GDT: Game 47: Avs @ Jets | Monday January 18th, 6pm MTN | Holiday Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this. He's elite defensively alright. Like, really really good. Little things like when he's covering the puck carrier at the point, he gets the stick to the side but also turns his feet. This takes away the passing lane to the side but also makes the gaps between your body even smaller. He never pivots away, always into the play which again reduces gaps extremely quickly. His reading of the play and anticipation is unbelievable, like how he recognized MacK is twice as fast as him, knew MacK would go for the poke because he wouldn't want to establish physical contact with Wheeler, closed up his body to ricochet it back. Almost never chases in his own zone, uses his reach and size to influence the puck carrier's direction into less desirable offensive situations. I noticed it a year ago or so, but against the Predators and us he was just unbelievable defensively. I wonder if his two-way ability is properly recognized, because he's as efficient and dynamic as it gets in all three zones.

I think only the Jets and few fans in the Central realize it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There was a play that just made me 'wtf' so bad.

Redmond had the puck deep in our zone. The Jets were going for a full line change. Bigras was standing ten feet to his left. Wagner was ten feet to his right. Martinsen was 15 feet in front of him, circling by the hash marks. Not a Jet in sight. From a stopped position, Redmond sends an 80 foot pass to Iginla at center ice, who wasn't expecting it at all as he was going for a line change. Instant icing. From having the opportunity to make the most simple breakout ever... to an icing. Three teammates around you, not a single opposition anywhere. Long bomb for an icing call.

Even if Iginla received that pass, what was he going to do? He was surrounded by about 8 Jets players all in mid-change. He would have lost it right away or sent it all the way back to our zone where the rest of the Avs players were anyways. Redmond just shakes his head and goes back to take the defensive zone faceoff. Like what the hell is going through your head there? Why do you need to make Hollywood passes all game long like some superstar? You're ****, man. You're lucky to have a job in the NHL. Make the simple play and stop costing your team over and over again.

He's the most frustrating player for me. Guenin and all those disasters played within their limits. When Guenin iced the puck, he meant to ice the puck because he sucks. When Redmond ices the puck, it was from a failed 80 foot pass because he sucks but thinks he's amazing.

I can't stand watching him play hockey, sorry.

:handclap:

That play was a classic Redmond maneuver. At this point I can't even get mad. Like how I accepted that Guenin just can't play the puck; I've now accepted that Redmond is going to make the dumb play if it's there to be made. Dude plays like the kind of guy who'd spend the whole time showboating if you ever skated with him in a pickup game. Either he's the least self-aware player in the league; or he's trying too hard to take advantage of the advanced stats wave, and so was trying to get his dzone-start% up without having to take up a full shift.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
he's trying too hard to take advantage of the advanced stats wave, and so was trying to get his dzone-start% up without having to take up a full shift.

I think there are a number of players doing just that. They make bad hockey plays because it can help some of their advanced stats.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think there are a number of players doing just that. They make bad hockey plays because it can help some of their advanced stats.

I'd like to think athletes weren't that dumb. But then I think about the athletes I've met, and then I remember this...

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Just came here to say Bigras is the real deal ! I'm loving what he's bringing to this team ! The guy's already miles ahead of Guenin :laugh: and the crazy thing is, he's only going to get better. He almost had another assist last night against the Jets (If I remember rightly, it was in the 2nd period).

Our future D is looking good : Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov and Bigras. :naughty: How is Mason Geertsen coming along ? I saw they had an article about him on the Avs site.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just came here to say Bigras is the real deal ! I'm loving what he's bringing to this team ! The guy's already miles ahead of Guenin :laugh: and the crazy thing is, he's only going to get better. He almost had another assist last night against the Jets (If I remember rightly, it was in the 2nd period).

Our future D is looking good : Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov and Bigras. :naughty: How is Mason Geertsen coming along ? I saw they had an article about him on the Avs site.

It kinda blows my mind that Bigras is getting a decent look here 3 months into his pro career, I was just watching him play for Owen Sound like 5 minutes ago.

Geertsen is getting the rookie treatment, he's going to need a few years in the AHL. I like his game there though, Hopefully he can get some good responsibility and role next year, will know more then.

The next in line I'm getting really excited about is Meloche.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If Bigras can stick around (highly doubtful) its really going to highlight the Avs desire/need/want for a Adam Foote lite player on that bottom RD. Redmond ...while i like him, doesnt fit what i think they want to do long term there and Guenin just flat out stinks but Roy trusts him imo. Maybe they can swap Gormley for Polak

Then again after watching them both for 3 games im betting its Zadorov sent back.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Then again after watching them both for 3 games im betting its Zadorov sent back.
Why? It's important to remember that they're getting VERY different types of minutes. Zadorov went head to head against Wheeler most of the night, and for the first two periods did a damn good job. He's being used more than he should be, so it's not surprising he's going to get exposed a bit more than Bigras, at this point. I'm actually really surprised he's even playing as much as he is.

I don't think either should be sent down.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Why? It's important to remember that they're getting VERY different types of minutes. Zadorov went head to head against Wheeler most of the night, and for the first two periods did a damn good job. He's being used more than he should be, so it's not surprising he's going to get exposed a bit more than Bigras, at this point. I'm actually really surprised he's even playing as much as he is.

I don't think either should be sent down.

Neither do i but once EJ comes back its back to him and Beauch so then does Zads and Bigras play together? I just dont see that happening.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe they can swap Gormley for Polak

I don't think that does it, but Polak would be a great add to the bottom pairing for Bigras. I don't see the Avs adding that type unless they throw in the towel on Stuart.

I don't think either Bigras or Zadorov should be sent down, but I think Bigras will be. The spots available on the left side when EJ returns are just not there and if there is a choice Zadorov is the one who will stay up. The only situations where I see Bigras staying up is if Zadorov earns enough trust to be with Barrie, or Bigras gets paired up with EJ. I don't see either happening.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think that does it, but Polak would be a great add to the bottom pairing for Bigras. I don't see the Avs adding that type unless they throw in the towel on Stuart.

I don't think either Bigras or Zadorov should be sent down, but I think Bigras will be. There spots available on the left side when EJ returns are just not there and if there is a choice Zadorov is the one who will stay up. The only situations where I see Bigras staying up is if Zadorov earns enough trust to be with Barrie, or Bigras gets paired up with EJ. I don't see either happening.

This is what I've said before, Bigras staying may well depend on how much trust Zadorov earns with Roy. As weird and interesting as that sentiment might be.

Both for the reasons you say, and also Roy would have to trust Zadorov enough to play him with Bigras, and I don't really see it the other way around lol.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Why would anyone want Polak?

Maybe not specifically, but i was speaking to more of what they have planned for that 3rd RD spot. That should be Stuart but who knows with him. Ideally id really like Gudas or Bogo
but the leafs are going to be unloading those guys for cheap real soon.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe not specifically, but i was speaking to more of what they have planned for that 3rd RD spot. That should be Stuart but who knows with him. Ideally id really like Gudas or Bogo
but the leafs are going to be unloading those guys for cheap real soon.

The Avs shouldn't be targeting any 3rd pairing defenseman IMO. We already have too many of them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Avs shouldn't be targeting any 3rd pairing defenseman IMO. We already have too many of them.

Yeah this is my thought, we've got enough even if one or two somehow get claimed on the waiver wire.

They could use some guys they could actually pass back and fourth to the farm without having to expose them to waivers, but that's a ways off.

If anything I'd be trying to flip one of Gormley/Redmond/Siemens for a wing prospect who needs a chance.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

We have too many sub par ones. Think what you want of Polak andor Gudas. They're better than any of Guenin, Redmond, and Stuart. And i like to think more of the role they want that 3rd pairing RD to be than them specifically targeting a quality of dman

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We have too many sub par ones. Think what you want of Polak andor Gudas. They're better than any of Guenin, Redmond, and Stuart. And i like to think more of the role they want that 3rd pairing RD to be than them specifically targeting a quality of dman

There is always this "grass is always greener" with other teams bottom pairings. They hate theirs too.

Guenin is one thing. But other than that we have a few legit bottom pairing guys. Who are "standard" bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL. It's our top 4 that still is a problem. Add one of those and bump down Holden would be one thing. But the sane thing to do is just be patient and see what we have in Zadorov and Bigras. It's not like we can afford to go after a FA. We have some big pay check's to write soon already.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
There is always this "grass is always greener" with other teams bottom pairings. They hate theirs too.

Guenin is one thing. But other than that we have a few legit bottom pairing guys. Who are "standard" bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL. It's our top 4 that still is a problem. Add one of those and bump down Holden would be one thing. But the sane thing to do is just be patient and see what we have in Zadorov and Bigras. It's not like we can afford to go after a FA. We have some big pay check's to write soon already.

I agree, but we'll need someone to replace Guenin/Redmond/Bchuck as the 7th/8th Dman, considering Stuart may never be completely healthy again.

It should probably Gormley, but it will depend on how much Roy likes (or hates) him.

Edit: I would like Polak but not sure if it is realistic, and we have to account for the annual EJ injury.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I don't think either Bigras or Zadorov should be sent down, but I think Bigras will be. The spots available on the left side when EJ returns are just not there and if there is a choice Zadorov is the one who will stay up. The only situations where I see Bigras staying up is if Zadorov earns enough trust to be with Barrie, or Bigras gets paired up with EJ. I don't see either happening.

That's how I see it playing out too. Only other option for both staying is to rotate with a RD, probably Redmond. I know they need to play and not sit but if they rotate enough with the odd time they both are in the lineup and Roy is willing to mix up the pairs on occasion then I think it could work but if a Roy is dead set on Holden-Barrie and Beauch-EJ then both won't stay.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just think based on their past history if it even looks remotely possible that we make the playoffs they will trade for a more experienced physical RHD than role with any of Bigras, Zads, Guenin, Redmond. If Stuart can possibly come back and get into game shape than that spot is his but I have my doubts

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I just think based on their past history if it even looks remotely possible that we make the playoffs they will trade for a more experienced physical RHD than role with any of Bigras, Zads, Guenin, Redmond. If Stuart can possibly come back and get into game shape than that spot is his but I have my doubts

If Stuart comes back and they actually play him I think our playoff chances are gonna take a big hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad