GDT: Game 46: Avs at the Center of the Universe | 5 PM MT | January 14, 2019 | The Who Cares Edition

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mikko decided to score his own goal after stripping Kadri instead of feeding it over to MacK for the open net lol.

Yeah that was sweet. So that's 2 quiet nights in a row for Mack following the Bednar incident. Not sure I like that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We use the nickname Combat Carl from Toy Story. As for Graves, he reminds me of the first season of Holden. Should be an NHL player, but it a very limited role. Not sure how long he can stay with the team before waivers become an issue for him.

I get people comparing these two, but Holden can't hold a candle to Graves as far as agility and first step. Holden never had a damn prayer of recovering from some of his pinches. Graves has done a nice job not completely losing his man even when hes made the few mistakes hes made. I also think Graves makes better decisions under pressure than either of Nemeth or Barbs, or Holden.

I hate that comp lol. Holden also just like Nemeth was king of panic driven icings, as well as a f*** ton of unforced icings. At least Nemeth skates it to the redline now lol.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just finished watching the game.

1. Carl Soderberg plays with some decent players and gets first career hat trick. Yah. How about that. The one guy Jared was determined to never surround some talent around has one of his best games of the season and possibly his career. That first Soda goal was just so damn good. All heart and nothing but heart. Also, now I know why the leaf fans boo Gardiner everytime he touches the puck. Yeesh.

2. Thought Varly had a quiet game in the crease. Solid for the most part made some huge saves in the first to keep it blanks and I think the team fed off of that a little. Wasnt a fan of the first goal but not much he can do about the 2nd and 3rd goal.

3. Mark Barberio can get lost off this team already. A complete brain dead defenseman who brings absolutely nothing to this roster. He skates fast ok and what else? Terrible reads, soft and a turnover machine. Hes directly responsible for two goals tonight(one that didnt count). Just a low iq hockey player. Graves deserves to be in over him next game hands down.

4. So we won one game when Z was hurt and won the first game Z showed up. Hmmm. Im not sure if its a coincidence or anything but.....Yah Z is key to this teams success. Not a fan of the two penalties really but for his first game back I thought he was very noticeable. He was solid in his own end crushed a poor swede twice in the same shift, made Kadri shit out his lunch a little and was not afraid to move up and take some shots on net. I counted 4 shots for the russian. Im not sure who he matched up against tonight but Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and even Marner besides the one goal were completely shut down. Not sure if it was him playing the major minutes against those guys or not. Man its nice to have him back.

5. Dont look now but Nathan Mackinnon has not registered a point since yelling at his Jared. Long slump incoming. Thought Nathan looked ok tonight. Was probably the worse player on his line but watever. I was expecting him to kind of go on a mini tear after all the media hoopla but that hasnt happened. Hopefully he pots a few in the next game.

6. I thought EJ had another solid game tonight and thats about 5 in a row now where hes looked great imo. Maybe hes getting back to form? Hopefully because this roster needs EJ at his very best.

7. Our PP entry needs a revamp like last month. Teams are obviously taking away that pass so we are gonna need the PP guy on the bench to devise a new scheme because the one that counts on the bump back is not working. Barrie is not good enough to bring it in the zone so lets stop asking him to do it. Quick smart passes up the ice might be the only other options because this team cannot dump,chase and retrieve.

8. I blamed Barberio for that Marner goal so i'll go ahead and blame Sam Girard for the leafs official second goal. Not good. Girards game has taken a major nose dive. Hopefully getting Z back Jared can scale back Girards minutes a little because he hasnt been the same Sammy for us that started this season. Not sure if its fatigue or what but yah I havent liked Sams game in a good while offensively or defensively.

9. Wilson has been good since returning. I havent been upset at something hes done and I really liked his board play especially tonight. That won battle lead to the GWG for Soda after a nice pass from JTC.

10. We were easily the better team tonight. The eye test said so, the stat line says so and the scoreboard said so. They need to carry this forward and legit string together a 5-10 game winning streak. No more excuses. All the regulars minus Kamenev are in. Oh yah one more thing send Dries to Loveland he sucks. Is Toninato back and doing anything worth a call up?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just finished watching the game.

1. Carl Soderberg plays with some decent players and gets first career hat trick. Yah. How about that. The one guy Jared was determined to never surround some talent around has one of his best games of the season and possibly his career. That first Soda goal was just so damn good. All heart and nothing but heart. Also, now I know why the leaf fans boo Gardiner everytime he touches the puck. Yeesh.

2. Thought Varly had a quiet game in the crease. Solid for the most part made some huge saves in the first to keep it blanks and I think the team fed off of that a little. Wasnt a fan of the first goal but not much he can do about the 2nd and 3rd goal.

3. Mark Barberio can get lost off this team already. A complete brain dead defenseman who brings absolutely nothing to this roster. He skates fast ok and what else? Terrible reads, soft and a turnover machine. Hes directly responsible for two goals tonight(one that didnt count). Just a low iq hockey player. Graves deserves to be in over him next game hands down.

4. So we won one game when Z was hurt and won the first game Z showed up. Hmmm. Im not sure if its a coincidence or anything but.....Yah Z is key to this teams success. Not a fan of the two penalties really but for his first game back I thought he was very noticeable. He was solid in his own end crushed a poor swede twice in the same shift, made Kadri **** out his lunch a little and was not afraid to move up and take some shots on net. I counted 4 shots for the russian. Im not sure who he matched up against tonight but Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and even Marner besides the one goal were completely shut down. Not sure if it was him playing the major minutes against those guys or not. Man its nice to have him back.

5. Dont look now but Nathan Mackinnon has not registered a point since yelling at his Jared. Long slump incoming. Thought Nathan looked ok tonight. Was probably the worse player on his line but watever. I was expecting him to kind of go on a mini tear after all the media hoopla but that hasnt happened. Hopefully he pots a few in the next game.

6. I thought EJ had another solid game tonight and thats about 5 in a row now where hes looked great imo. Maybe hes getting back to form? Hopefully because this roster needs EJ at his very best.

7. Our PP entry needs a revamp like last month. Teams are obviously taking away that pass so we are gonna need the PP guy on the bench to devise a new scheme because the one that counts on the bump back is not working. Barrie is not good enough to bring it in the zone so lets stop asking him to do it. Quick smart passes up the ice might be the only other options because this team cannot dump,chase and retrieve.

8. I blamed Barberio for that Marner goal so i'll go ahead and blame Sam Girard for the leafs official second goal. Not good. Girards game has taken a major nose dive. Hopefully getting Z back Jared can scale back Girards minutes a little because he hasnt been the same Sammy for us that started this season. Not sure if its fatigue or what but yah I havent liked Sams game in a good while offensively or defensively.

9. Wilson has been good since returning. I havent been upset at something hes done and I really liked his board play especially tonight. That won battle lead to the GWG for Soda after a nice pass from JTC.

10. We were easily the better team tonight. The eye test said so, the stat line says so and the scoreboard said so. They need to carry this forward and legit string together a 5-10 game winning streak. No more excuses. All the regulars minus Kamenev are in. Oh yah one more thing send Dries to Loveland he sucks. Is Toninato back and doing anything worth a call up?

I really miss Kam..

I also kind of wish Greer was a center lol. How has JCB been in the AHL?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In the category "who's more important to this team", Soda is much closer to the first line guys than to the 5th guy on that list (whoever that is).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In the category "who's more important to this team", Soda is much closer to the first line guys than to the 5th guy on that list (whoever that is).

I think a legit target by the TDL probably needs to be a #4C who is good at FOs. It would kind of suck not to at least try someone like JCB for a game or two, but he could probably use another year or two obviously.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
How bad was the booing for Gardiner in Toronto? I didn’t really notice and don’t think the altitude feed remarked on it. Either way that Soderberg shorty was tasty AF

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How bad was the booing for Gardiner in Toronto? I didn’t really notice and don’t think the altitude feed remarked on it. Either way that Soderberg shorty was tasty AF

Well there is like 20 pages of arguing over it on the Leafs board lol. I legit think the guy who started it outed himself then went on to be called a shit and a hero by different factions.

It blows my mind they need a separate thread for pre-game, GDT, and post game. And I don't think I read a single post with substance in all three.

Reactions: Tike Myson

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
AC999872-DC55-4F3B-B001-0AC16C14DB93.jpeg
Well there is like 20 pages of arguing over it on the Leafs board lol. I legit think the guy who started it outed himself then went on to be called a **** and a hero by different factions.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

We all know it, but Erik Johnson is at his best when he's constantly moving his feet. He's not idiotically jumping into the play, he's being smart about it and he's actually helping move up the ice as a breakout option instead of just sitting back there and deferring to Girard.

I like Girard, he has a very bright future but the best thing for EJ right now is to get the hell away from him. Sammy is playing some really poor hockey at the moment, so run EJ with Zads and try to limit Girard's minutes, especially in the defensive zone.

Also, the PP entry stinks but there was one play today I believe in the 3rd where Landeskog just said "**** it" and chipped it into the zone as three Leafs players were standing at the line. It worked beautifully, but as he went to pass it back God only knows where Tyson Barrie was and the puck left the zone. Soft chips like that instead of trying to make the perfect entry are going to do this team wonders as opposing teams will stop pressuring like crazy and realize that we're going to get it in the zone every single time that way if they actually start doing it.
I really miss Kam..

I also kind of wish Greer was a center lol. How has JCB been in the AHL?

Just run Jost as the 4C with Greer and Andrighetto. See if that works, because Dries just isn't very good.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We all know it, but Erik Johnson is at his best when he's constantly moving his feet. He's not idiotically jumping into the play, he's being smart about it and he's actually helping move up the ice as a breakout option instead of just sitting back there and deferring to Girard.

I like Girard, he has a very bright future but the best thing for EJ right now is to get the hell away from him. Sammy is playing some really poor hockey at the moment, so run EJ with Zads and try to limit Girard's minutes, especially in the defensive zone.

Also, the PP entry stinks but there was one play today I believe in the 3rd where Landeskog just said "**** it" and chipped it into the zone as three Leafs players were standing at the line. It worked beautifully, but as he went to pass it back God only knows where Tyson Barrie was and the puck left the zone. Soft chips like that instead of trying to make the perfect entry are going to do this team wonders as opposing teams will stop pressuring like crazy and realize that we're going to get it in the zone every single time that way if they actually start doing it.

Just run Jost as the 4C with Greer and Andrighetto. See if that works, because Dries just isn't very good.

I could see that working actually. I haven't noticed, has Jost gotten any better at FOs? lol

I think people are starting to get a little rough on G-man. I still view him as a 20 year old playing in a role over his head. Him not getting completely destroyed is my bar for him, and usually he hits it for the most part lol. I have gotten a little frustrated with him not shooting lately.

I also find it somewhat concerning EJ needs to be the OFD on his pairing considering he does not really produce well. It is just weird.. If EJ could just f***ing hit 40 points every year I'd be fine, but the guy isn't engaged unless hes playing OFD man and while better lately usually results in nothing at the other end. Use what you got I guess.

EJ needs a Zadorov on his pair, but Z in a few years when hes a 35+ point guy. Yes I do still think Z has offensive potential for all you haterz. I just think it is going to come along vewy slowly as he matures into his late twenties.

Last edited:

AvsFanHut17

Sep 19, 2016
I only got to watch the 2nd period but man the boys played great. Each line did what they had to do. A huge turn around compared to the MTL game.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Honestly, seeing Soda play so well and working so good on that line pisses me off. I’ve been saying he needs to be used in a more offensive role for months, can’t understand how Bednar didn’t see that and why it took so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad