Pre-Game Talk: GAME 47 1/24 7:08 PM - FINALLY The Bruins play Poutineville

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I hear you. He’s an amazing player, and I guess I just hate to see him end up on a garbage franchise like Arizona, Anaheim, Vancouver... I’d much rather see him on Montreal, Philly or Chicago.
I think Arizona, Anaheim, or Vancouver would be perfect for Connor Bedard.

I’m pretty ambivalent towards the Blackhawks, but unless Bedard proves to be a total bust, the Boston Bruins don’t need him skating for the Canadiens or Flyers.

Reactions: Bergyesque

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I can't believe they gave up on those Bruins Hockey Rules because of some useless chump's complaints.
I have heard from a pretty reliable source on this board that someone very high up in the organization wanted the advertising company who made these commercials fired.

If I remember correctly, it wasn’t some useless chump, but someone with A LOT of pull with ownership.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Bear will be back anytime soon, if ever.

I’m heartbroken.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I have heard from a pretty reliable source on this board that someone very high up in the organization wanted the advertising company who made these commercials fired.

If I remember correctly, it wasn’t some useless chump, but someone with A LOT of pull with ownership.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Bear will be back anytime soon, if ever.

I’m heartbroken.
Pull with the ownership doesn't make that person in any way any less of a useless chump for firing the ad company. I don't expect the company to come back. Right now we are in times of politically correct way or no way. Edgy ads may cut into the revenues, even though I doubt any overly sensitive person ever watches hockey, and, therefore, management protects the revenues.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
No kidding, who gives a duck
Dear autocorrect,

It is NEVER “duck.”

Signed,

Everyone.

Pull with the ownership doesn't make that person in any way any less of a useless chump for firing the ad company. I don't expect the company to come back. Right now we are in times of politically correct way or no way. Edgy ads may cut into the revenues, even though I doubt any overly sensitive person ever watches hockey, and, therefore, management protects the revenues.
I’ll pm you.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Arizona, Anaheim, or Vancouver would be perfect for Connor Bedard.

I’m pretty ambivalent towards the Blackhawks, but unless Bedard proves to be a total bust, the Boston Bruins don’t need him skating for the Canadiens or Flyers.

What a shame it would be if a talent and personality like Bedard ended up in the nether-regions of the NHL like Anaheim and Arizona.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
What a shame it would be if a talent and personality like Bedard ended up in the nether-regions of the NHL like Anaheim and Arizona.
not to Gary Bettman

Bedard to a non hockey market that needs a boosts goes directly to his strategy of making hockey a national sport ...which of course leads to bigger tv contracts

remember - his job is to increase the value of member franchises- something he has done exceedingly well during his reign. And if that means long time fans like us think he has diluted the product - so what - he doesn't answer to us. Bottom line, the owners have to be thrilled with the growth of their franchise value ( eg the Bs are valued at $1.4 billion)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
not to Gary Bettman

Bedard to a non hockey market that needs a boosts goes directly to his strategy of making hockey a national sport ...which of course leads to bigger tv contracts

remember - his job is to increase the value of member franchises- something he has done exceedingly well during his reign. And if that means long time fans like us think he has diluted the product - so what - he doesn't answer to us. Bottom line, the owners have to be thrilled with the growth of their franchise value ( eg the Bs are valued at $1.4 billion)

I don't think he's diluted the product. There is plenty of talent to support 32 teams, mostly because of the tremendous growth of the sport at the grassroots level in the U.S. TSN did their Top 50 players list back in October and there were more US-born skaters than Canadian-born.

If I'm being honest I'm probably one of the few "Bettman fans" on this board. I think overall he's done a tremendous job. People complain about the existence of Arizona but when your greatest player ever is Shane Doan, and you got 4 playoff appearances (and just 2 wins) in 20 years, is the market really the problem? You can have all sorts of talent available but if you draft and develop like crap (such as Arizona have), I'm not sure Bettman has much control over that part.

I'll give Anaheim a pass here as I like the direction they are headed and they were competitive for years. But for Bedard to end up at the circus known as the Arizona Coyotes? I think that's awful for the NHL.

Thefours

Feb 27, 2022
Wow, 7 pages just for the pre-game thread, and the game's still 16 hours away. The rivalry's not quite dead yet, I would wager!
Apparently not with this volume of talk. Not as much of a Habs hater anymore. There's plenty of other teams I can't stand but can't wait to see the game

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Put that on a t-shirt and I'll buy it. :nod: I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Yankees could knock the Red Sox out of the Playoffs 10 years in a row or the Lakers could beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals 10 years in a row and I still wouldn't have 1% of the hate for either team that I have for the f*cking Montreal Canadiens. :thumbd:

f0f9f86c949adde2f59685e900b04f9e.gif

That's some " lifetime ban " words. :thumbd:
I have that shirt! :naughty:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As has been commented on before, the state of the rivalry is such that the fans care far more than the players. The players have no particular reason to dislike each other, let alone hate anybody. On the Bruins' side only the likes of Coyle and Gryz were actually Bruins fans growing up, and they are too young to recall or to really grasp the full animosity between the two teams. Bergy, Krejci and Marchand were there for 2011 and 2014, but that's not a huge amount to go on and both teams' rosters have changed so much that it basically becomes just a memory from another era.

For the rest you can know the history, can want to represent the jersey, but unless you've either lived the rivalry and the passion for yourself or you've grown up in one of those families where it's in the blood, then you can't really feel it or understand it. The nature of the modern schedule and league only compounds the relative distance between the two opponents and between the past and the present. The players know these games mean more, but it's more on an intellectual level than a heart one.

For the fans of course it's different, although even then it's cooling, as it must. Still, it matters, and to not a few it matters a lot. So there is this slightly weird juxtaposition between the feeling in the stands and that on the ice. But it is what it is, and once the puck drops it won't change the fact that we are all that bit more desperate for Boston to win this one, and the excitement goes to that next level. Here's to a good game, and to the 22/23 Bruins finally winning a game in Canada!
agreed, I think for fans, say, 45 and older, the Habs/B`s rivalry will never be outdone. I have nowhere near the absolute hatred, disgust for, say the Leafs as I do for the Habs. I love watching that revolting franchise struggle and I don`t care if they haven`t won jack shit for decades.

There are few things I enjoy more when it comes to sports than watching the Bruins beat the Habs, don`t care if that`s a pre-season tilt, game 3 of a regular season or playoffs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
agreed, I think for fans, say, 45 and older, the Habs/B`s rivalry will never be outdone. I have nowhere near the absolute hatred, disgust for, say the Leafs as I do for the Habs. I love watching that revolting franchise struggle and I don`t care if they haven`t won jack shit for decades.

There are few things I enjoy more when it comes to sports than watching the Bruins beat the Habs, don`t care if that`s a pre-season tilt, game 3 of a regular season or playoffs

I'm way over 45 and I don't even consider it a rivalry at this point.

Absolutely no juice for tonight's game. Montreal's just a crappy team with a bunch of guys I'm not really interested in seeing. Especially with no Caufield, Slafkovsky, Gallagher or Price.

Bs1011

May 27, 2019

Haha perfectly said. It doesn’t matter I want them to win 10-0 tonight I have no sympathy none. I was a kid when they finally beat them in the playoffs it felt like winning the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: BMC and ODAAT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad