GDT: Game 47: Panthers @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 7PM

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Even with how bad they've been lately, I'd still be shelling out the cash for season tickets if I knew someone that would go in on a full season and actually pay for their ticket. To get the casual fan though, the product has to be better. That's the market we live in. Just look at the Dbacks and Suns attendance when they are wining vs when they suck. There aren't enough hard core fans to consistently sell out anything but football but if you play exciting hockey and win, they will come. If not, I don't care where you put the arena, the attendance will suck after the honeymoon and newness wears off.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Even with how bad they've been lately, I'd still be shelling out the cash for season tickets if I knew someone that would go in on a full season and actually pay for their ticket. To get the casual fan though, the product has to be better. That's the market we live in. Just look at the Dbacks and Suns attendance when they are wining vs when they suck. There aren't enough hard core fans to consistently sell out anything but football but if you play exciting hockey and win, they will come. If not, I don't care where you put the arena, the attendance will suck after the honeymoon and newness wears off.

Can't win 'em all and certainly can't be a consistent winner, with the leagues parity particularly with no support.

Chicken or the egg? Trouble is, with the situation the team has gotten into over the years, the support may need to come first, or it's bye bye Yotes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd consider going with you, but the wife likes to go on the weekends... then again, you come off as a might negative from time to time. :laugh:

:laugh: You should see me after a few drinks. I was chanting Canada sucks when we were beating Toronto several years ago. That didn't go over too well but was still funny as hell.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Can't win 'em all and certainly can't be a consistent winner, with the leagues parity particularly with no support.

Chicken or the egg? Trouble is, with the situation the team has gotten into over the years, the support may need to come first, or it's bye bye Yotes.

I believe we're finally on track with the young talent. I think either Tippett needs to go all in with supporting and developing the youth along with adapting a more offensive friendly style or we need a new coach. This team has the talent to start winning next year. Not a cup contender but I believe there's definitely enough talent to be a fun team to watch.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I believe we're finally on track with the young talent. I think either Tippett needs to go all in with supporting and developing the youth along with adapting a more offensive friendly style or we need a new coach. This team has the talent to start winning next year. Not a cup contender but I believe there's definitely enough talent to be a fun team to watch.

They're starting to move in that direction.

zz

Nov 1, 2006

Enough with blaming the local market. There are maybe 6 teams in the entire league that can survive while consistently under performing. Everyone else is in the same boat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

DT is all in with supporting and developing the kids. The style will change with more talent and/or when the kids mature and gain more confidence.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Enough with blaming the local market. There are maybe 6 teams in the entire league that can survive while consistently under performing. Everyone else is in the same boat.

I agree. The point of my post was it doesn't matter where the arena is. The product has to be better to draw consistently. The fact that other markets are better, worse or the same doesn't matter. I'm sure the owners will move it to a worse market as long as there's a subsidy that puts more cash in their pockets. The lies about attendance and knowing where the majority of fans live are just smoke screens.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Im gonna upgrade
I can't wait.
I can't get the card out of my wallet soon enough.
Theres nothing more fun even in the bad times.
And when our ship comes in, Im going hit the plexiglass so hard its gonna pop out onto the ice.
Of course that may be years down the road.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

While there is certainly some truth in that, you have to consider how deep of a pit our market has become. Point being no group with sufficient funding was or is interested in owning this franchise, in this market, so we got IA. There's a reason it went down like this and the reason is fair weather, bandwagon jumping, rout for the teams from the cities they used to live in, nutless puking excuses for hockey fans, in this beautiful valley.

No heart, no soul.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I agree. The point of my post was it doesn't matter where the arena is. The product has to be better to draw consistently. The fact that other markets are better, worse or the same doesn't matter. I'm sure the owners will move it to a worse market as long as there's a subsidy that puts more cash in their pockets. The lies about attendance and knowing where the majority of fans live are just smoke screens.

Yes, totally agree.

While there is certainly some truth in that, you have to consider how deep of a pit our market has become. Point being no group with sufficient funding was or is interested in owning this franchise, in this market, so we got IA. There's a reason it went down like this and the reason is fair weather, bandwagon jumping, rout for the teams from the cities they used to live in, nutless puking excuses for hockey fans, in this beautiful valley.

No heart, no soul.

I think you can say the same about most expansion teams outside of the original 6. Unless you're operating in a severely underserved professional sports market, you're only going to get 'heart and soul' if your team starts winning fairly consistently, and the down seasons are few and far between. Even Chicago and Pittsburgh suffered when their teams sucked for years.

The Ducks franchise would look exactly like us had they not been kicking ass most years since their inception. Same with the Sharks, Lightning. We saw what happened to the Thrashers - very similar market in size and pro sports offerings.

Point being, a consistently putrid hockey team will fail eventually, anywhere it is being relocated. It really is some sort of miracle that the AZ Coyotes still exist. I mean this team has been SO BAD that it managed to completely turned me off. I attended 10 games per season for 15 years straight before I finally stopped caring. And I'm hockey fan, I play hockey, I don't have any attachment to any other franchise, but I've just completely lost interest. I still follow this board for entertainment, I look at the scores occasionally, but I haven't even watched one whole game on TV in 18 months, and I haven't missed going to live games at all (it's been 2 years since my last one).

At this point, I hate to say this, but I think I'd rather follow a kick-ass Coyotes team in a different city than not giving a **** about the local one.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think the losing and ownership/arena drama have turned a lot of former fans into people that have lost interest like you ZZ. People see my license plate and Coyote emblem on my truck or see me with some gear on and ask, "you still like the Coyotes?" like they are surprised. Or even better, "are they still here?". Always love that one. It's a shame. We've been going down that path for years. That's why it's so important to go all in with the young talent and play a more offensively aggressive style. This team doesn't just need to win, they need to be more entertaining. 2 - 1 wins with the goalie having to stop 40+ shots so we are just good enough to squeak into the playoffs and get clobbered in the 1st round isn't good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad