GDT: Game #47 - 01.27.15 - at Montreal - 6:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
A world clas goalie doesnt suddenly become an ahl one.

Yall are overlooking the flawed defense and roster. Focus on that.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
He's buddies with Jim Nill.

This is the reason that former players are no longer hired to be GM's in other professional sports leagues. They just bring in all of their ****** playing buddies to fill the positions in the organization and keep them there even when it's clear to everyone that they are basically incompetent at their jobs.

Like I know that you pretty much have to hire former players to be coaches because those are the guys who get into high level coaching, but atleast have an objective person running the team who can remove these people when they torpedo a season like our staff has done.

That's the issue right there. If he wants to be buddy buddy, then find him another spot with the team that doesn't hurt it. If you want your team to be good, then you gotta do the right thing and remove one of those issues that makes the team bad.

But since he doesn't want to make his buddy upset, he'll keep him on. Just like how they probably don't wanna upset Jamie by waiving his brother. Because I see no other ****ing reason why Jordie would even still be here.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
It'd be one thing if we were getting completely dominated and just losing by a goal, like we were during the bankruptcy years.

But we're COMPLETELY dominating these games more often than not and still can't get over the line.

Yeah but it's at the point where the smallest change will push the Stars back over the line next season. The team is way above average 5 on 5. If the goaltending returns to being even mediocre (and not as bad as it gets in the league) and the special teams somehow become even mediocre (and not as bad as it gets in the league) and maybe we even win some games that go to OT... The Stars will instantly transform into a great team.

I guess you all have your own opinions on what personnel moves are required to do that.

All I'll say is remember the New York Islanders. In 2012-13 they were a borderline top 10 possession team that got decent goaltending from a surprising Evgeni Nabokov and made the playoffs as the 8 seed. They almost beat the Heavily favored Crosguins in the first round, and everyone agreed they were a team to watch.

In 2013-14 the goaltending was terrible, they lost a ton of 1 goal games, and basically nothing went right. They missed the playoffs by a mile.

Now look where they are. We could follow the same path with the same prudent (minor) moves by the GM in the offseason. Garth Snow didn't bring in franchise players, he addressed the problems on the team and let the talent take over. We can do the same if Nill can figure things out.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Not even a point, **** me... Well, if we play like that specially in 5vs5, we're gonna catch WPG or whoever holds that position at the end of the season.

PP - I don't know anymore, wouldn't entirely blame the coaching staff for this one, the 1st 5vs3 unit have Roussel there for basically no reason. Spezza <-> Daley passing to each other at the blue-line is just time wasting and thirdly I don't want Seguin to have the puck that much as he did.

The 5 on 3 has to be a system thing. All they do is sit there and pass back and forth. There's absolutely no movement what so ever.

Seguin finally got sick of it on the ending of the 5 minute major and took over and created that goal.

The players definitely take a part in the blame, but Fraser has to go. He just has to.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006

Actually happens all the time.

Goaltending performance is pretty much the most volatile thing ever. And when they do turn that corner and go into their declining years, the drop off can be harsh.

**and based on your theory, what's your explanation for Lehtonen not being complete **** in previous years in this same defense system behind (if anything) even worse players on the blue line?

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Not even a point, **** me... Well, if we play like that specially in 5vs5, we're gonna catch WPG or whoever holds that position at the end of the season.

This kind of stuff keeps getting said... and look where we still are... Saying the same thing every game it seems...

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

The flawed defense that allowed 5 shots (or less) in over a period of play?....which has happened in nearly every game since the start of December.

Our defense makes it mistakes and is definitely a weak point, but Kari is not what he was even last season....and that downfall started in the playoffs.

MetalGodAOD*

He's buddies with Jim Nill.

This is the reason that former players are no longer hired to be GM's in other professional sports leagues. They just bring in all of their ****** playing buddies to fill the positions in the organization and keep them there even when it's clear to everyone that they are basically incompetent at their jobs.

Like I know that you pretty much have to hire former players to be coaches because those are the guys who get into high level coaching, but atleast have an objective person running the team who can remove these people when they torpedo a season like our staff has done.

I don't think its even this, I just think assistant coaches don't get fired until the offseason. Nill is so patient, he's going to give Fraser/Ruff the full season to figure it out.

If Fraser isn't gone in the offseason though...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The flawed defense that allowed 5 shots (or less) in over a period of play?....which has happened in nearly every game since the start of December.

Our defense makes it mistakes and is definitely a weak point, but Kari is not what he was even last season....and that downfall started in the playoffs.

The two concussions might be a factor

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I don't think its even this, I just think assistant coaches don't get fired until the offseason. Nill is so patient, he's going to give Fraser/Ruff the full season to figure it out.

If Fraser isn't gone in the offseason though...

It hasn't been a full season though. He's been here since the lockout season of 2013 and every single year our powerplay has gotten worse (with better players each season).

The time to "figure it out" has long passed.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If I were a billionaire I'd pay a nice chunk of change to put Jordie Benn in the AHL. It makes no sense that he's still in the show.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006

This is what I've been saying.

Before the game I'm reading the montreal previews of the game and listening to sports radio, and everyone is talking about how the Stars have one of the worst defences in the league, and how that's a huge advantage for Montreal. The same thing you'll see in every thread every game day no matter who we play.

Then the game comes around and the Canadiens defense is on the level of the Edmonton Oilers, including P.K. Subban. If any player on the Stars turned the puck over half as much as what I watched Montreal's top guys do tonight, I would have a stroke and fall dead on the ground. And it was the exact same **** last time we played them, except this time around Price bailed them out.

I would bet dollars to donuts that our defence turns the puck over less than half the other teams in this league, and creates way more scoring chances 5 on 5. Every game I watch a team play that isn't Chicago or St. Louis I'm watching the same low IQ lead foot defenceman play the chip out game, where your basically passing it to the other team at their blueline and letting them break in on you. And when they aren't doing that, they are fumbling pucks off their sticks and getting beat in races in their own end.

I'm sorry, I would rather have our guys than most of the other d cores I watch. Our goaltender is having a **** year, and we may well miss the playoffs, but it's infinitely easier for us to replace the 3 or 4 guys on our team who are behind the pace than it is for some of these other teams to change over an entire roster stuck in the 90's.

MetalGodAOD*

The two concussions might be a factor

Maybe, but judging by some of his offseason comments about not taking life too seriously and such, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't train as hard this offseason. But I shouldn't speculate.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Maybe, but judging by some of his offseason comments about not taking life too seriously and such, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't train as hard this offseason. But I shouldn't speculate.

It's hard to say. He sucked in the pre-season and that was before the 2nd concussion (thanks again Oleksiak). Could have been training. Could have been regular pre-season sucking. I doubt the head injury helped but who knows what the real problem is. We know he's had some sort of injury this season but who knows when that started or if it's still a factor. I just don't think he completely fell off a cliff without at least some health issue being a factor.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006

Goaltenders are just voodoo magic, who the **** knows.

The sad fact is that there is no other position in any game in any sport that has as large an aggregate effect on your chance to succeed as goaltender over the course of a season. You can take a **** team like the Buffalo Sabres which is basically an ECHL club, but if you give them league best goaltending over a 10 game stretch (as happened earlier this season) suddenly they win 7 of those 10 games.

The fact is, if your goaltending saves 11 out of 12 shots on the season (.916 save percentage), the rest of the roster has to be complete trash for you to miss the playoffs. As proof I put forward the Colorado Avalanche, a ****ing AHL team that has a team .918 save percentage and is right in the thick of the playoff race.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Oh and as a final comment to Mr. "save percentage is due to our team sucking on defence, not Lehtonen or our backups" the best team save percentage in the league (by far) belongs to the very same Montreal Canadiens we just played. And if you want to tell me that defensive "skill" outweighs goaltending by such a great margin, you are implying that the team we just played tonight has the best defensive system and players in the league.

And there is no man, woman, or child on this earth who can say that with a straight face if you watch more than 5 games that the Canadiens have played this year.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Jordie one on one versus Galchenyuk was all too predictable.

Roussel and Eaves on the 1st unit power play when Spezza was hurt. WTF?

Who's going to help me kidnap Ruff to stage an intervention? For the love of god, Jordie has to go.

2:30 left in the 3rd, down a goal, 5 on 3 power play and Daley is the lone defenseman. Klingberg not out there for that 5 on 3 is inexcusable.

I can only hope some of the Montreal press get in Ruff's face about some of these decisions because god knows Heika won't and Stepneski can't because he works for the organization.

I liked Schlemko and think he'd be a good mentor for either of the other kid defensemen.

Lots of try and want to and that's good but poor goaltending, abysmal power play and dubious defense at times sunk them. It's the theme this season and the reason they're going to miss the playoffs.

I only hope Nill sells at the deadline. There is way too much deadwood on this roster.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
In my opinion. They need to miss the playoffs to wake the **** up and realize what's sinking this team. Coaching is a big wtf at this point, that includes PP and Jordie ****ing Benn getting the nod over rookies who are better than him.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
To me Jordie looked alright, played solid PK, blocked shots and even gave a good pass or two.. Sure he bite hard on that goal but blaming him for the loss is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad