GDT: Game 46: Avs at the Center of the Universe | 5 PM MT | January 14, 2019 | The Who Cares Edition

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hell of a game by the two big Swedes Landeskog and Soda tonight. Landy continues to lead this team on the ice and come up with big goals when they need it, and Soda was just an absolute horse tonight. Congrats to him on his first hat trick.

Varly looked real good in this one. Can’t be faulted on any of the goals, and he came up with some really big saves in each period. First goal was a perfect two man screen and possibly a slight deflection at the point. Hopefully this and last game are a sign he’s healthy and returning to form. Bednar going back to him in each of the last two games means he’s gonna ride Varly as the #1G the rest of the way unless he faulters.

Great seeing big Z back in this game. A couple of chincy little penalties aside (that boarding was BS) he looked real solid to me. Some big hits and some big shots. Exactly what he needs to do. His presence patrolling the Avs blueline during rushes was sorely missed.

On the negative side, Barberio was an absolute tire fire. Multiple times Varlamov had to come up with huge saves to bail out his turnovers and bad positioning. Was totally useless on the non goal letting the Leafs get to the puck on the wall so they can pass out front for the goal. Then after watching the Leafs use the stretch pass all night long, he gets caught flat footed at the blueline and Marner blows past him for the third goal. He’s sitting next game for sure.

Kerfoot had a terrible game too. I haven’t seen a player with as many turnovers at his own blueline as he’s had the last few weeks, in a long long time. He just keeps making really bonehead decisions with the puck, especially when breaking out of his zone. Leafs second goal he makes a really soft backhand pass behind the net which gets turned over for the bang bang goal. Almost caused a couple other goals too with bad turnovers.

Great to get back in the win column though that’s for sure. Love seeing that upgraded Soda line chip in some much needed secondary scoring as well.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Kerfoot had a terrible game too. I haven’t seen a player with as many turnovers at his own blueline as he’s had the last few weeks, in a long long time. He just keeps making really bonehead decisions with the puck, especially when breaking out of his zone. Leafs second goal he makes a really soft backhand pass behind the net which gets turned over for the bang bang goal. Almost caused a couple other goals too with bad turnovers.
I thought he got better and was good late in the third. New line and role, so it's normal to take a little to adjust but I like him playing with Calvert and Nieto.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Canada or not I’ll never understand booing your own players and calling it passionate
The people that do that are not even real fans, most are just there for a night out and unfortunately like it TO, you have to play $200+ for nosebleed tickets, $12+ for a beer, etc.... they feel ripped off if the team doesn’t win every home game. That or they are just pure clown shoes lol

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I can't even imagine what it is like to know as much as you do about goal-tending and be watching those two right now lol.

It is like in Star Ship Troopers when the TV asks you; "This dude is being hung because he cut he neighbor's head off" "Would you like to know more?" "**** no, click."

The frustrating aspect of this is it's all mental for both goalies. This isn't Gru/Varly making some sort of technical mistake that can be adjusted or an injury they are fighting through. This is them needing to get in a better mental state which makes it frustrating because for us and them it's a waiting game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'd strangely be okay with Kamenev being given a chance if he was capable of playing but as is....If Soda is taken out off the 2nd line center role, I can only assume Joe is sticking his hand back into the operating end of a snow-blower and trying to waive the white flag on this season and tank.

There is absolutely no excuse for him or Bednar to not be icing the best team they can and it's pretty ****ing apparent that Carl is our second best center right now.

I really do believe that outside of a trade for a better 2nd line center, if we see Carl back with **** wingers this season the Avs are trying to tank.

You should prepare yourself mentally then because sadly, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert line. :(

Bednar seems so set in his ways that it wouldn't surprise me if he went back to that at the first sign that #22-#34-#37 line start to struggle a bit.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
You should prepare yourself mentally then because sadly, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert line. :(

Bednar seems so set in his ways that it wouldn't surprise me if he went back to that at the first sign that #22-#34-#37 line start to struggle a bit.
Usually I'd agree because Bednar is Bednar but I think this is the 2nd line we'll have for the rest of the season. And it should work because Compher and Soda both think the game the same way and because Wilson is a good puck possession player. Depending on Bednar/Sakic's moves (so about time to call up Greer to finally add some fire to our bottom six) we might have a 3rd/4th line problem now but I think our 2nd line won't be a problem anymore.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Ferraro spent most of the 2nd and 3rd periods raving about the Nieto-Kerfoot-Calvert line. Watched the recorded version this morning.

That line drew two penalties, spent most of their shifts cycling in the offensive zone, and were consistently good all night long.

Also, Zadorov with 7 hits. Entire Leafs team had 13. :sarcasm:

We pounded them physically in their own barn, 28 hits to 13 and of course Big Z leading the way. They were legit scared of him, there’s at least two posts on the Leafs forum saying the same thing. He makes such a difference, just needs to keep the penalties to a minimum and keep the feet moving at all times.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I see people are split on Kerfoot to no surprise. I liek some of what I saw, disliked quite a bit as well. he seemed engaged, but also very shaky in terms of keeping possession, definitely pleasantly surprised with his defensive game, but then again he is allergic to shooting. If he's smart he will try to improve his defensive game and work on it liek a mad man. If he becomes even just an average defensive pivot to go along with his playmaking he will become a far more sought after player. Right now he is a guy who can score playing on a bad team.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's almost like Bednar was still punishing him for the 16-17 season. He'd simply not allow him to play with good players ever again.

LOL, well to be fair, practically this entire forum was ready to call the Soderberg contract a complete bomb after that season, and just about everyone was ready to jettison Carl to the moon. There were only a few of us - myself, RIAL, a few others - who were confident he'd come back and be solid in the following season.

At this point, I wonder if Bednar is stuck on aligning Soderberg with other teams' lines, rather than putting together the best 2nd line he could. Thus, having 2nd/3rd lines that are mixed/matched/cobbled together, and not very effective offensively.

Because if we look at the Avs' #4/5/6 forward scorers, Soderberg/Compher/Wilson have combined for 33 goals so far this season (with 2 guys having missed games due to injury no less), which is not a bad overall 2nd line scoring number (if in fact they were an actual line). Last year, Tampa was the highest scoring team in the league, and their #4/5/6 forwards scored 66 goals over the course of the entire season. The Avs 4/5/6 guys are currently close to that pace.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Z and Soda played excellent games last night... both were spectacular and even with Z's penalties, he was noticeable in a positive way. Hopefully Bednar keeps that 2nd line together and it can take some pressure off the top line. Kerfoot was actually pretty solid last night too, but I don't expect that line to be able to hold up consistently. Girard needs to clean up his game...

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I can't believe nobody ever thought of giving Soda better linemates before last night, Bednar is truly a visionary.

Big Z has a crazy good effect on the boys when he plays, let's hope he stays healthy and keeps the stupid penalties to a minimum.

Watching that 4th line of spare parts makes it glaring how much the team misses Kamanev.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Avs management is desperately grasping for any success they can find. I would be surprised if they look past the soda/wilson/JT line.

Reactions: MacBradley

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I hated Nemeth before it was cool, so I feel ya. I even hated Mitchell when it was cool to love him, and still liked Calvert when it was cool to hate him. Such is life lol..
Please leave Malkin out of this, making fun of him was one of the few bright spots of those teams he was a part of.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So now it seems that we can actually roll out a 2nd line that doesn't completely suck. Hopefully coach leaves that together.

That leaves a combo of Kerfoot, Jost, Nieto, Calvert, Ghetto, Bourque and Dries to fill that bottom 6 they need to step up and give decent minutes when they are out there.

Also it can't be stated how important Zadorov is to this team. He isn't the best player on the team, but he sure is intimidating for the other team. Not to mention his personality probably lightens the mood a bit it the locker room. He is just one of those glue guys that provides more than stats. We just play better hockey when he is in the lineup.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ferraro spent most of the 2nd and 3rd periods raving about the Nieto-Kerfoot-Calvert line. Watched the recorded version this morning.

That line drew two penalties, spent most of their shifts cycling in the offensive zone, and were consistently good all night long.

Also, Zadorov with 7 hits. Entire Leafs team had 13. :sarcasm:

We pounded them physically in their own barn, 28 hits to 13 and of course Big Z leading the way. They were legit scared of him, there’s at least two posts on the Leafs forum saying the same thing. He makes such a difference, just needs to keep the penalties to a minimum and keep the feet moving at all times.
Z first shift back who goes tell Kadri he better not touch Nathan. In the second period Kadri bails on an incoming Z hit. Hyman hits Nathan. Z skates in and all the shenanigans just stop. It was like in the those scary movies when all the creatures in the forest stop making a sound because a demonic presence was nearby.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think they should do a reshuffling of the defensive pairings like they did the forward lines, especially now that Erik Johnson has found his inner Condor. Put Big Z with EJ, keep the Cole/Barrie pairing and put Sammy with Nemeth on the third, lighten his workload and let him find his game again.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Z first shift back who goes tell Kadri he better not touch Nathan. In the second period Kadri bails on an incoming Z hit. Hyman hits Nathan. Z skates in and all the shenanigans just stop. It was like in the those scary movies when all the creatures in the forest stop making a sound because a demonic presence was nearby.
Or like a murder of crows eating a carcass and they bolt because an eagle is fast approaching.

I'm from the country.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The frustrating aspect of this is it's all mental for both goalies. This isn't Gru/Varly making some sort of technical mistake that can be adjusted or an injury they are fighting through. This is them needing to get in a better mental state which makes it frustrating because for us and them it's a waiting game.

The only thing I can notice for sure is they both look really stiff, and get surprised by pucks a lot where it looks like they are not tracking the puck coming off the ice. Kind of like a deflection, but even when they see the shot coming sometimes.

I know there are players in the NHL who are of the caliber that they can do that to goalies regularly with their shot, but when Varly is on (haven't seen as much of Grubs in the past to judge) it seem very rare that a clean shot surprises him in any way. Even then you can kind of tell when they track a puck well, but just can't react in time.

So the mental thing makes sense I guess.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It truly can't be stated enough how much of a presence he is on the ice. If he can be that consistently while playing 20-23 minutes per night, he's going to be immensely valuable to this team.

He also seems like a dude that just gels this team together. Personality like that is infectious. Everyone plays bigger when Z is playing.
I think they should do a reshuffling of the defensive pairings like they did the forward lines, especially now that Erik Johnson has found his inner Condor. Put Big Z with EJ, keep the Cole/Barrie pairing and put Sammy with Nemeth on the third, lighten his workload and let him find his game again.

Agreed, though I'd switch it up slightly:

Cole - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie

I liked what I saw last season from Zadorov and Barrie when EJ got hurt, and I think that Cole - EJ gives a legitimate defensive pairing while EJ has now found his legs and won't constantly be deferring to a guy like Cole.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Z and Soda played excellent games last night... both were spectacular and even with Z's penalties, he was noticeable in a positive way. Hopefully Bednar keeps that 2nd line together and it can take some pressure off the top line. Kerfoot was actually pretty solid last night too, but I don't expect that line to be able to hold up consistently. Girard needs to clean up his game...

It was at least a good sign with Kerfoot on the road. It will be easier to manage that line at home obviously.

So are you ok with giving Z 4M now? lol

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Boy you just working on saving Bedsy's job all day aren't you lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad