GDT: Game #46 - RANGERS @ Islanders - 7pm - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
If you're telling me nobody said it's a playoff team than you need to start reading more posts. There are literally pages of people posting odds from various places and claiming we have a good chance to make the playoffs bc we have been playing well since X date. I agree with your assessment of the team, many others think they are better than they are

I don't remember anybody claiming we had a realistic chance of making it this year. Most odds had us at 10-20% over the last few weeks.

Reactions: RGY

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
56i4o7.jpg

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not even Scott Bowman could coach a team to a win against a hungry Barold Trotz Islander Hockey Club.
Did I do it right?
Thats a good start.

Any others want to take a shot at the Quinn Apologists excuses for tonight?

Howden isnt that bad he clearly has a role here with the PK!

Biggest Game of the year and this was the effort we got. That is a coaching issue through and through

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What is Vally smoking? We could afford 3 losses? lol
In this division when we can't consistently beat the teams ahead of us? Beating NJ Buff and Philly doesn't do shit

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
If you're telling me nobody said it's a playoff team than you need to start reading more posts. There are literally pages of people posting odds from various places and claiming we have a good chance to make the playoffs bc we have been playing well since X date. I agree with your assessment of the team, many others think they are better than they are
Next year will be the healthy debate on whether we are a "playoff" team or not. Getting into the playoffs because a better team shat the bed or had horrible injuries doesn't make you a proper playoff team.

This group is a proper playoff team/noise maker 2-3 years for now. Next year they can sneak in for sure. I hope so! But a real playoff team? no way, we gotta wait for that, and we should stay there for a good spell once we do.

Reactions: bleedblue94

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Some of the reasons why they lost tonight had to do with playing the Devils four straight. The Devils are a soft team, very soft and with minimal structure. Our team game degraded greatly over those 4 games. The parts of the game i watched tonight showed a Rangers team unwilling to take time and space away from teh Islanders. The D weren't commanding the paint. The forwards weren't getting inside and when they had a shot they always made one extra stickhandle or pass to negate their own opportunity. The fourth line and Brendan Smith were the most effective players on the ice because they were the only ones who took it to the Islanders. Everyone else was a passive mess. I really hate how passive this team gets sometimes. And it's not because they don't have the size to compete on that level -- it's that everyone thinks they're Artemi Panarin.
This post is on point. I noticed that our D hardly ever command the paint. They just freely allow the puck carrier into the zone. I dont understand why they dont press more. Losing Trouba really killed any semblance of a defensive structure.

Reactions: FranklinAndHare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Some of the reasons why they lost tonight had to do with playing the Devils four straight. The Devils are a soft team, very soft and with minimal structure. Our team game degraded greatly over those 4 games. The parts of the game i watched tonight showed a Rangers team unwilling to take time and space away from teh Islanders. The D weren't commanding the paint. The forwards weren't getting inside and when they had a shot they always made one extra stickhandle or pass to negate their own opportunity. The fourth line and Brendan Smith were the most effective players on the ice because they were the only ones who took it to the Islanders. Everyone else was a passive mess. I really hate how passive this team gets sometimes. And it's not because they don't have the size to compete on that level -- it's that everyone thinks they're Artemi Panarin.

I've said this a lot too. Almost the entire team gets caught up with Panarin and what he does and thinks that should be their team style. You need to have different styles of offense from different lines. This team plays too finesse. You could tell the team was quite focused on protecting the defensive paint and the slot early on, but after losing Trouba and then falling behind 2 - 3 goals, you could tell they completely lost focus and let the Isles do what they wanted. Quinn is going to say that 3rd goal was the "backbreaker." I can bet money on that coming from his mouth in a bit. A really disturbing trend I see a lot in games is when the F has a little bit of lane to the inside, he will peel off to the perimeter instead of taking it in like Gauthier. Kakko had a chance to split the D on a play in the first but instead peeled back and circled to make a pass.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Kakko had 23 points last season and would be on pace for 28 in 82 this season. So thats just flat out wrong

Its factually right. Kakko produced less in both seasons. I dont know where the argument is.

If you do it on pace, Patrick was on pace for 35 points in his second season.

I like Kakko, but just because he is 19 doesn't mean he figures it out. Right now he looks like a player with all the tools but no tool box.

If Eichel comes up in a trade, and they want Kakko, we would be foolish to not offer him up. Kravstov, Kakko, Lafreniere, etc will probably never come close to what Eichel can do.

Reactions: DudMan28

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We are really gonna let a kid with potential talent just go away in order to play Howden? I have no idea what Kakko or Laf will become but I can guarantee you Howden will never ever be more than a fringe NHL 4th liner.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Passive mindset started when Torts got fired. AV had same issue unless Tanner his child was playing. It is sickening how soft mentally and physically this team is. What playoff team or a good team has that in their organization. The ones that will be bad for at least a decade. Players either have the heart or not. Finesse soft plays that the players love to make, will ruin their own careers and their reputation so I guess they are fine with that.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
We are really gonna let a kid with potential talent just go away in order to play Howden? I have no idea what Kakko or Laf will become but I can guarantee you Howden will never ever be more than a fringe NHL 4th liner.

He is not even that. Im still not sure why he has a job in the NHL. A steady one at that.

Reactions: bl02

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
that record is padded by playing an AHL team. And they almost blew two games against them. Why do we play a stinker in every big game we play?

We've been playing big games for a month now. We beat washington, boston, and took 3 of 4 from the isles during that stretch. We don't play a stinker in every big game but we did tonight. We just aren't good enough to win every game and we often get out coached IMO. We just need to stay the course and keep adding talent and depth which we will.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Its factually right. Kakko produced less in both seasons. I dont know where the argument is.

If you do it on pace, Patrick was on pace for 35 points in his second season.

I like Kakko, but just because he is 19 doesn't mean he figures it out. Right now he looks like a player with all the tools but no tool box.

If Eichel comes up in a trade, and they want Kakko, we would be foolish to not offer him up. Kravstov, Kakko, Lafreniere, etc will probably never come close to what Eichel can do.
Yes lets rebuild by trading our best young assets for a guy making 10 million dollars and 2 goals this year.
Big big brain

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
We've been playing big games for a month now. We beat washington, boston, and took 3 of 4 from the isles during that stretch. We don't play a stinker in every big game but we did tonight. We just aren't good enough to win every game and we often get out coached IMO. We just need to stay the course and keep adding talent and depth which we will.

These two should not go together.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This post is on point. I noticed that our D hardly ever command the paint. They just freely allow the puck carrier into the zone. I dont understand why they dont press more. Losing Trouba really killed any semblance of a defensive structure.

Usually what happens is the F to D gap becomes too big, so the D needs to be on their heels more. Dmen feel more confident in stepping up when the forwards are there on the backcheck. The D to F handoffs and attempted breakouts sucked tonight also. Got pinned a lot. Then, there was the quick transitions by the Isles on our line changes.

Reactions: DuneGoon84

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Playoffs have been a pipe dream for weeks based on having this team play perfect hockey for weeks on end, on top of continuing doing that in the playoffs. It's infuriating Quinn has been allowed to use that ploy as a crutch to play his beloved scrubs and hide the kids from important situations. Yes, they are kids, they are not perfect they will make mistakes and they will fail but guess what Quinn - it's your JOB to help them grow through it and improve. If only I had any faith whatsoever that he has the competency to do so. It's glaringly obvious he hasn't. If he did he would have shown it already.

Kakko and Kravtsov were saved by the Covid season giving them time away and to focus on working on their basics in Finland and Russia. They will learn NOTHING from Quinn. I do think the Rangers have a good development staff etc. But the coaching, starting from Quinn, is just downright bad.

Gorton needs to own up to his blunder.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Shocked he was not fired for that, well should be after tonight. Quinn please get mugged by a bum on the way home

Reactions: bl02

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Usually what happens is the F to D gap becomes too big, so the D needs to be on their heels more. Dmen feel more confident in stepping up when the forwards are there on the backcheck. The D to F handoffs and attempted breakouts sucked tonight also. Got pinned a lot. Then, there was the quick transitions by the Isles on our line changes.
yeah true, that makes sense.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Yes lets rebuild by trading our best young assets for a guy making 10 million dollars and 2 goals this year.
Big big brain

You're not including Kakko in a trade for a franchise center? Seriously?

We can agree to disagree on this. I won't get into an argument with a fellow Ranger fan.

I'd be willing to include pieces to acquire a franchise center like Eichel. Centers like Eichel are almost impossible to acquire through trade and never hit free agency, only way you get them is by drafting a 1st overall in a high end year.

I enjoy Kakko, I own a bunch of his rookie cards [I am a card collector], and there have been moments where he looks fantastic, but he looks like a player who has all the tools and doesn't know how to use them.

I haven't seen anything from Lafreniere to show he is a 1st overall. I can count the number of games he has been noticeable this year on one hand.

Kravtsov in contrast has been noticeable most games.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He needs to get stronger. Seems very weak to me, his shot is proof or he does not know how to shoot the puck. Was he this bad at that in Finland, his muffin shot

his actual shot is not the problem if he was shooting akd goalies were making saves look easy that’s one thing.

but that’s not happening. He rarely makes them make a save He hesitates and flubs the shot or misses the net or over handles.

believe me it’s not the actual shot that’s the problem. It’s between the ears

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
That's why it's important we switch to a win now coach. Vitali looks fantastic. Any U22 forward that's been coached by Quinn has been disappointing to underwhelming. We need to see what we have here. I don't believe that Andersson, Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, Gauthier, Howden are all just a bunch of 3rd liners. We can't trade with Buffalo when the value of Kakko or Laf is as low as two recent 1st and 2nd overalls can be.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You're not including Kakko in a trade for a franchise center? Seriously?

We can agree to disagree on this. I won't get into an argument with a fellow Ranger fan.

I'd be willing to include pieces to acquire a franchise center like Eichel. Centers like Eichel are almost impossible to acquire through trade and never hit free agency, only way you get them is by drafting a 1st overall in a high end year.

I enjoy Kakko, I own a bunch of his rookie cards [I am a card collector], and there have been moments where he looks fantastic, but he looks like a player who has all the tools and doesn't know how to use them.

I haven't seen anything from Lafreniere to show he is a 1st overall. I can count the number of games he has been noticeable this year on one hand.

Kravtsov in contrast has been noticeable most games.
Not saying you're wrong but best thing that could have happened to Kravtsov was playing with Traktor this year and not here with Quinn. Unfortunately, Kakko and Laf didn't have that luxury. Would be lying tho if I said Kakko hasn't been disappointing. 13 points this year.

Reactions: Fataldogg and Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad