize on them in the AHL do less damage to his confidence (not that I think it is an issue for him).

Bigras on the other hand is done developing in the AHL. I do not see him getting nearly as much benefit from being down there. Even with limited minutes, he will gain experience with the big club by watching the top 4, listening to them on the bench, and practices with Roy, et al. His level of intelligence allows this...he will learn regardless of big minutes, and will be a steadying influence on the bottom pair (odd to say that of a rookie). And if any of the tp 4 go down again, he can fill in better than Gman or Body, who would slot in on bottom pair, and get 6 minutes...maybe.

Yes, it would have been nice to see them try Z-B'rah as a bottom pair (just thought of that pairing nickname...stupid I know, but going with it for now). But we all knew Roy would not pair a couple of rookies, nor was he realistically going to split EJ-Beauch once healthy. Z needs the minutes, so he goes down. Bigras does not need them, and is our best possible partner for Redmond (aside from Noreau in SA :) ). So he stays up...until he retires IMO.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Jesus Roy, you could have just said that he needs to improve his fitness, you didn't have to be mean and specific about it.

I think saying he needs to work on fitness, especially midway through the season, is meaner than saying turnovers. One is a skill that he has to learn and develop. The other indicates laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad