Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1674537081589.png
1674536999422.png

Arbitres/Referees Chris Schlenker (3), Marc Joannette (25)

Juges de ligne/Linesmen Ryan Galloway (82), Ryan Daisy (81)

Hymnes nationaux/Ntl. Anthem Cantor Gideon Zelermye - Congregation Shaar Hashomayim, Westmount, Québec

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TONIGHT’S GAME - The Bruins visit the Canadiens tonight in the 1st of 3 games between these teams this season and the 1st of 2 to be played at Bell Centre. - They were the NHL’s 1st 30-win team this season and they are 37-5-4 overall and are 15-4-1 on the road ... They are 21-3-2 vs. Eastern Conference opponents. - The Bruins open a 5-game road stretch tonight in Montreal, continuing in Tampa Bay on 1/26, Florida on 1/28, Carolina on 1/29 and concluding on 2/1 at Toronto ... They are currently in span of 7-of-8 games on the road, having played at NY Islanders on 1/18 (4-1 win), at NY Rangers on 1/19 (3-1 win), and vs San Jose on 1/22 (4-0 win).

MILESTONES APPROACHING - Jake DeBrusk is 2 assists shy of his 100th NHL assist. - Hampus Lindholm is 5 assists short of his 200th NHL assist.

INJURIES (Total man-games lost in 2022-23: 50) - Tomas Nosek: Non-displaced fracture in left foot - Jake DeBrusk: Hand and lower body injuries, IR

BOSTON vs MONTREAL, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Canadiens are meeting for the 755th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 288-353-103-10 record and Montreal having a 2,263-2,004 scoring edge in those games. - The Bruins are 116-211-47-3 lifetime in Montreal with a the Canadiens having a 1,246-903 scoring advantage in those 22 contests. - The Bruins have won their last 7 games vs. the Canadiens.

Including playoff contests, tonight’s the 931st match-up between the two teams.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Without stirring up too much trouble I miss the days where Felger and Mazz would troll Scab radio hosts, Chara would terrorize the MTL players and fans, and the games were intense!!!!

Hope those types of meaningful game, aggressive, onery games return soon!!!!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Even though some feel this is no longer a rivalry, it is to me. As long as I’m on this earth. It’s personal.

f*** the Habs!
Put that on a t-shirt and I'll buy it. :nod: I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Yankees could knock the Red Sox out of the Playoffs 10 years in a row or the Lakers could beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals 10 years in a row and I still wouldn't have 1% of the hate for either team that I have for the f*cking Montreal Canadiens. :thumbd:

f0f9f86c949adde2f59685e900b04f9e.gif

I hope Bedard ends up there and not Arizona or Anaheim.
That's some " lifetime ban " words. :thumbd:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I know about the C form, though few of its nuances. Teams ignored it, partly because they had their own 50-mile limit. This did not do Boston or New York much good but helped the other teams to varying degrees. I am not sure how this worked, but teams also sponsored teams and had fairly far-flung spheres of influence. For example, as I recall reading, Detroit and Boston shared much of Western Canada, especially the Edmonton area.

Trivia: Who was the last player to sign a c form? Hint he was a Bruins' center from the 70s.
Derek Sanderson?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow, 7 pages just for the pre-game thread, and the game's still 16 hours away. The rivalry's not quite dead ready yet, I would wager!
Scalpers lamenting it is a Tuesday night so not as many Bruins fans

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am like @Gee Wally - Montreal is personal

One odd aspect about the rivalry - when there were line brawls they were ALWAYS in Boston.

Things always happened at the Forum and if the game was close......

In the early 70s, the Bruins developed a strong following in Montreal as they were on Montreal cable far more often than the Habs were thanks to Channel 22 in Burlington, Vermont which carried all the TV38 games. Montreal GM Sam Pollock demanded the NHL make Vermont Habs territory and Clarence Campbell refused saying he didn't want the Ethan Allen Boys to invade Montreal over the Champlain Bridge.

Eliminating them in 5 games in 1988 was as good as winning a Cup.

NOTHING beats the atmosphere of a Bruins/Habs game in Montreal

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
That's hilarious!

Bruins are going to intimidate Xhekaj.
I wasn't saying that at all. I said he's been running around knowing full well he's a heavy in this league. The intimidation part is him on the B's, not the other way around. The intimidation part goes away if someone just answers the bell and then he becomes a non factor.

I forget who mentioned it earlier but I full think Greer and Freddy and Foligno could hang in there with him, just have to fight smart, can't be toe to toe exchanging.

Regardless, this got off topic, hope the B's win 7-0, Pasta 2, Hall 2, Krejci, McAvoy, Bergy

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Scalpers lamenting it is a Tuesday night so not as many Bruins fans

As has been commented on before, the state of the rivalry is such that the fans care far more than the players. The players have no particular reason to dislike each other, let alone hate anybody. On the Bruins' side only the likes of Coyle and Gryz were actually Bruins fans growing up, and they are too young to recall or to really grasp the full animosity between the two teams. Bergy, Krejci and Marchand were there for 2011 and 2014, but that's not a huge amount to go on and both teams' rosters have changed so much that it basically becomes just a memory from another era.

For the rest you can know the history, can want to represent the jersey, but unless you've either lived the rivalry and the passion for yourself or you've grown up in one of those families where it's in the blood, then you can't really feel it or understand it. The nature of the modern schedule and league only compounds the relative distance between the two opponents and between the past and the present. The players know these games mean more, but it's more on an intellectual level than a heart one.

For the fans of course it's different, although even then it's cooling, as it must. Still, it matters, and to not a few it matters a lot. So there is this slightly weird juxtaposition between the feeling in the stands and that on the ice. But it is what it is, and once the puck drops it won't change the fact that we are all that bit more desperate for Boston to win this one, and the excitement goes to that next level. Here's to a good game, and to the 22/23 Bruins finally winning a game in Canada!

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Put that on a t-shirt and I'll buy it. :nod: I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Yankees could knock the Red Sox out of the Playoffs 10 years in a row or the Lakers could beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals 10 years in a row and I still wouldn't have 1% of the hate for either team that I have for the f*cking Montreal Canadiens. :thumbd:

f0f9f86c949adde2f59685e900b04f9e.gif

That's some " lifetime ban " words. :thumbd:
Just want to see him in an actual hockey market.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The GDT is going to be minimal.

I know I don't owe anyone an explanation but I have been dealing with some health stuff and thankfully my diagnostic test yesterday came back clean and all is good now. The crash from all the anxiety was much more than I expected so I was pretty much a vegetable last night.

The theme of this post is go get your annual screenings and let's kick some Habs ass.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I know I don't owe anyone an explanation but I have been dealing with some health stuff and thankfully my diagnostic test yesterday came back clean and all is good now. The crash from all the anxiety was much more than I expected so I was pretty much a vegetable last night.

The theme of this post is go get your annual screenings and let's kick some Habs ass.
glad all came back clean Ali, the GDT is hardly the most vital thing as much as I love reading them

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Good to hear Cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad