GDT: Game 47: Avs @ Jets | Monday January 18th, 6pm MTN | Holiday Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If we're making comparisons, I still think Marc Eduard Vlasic is the best one for Bigras. He has offensive talent, but I don't know how much of a point producer he'll be at the NHL level. Vlasic has had some good years offensively, but is mainly known for his defensive play.

As for Zadorov, who knows. It's hard to make a comparison as there just aren't a lot of 6'5" guys that can skate like he can.

They're such different defensemen. Very happy we have both, and it's going to be fun to watch them develop, even if it might be a bit more frustrating with Z.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If we're making comparisons, I still think Marc Eduard Vlasic is the best one for Bigras. He has offensive talent, but I don't know how much of a point producer he'll be at the NHL level. Vlasic has had some good years offensively, but is mainly known for his defensive play.

As for Zadorov, who knows. It's hard to make a comparison as there just aren't a lot of 6'5" guys that can skate like he can.

They're such different defensemen. Very happy we have both, and it's going to be fun to watch them develop, even if it might be a bit more frustrating with Z.

That's a good comparo for B'rah.

For Zads, I think Pronger might be one...but not that elite (and hopefully not that dirty).

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

I don't think he will ever be a strong defensively as Vlasic. I still think Paul Matron works. Great skater that is smart and steady in both ends, but not great in either one.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

He could develop into something similar to what EJ become, or he could be a Burns type like Lonewolfe said.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see Zadorov as a better skating but worse at everything else version of Chara. Not quite as big either.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
There was a play that just made me 'wtf' so bad.

Redmond had the puck deep in our zone. The Jets were going for a full line change. Bigras was standing ten feet to his left. Wagner was ten feet to his right. Martinsen was 15 feet in front of him, circling by the hash marks. Not a Jet in sight. From a stopped position, Redmond sends an 80 foot pass to Iginla at center ice, who wasn't expecting it at all as he was going for a line change. Instant icing. From having the opportunity to make the most simple breakout ever... to an icing. Three teammates around you, not a single opposition anywhere. Long bomb for an icing call.

Even if Iginla received that pass, what was he going to do? He was surrounded by about 8 Jets players all in mid-change. He would have lost it right away or sent it all the way back to our zone where the rest of the Avs players were anyways. Redmond just shakes his head and goes back to take the defensive zone faceoff. Like what the hell is going through your head there? Why do you need to make Hollywood passes all game long like some superstar? You're ****, man. You're lucky to have a job in the NHL. Make the simple play and stop costing your team over and over again.

He's the most frustrating player for me. Guenin and all those disasters played within their limits. When Guenin iced the puck, he meant to ice the puck because he sucks. When Redmond ices the puck, it was from a failed 80 foot pass because he sucks but thinks he's amazing.

I can't stand watching him play hockey, sorry.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So lets see..

So far Bigras is being compared to Stuart, Rafalski, Martin, Vlasic, Suter

I'd say he's more like Bobby Orr...am i doing this right?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If Bigras plays for the Avs, he'll put up points. You can see him contributing more and more to scoring chances already.

They really push all their D men to be active in the play, and incorporate them into the offense quite a bit, and not just in terms of jumping into the play. They put a lot of pucks on net from the point hoping for rebounds, and kick the puck up high from down low during the cycle more than a lot of teams. Something I was really happy to see them utilize, because they didn't do it nearly enough IMO in the past.

When they pull the forwards down low, they send the puck up high, and when there aren't a lot of clear passing lanes for the D man along the wall, he just sends the puck back down low. This leads to a lot of secondary assists for the Avs D. In the past they would just try to force a shot or turn the puck over on a pass that wasn't there. Love that they're willing to just send it back down low and tire out the opposition.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Bigras will sneakily put up more points than people expect. Not Barrie level but it's no accident he got a point in only his second game. And if they ever get him on the PP he's going to get quite a bit there too.

TPS, that's pretty accurate on Redmond. Some folks like him for the home run passes that he does make and somehow his Corsi is good. Hopefully some GM is in that boat too.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Redmond had the puck deep in our zone. The Jets were going for a full line change. Bigras was standing ten feet to his left. Wagner was ten feet to his right. Martinsen was 15 feet in front of him, circling by the hash marks. Not a Jet in sight. From a stopped position, Redmond sends an 80 foot pass to Iginla at center ice, who wasn't expecting it at all as he was going for a line change. Instant icing. From having the opportunity to make the most simple breakout ever... to an icing. Three teammates around you, not a single opposition anywhere. Long bomb for an icing call.

Even if Iginla received that pass, what was he going to do? He was surrounded by about 8 Jets players all in mid-change. He would have lost it right away or sent it all the way back to our zone where the rest of the Avs players were anyways. Redmond just shakes his head and goes back to take the defensive zone faceoff. Like what the hell is going through your head there? Why do you need to make Hollywood passes all game long like some superstar? You're ****, man. You're lucky to have a job in the NHL. Make the simple play and stop costing your team over and over again.

He's the most frustrating player for me. Guenin and all those disasters played within their limits. When Guenin iced the puck, he meant to ice the puck because he sucks. When Redmond ices the puck, it was from a failed 80 foot pass because he sucks but thinks he's amazing.

Just the worse. I face palmed big time. I really really really want bigras to move the puck up himself and to stop passing back to Redmond.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bigras is going to put up some points in the NHL and it will simply be because he is such a smart puck mover and has excellent instincts. I don't see him as a 40 point sort of player though.

I hope he stays up when EJ comes back, but the numbers are simply not on Bigras' side.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Yup. That play hurt my head.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I was watching at CB&Potts without sound, so I didn't see who it was, but who threw the lob hail-mary pass from their own zone that sprung the forward for a scoring chance? Reminded me of Forsberg-Blake back in the day, except Blake scored :laugh:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I was watching at CB&Potts without sound, so I didn't see who it was, but who threw the lob hail-mary pass from their own zone that sprung the forward for a scoring chance? Reminded me of Forsberg-Blake back in the day, except Blake scored :laugh:
That was Redmond. He also had a huge turnover prior to Wheeler hitting the post, when he had plenty of time to break it out.

He's just a frustrating player to watch. Obviously talented, but not very intelligent.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Redmond is the king of suicide passes on the team. I thought Mitchell was bad for that, but he's nowhere near Redmond-level bad.

The saddest part is that last season we were starved for his kind of puck movement.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Blake Wheeler has really raised his game to a whole other level. Gone is the timidness or reluctance to take over a game. Now, he's all confidence and mix that in with his size and skill; you get a pretty scary player. I love his intensity and pursuit of the puck. That interference penalty rocking McLeod was indeed a penalty, but my God who wouldn't want that on your team? Dude is an absolute animal. I can't imagine how good he would be if he ever had other 1st line talent next to him. No, Ladd isn't a 1st liner.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Blake Wheeler has really raised his game to a whole other level. Gone is the timidness or reluctance to take over a game. Now, he's all confidence and mix that in with his size and skill; you get a pretty scary player. I love his intensity and pursuit of the puck. That interference penalty rocking McLeod was indeed a penalty, but my God who wouldn't want that on your team? Dude is an absolute animal. I can't imagine how good he would be if he ever had other 1st line talent next to him. No, Ladd isn't a 1st liner.
Winnipeg will be held back until they find a 1st line center. Little is really good, but I don't think he's a 1st line center that can lead a team to a Cup.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

He's probably my favorite non-av (along with Little). He's also the definition of elite defensively. I'd trade Landeskog + a lot for him honestly.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He's probably my favorite non-av (along with Little). He's also the definition of elite defensively. I'd trade Landeskog + a lot for him honestly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this. He's elite defensively alright. Like, really really good. Little things like when he's covering the puck carrier at the point, he gets the stick to the side but also turns his feet. This takes away the passing lane to the side but also makes the gaps between your body even smaller. He never pivots away, always into the play which again reduces gaps extremely quickly. His reading of the play and anticipation is unbelievable, like how he recognized MacK is twice as fast as him, knew MacK would go for the poke because he wouldn't want to establish physical contact with Wheeler, closed up his body to ricochet it back. Almost never chases in his own zone, uses his reach and size to influence the puck carrier's direction into less desirable offensive situations. I noticed it a year ago or so, but against the Predators and us he was just unbelievable defensively. I wonder if his two-way ability is properly recognized, because he's as efficient and dynamic as it gets in all three zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad