GDT: Game 46: Avs at the Center of the Universe | 5 PM MT | January 14, 2019 | The Who Cares Edition

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't sway easily on small samples ;)

It is going to be interesting long term here with three of our top four D being sucky starters on the season. All three of Z, EJ, and Barrie start slow at different levels lol.

If Makar becomes a slow starter I think I'm going to be bald in two years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is going to be interesting long term here with three of our top four D being sucky starters on the season. All three of Z, EJ, and Barrie start slow at different levels lol.

If Makar becomes a slow starter I think I'm going to be bald in two years.

I don't think Z or EJ are slow starters... Barrie certainly is. Z is just inconsistent, doesn't matter where in the season it is. EJ is regressing... I think he will have spurts of former play, but he won't be able to hold it up consistently. I know, all sunshine and rose over here.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How come Barrie's struggles were from a slow start but not Z and EJ? Especially considering EJ has been much better the last 3-4 weeks and Z looked good in this game.

Zadorov most definitely has better finishes to seasons than starts. He has to learn to correct this, but it's happened multiple seasons in his career. It's not just random inconsistency.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah Z is basically the definition of a slow starter

If he is just a slow starter, why does he have large slumps every year and multiple times? Along with that, he started last season just fine the first 6-7 games then dove into a slump. He's just inconsistent at this point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If he is just a slow starter, why does he have large slumps every year and multiple times? Along with that, he started last season just fine the first 6-7 games then dove into a slump. He's just inconsistent at this point.

Why are the slumps usually at the beginning of the season and why does he usually finish strong? It's not an excuse it's just a reality.

Zadorov was a healthy scratch on opening night last year. He had a few decent games when he came back, not 6-7, then went into a slump. That's a slow start.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Johnson
Nemeth-Girard

Zadorov Barrie can honestly be a dominating pair at times with speed and great breakout ability.
Cole Johnson allows EJ to play his wheeling game while being covered on the back end and having all around solid D play
Nemeth Girard we get to reduce Girard's load while giving him more of a green light to create offensively which will hopefully add to our secondary scoring.

Each pair has size, speed and puck moving ability.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Z or EJ are slow starters... Barrie certainly is. Z is just inconsistent, doesn't matter where in the season it is. EJ is regressing... I think he will have spurts of former play, but he won't be able to hold it up consistently. I know, all sunshine and rose over here.

How come Barrie's struggles were from a slow start but not Z and EJ? Especially considering EJ has been much better the last 3-4 weeks and Z looked good in this game.

Zadorov most definitely has better finishes to seasons than starts. He has to learn to correct this, but it's happened multiple seasons in his career. It's not just random inconsistency.

Yeah Z is basically the definition of a slow starter

Why are the slumps usually at the beginning of the season and why does he usually finish strong? It's not an excuse it's just a reality.

Zadorov was a healthy scratch on opening night last year. He had a few decent games when he came back, not 6-7, then went into a slump. That's a slow start.

Definitely not as sure about it as these guys, but it feels like Z really gets going further into the season. He may be *fine, but we don't see stretches of his peak play early IMO.

I do kind of wonder if Z is always going to struggle with conditioning at the beginning of the season. Hes kind of like Buff in a way that he seems to be able to put on bad weight really easily. In saying that from his posts it seemed like it wasn't for lack of trying this off-season, but the guy just wasn't ready to play 20 minutes a night and look good at the start. That is my conspiracy theory as to why he didn't start the year anywhere close to the way he finished the previous season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Definitely not as sure about it as these guys, but it feels like Z really gets going further into the season. He may be *fine, but we don't see stretches of his peak play early IMO.

I do kind of wonder if Z is always going to struggle with conditioning at the beginning of the season. Hes kind of like Buff in a way that he seems to be able to put on bad weight really easily. In saying that from his posts it seemed like it wasn't for lack of trying this off-season, but the guy just wasn't ready to play 20 minutes a night and look good at the start. That is my conspiracy theory as to why he didn't start the year anywhere close to the way he finished the previous season.

Just in general, bigger guys like Z, EJ, and Buff have to put in more effort taking care of themselves in the off season. They can get out of hockey shape pretty easily. It takes them longer to warm up before games because of their big bodies, and it probably has a similar effect on warming up during pre-season/camp for the season.

Not sure if Z will ever figure out completely, but this is why it's important to keep remembering he's only 23. Most defenseman don't have it all figured out by that age. By 25-26 is when you start to see a defenseman becoming true pros, and weeding out the inconsistency in their game. That was the age it started to click for EJ.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’m kinda built like Z, except like way less athletic and not nearly as strong; basically tall and lanky. But when I played sports it was always so easy for me to to get out of shape over the offseason so I definitely can see how that would make some sense.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just in general, bigger guys like Z, EJ, and Buff have to put in more effort taking care of themselves in the off season. They can get out of hockey shape pretty easily. It takes them longer to warm up before games because of their big bodies, and it probably has a similar effect on warming up during pre-season/camp for the season.

Not sure if Z will ever figure it out completely, but this is why it's important to keep remembering he's only 23. Most defenseman don't have it all figured out by that age. By 25-26 is when you start to see a defenseman becoming true pros, and weeding out the inconsistency in their game.

Yeah that is when Buff and Burns really hit their peak. Chara as well. I remember stories of Buff hitting like 300+ or something like that lol, and had to slim way back to gain some speed back.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah that is when Buff and Burns really hit their peak. Chara as well. I remember stories of Buff hitting like 300+ or something like that lol, and had to slim way back to gain some speed back.

Buff's kind of a freak athlete to be fair. Very few people in this world could compete in the NHL at his size. Especially at the level he does.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Buff's kind of a freak athlete to be fair. Very few people in this world could compete in the NHL at his size. Especially at the level he does.

Yeah he is, but there was a clear period of time where he had to figure out how to manage his weight and it didn't come with consistency until he hit his late twenties. That is all I'm trying to link between the two.

Reactions: Waingro

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Z is built for playoff hockey too. Huge, intimidating, decent speed and puck skills. Great for getting players off their games.
Seems hes the kinda guy that thrives when given more. Whether it be ice time or responsibility. He flaunders when he feels he has to walk on egg shells. We seen that pretty often.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Man, I seriously forget that Z is only 23 years old. This is his 4th NHL season and 5th season of pro hockey as a defensemen being just 23 years old. He won't hit that 300-game threshold until next season.

I really do root for the guy because he seems like such a great personality and great teammate to have around.
True. So much still to be untapped with Z. I forget hes that young aswell.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Seems hes the kinda guy that thrives when given more. Whether it be ice time or responsibility. He flaunders when he feels he has to walk on egg shells. We seen that pretty often.

Yeah it is kind of weird how Bednar handles him sometimes. I've seen Bednar directly say he knows he needs to give Z confidence, but sometimes seems a bit quick to slap him on the wrist at times as well. I think at this point you cut his minutes, and he can handle that, but being benched early in the year wasn't helping IMO. Especially considering who we were playing instead.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
True. So much still to be untapped with Z. I forget hes that young aswell.

That is also why it kind of bothers me that hes been pinned as a DFD by everyone at this point. His offensive potential is still there, and we see more of it the more confident he gets.

Maybe hes never going to be a 40-50 point 15 goal guy, but EJ's production should be obtainable IMO. 30-40 points still seems possible to me.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That is also why it kind of bothers me that hes been pinned as a DFD by everyone at this point. His offensive potential is still there, and we see more of it the more confident he gets.

Maybe hes never going to be a 40-50 point 15 goal guy, but EJ's production should be obtainable IMO. 30-40 points still seems possible to me.

And he’s got a bomb. Not the most accurate, but holy moly he gets that thing going.

Also is it me or does it seem that almost every goal Z scores is a big one momentum wise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->