GDT: Game 49: Avs vs Blues | 7 PM MT | January 22, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Funny. O'Reilly had a similar look last game when Beauchemin's shot went in.

So true. I think these guys are starting to realize they had it pretty good here, and the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You know sometimes it's more fun to play with your friends and guys you've played with your whole career than it is to take extra million a year.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
So true. I think these guys are starting to realize they had it pretty good here, and the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You know sometimes it's more fun to play with your friends and guys you've played with your whole career than it is to take extra million a year.

I really don't think ROR cares. He's making way more money and is the main man in Buffalo.

I do think Stastny wishes he stayed. Won't be surprised if he's back in Colorado before his career finishes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yep. Anderson as well, but i do agree that for the most part a lot of players haven't lasted long after leaving Colorado the past 5-6 years

Anderson has done well, but hes been a patchwork job for the Sens IMO. He's also made Varly's injury issues seem non existent lol.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
dont forget the flash
he played with a bad knee here then tor it up for those bums in cali

Thought he went to Florida, did ok for a season and died out. If I remember correctly wasn't he a PTO this season for whatever team?

Edit : Oh and there is Parenteau, damn the Leafs really wanted former Avs badly. I guess that went a lot further than just their fans wanting our players eh?

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Serious question, who was the last player to have success after being traded or let go by the Avs?

Seems like it's been a while, obviously O'Reilly and McGinn are doing fine on their rebuilding team, but...

Stastny, Stewart, Wolski, Downie..? Not many have went on to bigger and better things IMO.

I kinda wonder if our system makes some players better than they are. Not many went on to be superstar outside the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I kinda wonder if our system makes some players better than they are. Not many went on to be superstar outside the team.

I just think we've cut the cord at the right times with a lot of these guys, despite what we all thought at the time.

Can't say the fans were right about Flash,Stastny or Stewart, everyone else we wanted gone for the most part.

Stastny would have been worth keeping if he had reasonable contract demands.

Kirk was probably the only 'one that got away' tbH, we knew what we were doing when trading O'Reilly obviously.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Serious question, who was the last player to have success after being traded or let go by the Avs?

Seems like it's been a while, obviously O'Reilly and McGinn are doing fine on their rebuilding team, but...

Stastny, Stewart, Wolski, Downie..? Not many have went on to bigger and better things IMO.
Brian Elliott has to be mentioned.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I refuse to count that lol, guy plays like a ECHL goalie for us for a few games and turns into a Vezina guy behind the Blues defense and goaltending coaching we did not have at the time.

He still has not solidified himself as a starting goaltender. Even if he does have some outstanding performances here and there.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Absouletly. He's been great for St Louis. Just look at him tonight, he was the only thing keeping us from running away with the game tonight imo.

That was really fun hockey. Outside of the refs blowing the goal it was close and fast paced all game.

Sad about Z coming out... He did have one horrendous shift that must have put it over the edge. I didn't see him pretty much at all after that. He'll be up before the end of the season imo.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can see that Redmond doesn't deserve 1 minute of his icetime. Just a complete calamity out there night in and night out. You can try and reason all you want, but it is ********. That idiot has squandered enough icetime. Send him down.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Stastny doesn't belong on that list. Both years he's had injuries, and his first year he needed some acclimatization. He's not worth his contract, but he's still doing great with the Blues.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was pretty confident after Bigras first game that he was gonna stay, because I knew he would just get better and better as he got comfortable. Might not ever get sent down again. Had a bit of an off game the other night, but good for him for playing well dragging around that dead carcass every shift.

Can't say I like sending Zadorov down and keeping Redmond. Redmond is just a nightmare out there. It's bad enough that he stays in the lineup, but I really think he's bringing down Bigras. He constantly has to cover for his positional mistakes, and lost battles. I think keeping the pairings the way they were, and matching BIgras with EJ would easily have been the best approach to winning games, but oh well.

Tyson was just an absolute beast tonight. Dominated the game from start to finish. Made that tying goal happen just as much as Dutchy with his great pass, Beauch with his brilliant stick lift, and Nate with his whiffed shot. :laugh:

Soda had a pretty poor first couple periods. Made a terrible pass off the mark early after he was setup for a wide open chance. Then made two really bad turnovers that lead to the Blues goal. Credit to him though, whenever he makes a bad play he works his but off the rest of the shift, and in similar fashion he played like a man possessed after causing that goal. Should have been rewarded with that early whistle goal.

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't that reviewable? That's an easy review. If the puck's free, and the ref blows the whistle right when the pucks knocked in, that's a ten second review for a good goal. No brainer IMO. Let the ref look at the review to see if the puck was free, and he can make the determination. That lets him save face.

Elliott was awesome tonight, but if you get to a shootout against Varly, you're in trouble.

Very even, hard fought game. That was a hard fought point, let alone a great two points. Keep it going boys.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can't say I like sending Zadorov down and keeping Redmond. Redmond is just a nightmare out there. It's bad enough that he stays in the lineup, but I really think he's bringing down Bigras. He constantly has to cover for his positional mistakes, and lost battles. I think keeping the pairings the way they were, and matching BIgras with EJ would easily have been the best approach to winning games, but oh well.

I worry about that as well. The 20 year old is the one doing the babysitting on that pairing. In the short time he has been up, they've already almost given up a few goals because of Redmond's mistakes leading to odd man rushes the other way.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Zadarov news aside, I was just happy to watch a competitive team that wasn't stuck in there own end for most of the game relying on Varly to bail them out time after time. Sure, there were a few moments like that but I remember a few years back when it seemed STL just had their way with Avs every game. Refreshing!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is it just me or was there a bit of a groan from the fans in the third period whenever Tanguay made a mistake or the puck bounced away from him? Could be me hearing things or something directed at the team in general too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is it just me or was there a bit of a groan from the fans in the third period whenever Tanguay made a mistake or the puck bounced away from him? Could be me hearing things or something directed at the team in general too.

I think I noticed that too, though I can't remember which play it was.

Love that classic offsides by Tangs in the 1st though blowing the 3 on 2. Sees he's ahead of the puck, starts to drag a leg like an inch, and then as if he's afraid his groin's gonna explode, just changes his mind and starts skating again. For the life of me I can't figure out why he's done this his entire career.

I'm sure Nate and Dutchy love him as a teammate, but you got to think that's driving them crazy considering how often he's blowing chances for them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He actually had 1 or 2 games in there where he looked solid but then went back to playing poorly again. Get him back down to 14 mins or so and he might not be bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad