GDT: Game 46: Avs at the Center of the Universe | 5 PM MT | January 14, 2019 | The Who Cares Edition

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
No. That’s just Bednar employing vet priority. Barbs had his chance and sucked. Not he needs to put Graves back in. Or Nemeth at least.
No he’s playing the guy whose played 300 nhl games not the guy who most likely will suck and be playing over seas in a few years. If graves becomes good that’s great but he’s not going to magically be good out of nowhere this year.

You all do this every year, there’s some tweener 5th rounder you flip out the coach doesn’t play, he inevitably sucks and is out of the nhl in 3 years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No he’s playing the guy whose played 300 nhl games not the guy who most likely will suck and be playing over seas in a few years. If graves becomes good that’s great but he’s not going to magically be good out of nowhere this year.

You all do this every year, there’s some tweener 5th rounder you flip out the coach doesn’t play, he inevitably sucks and is out of the nhl in 3 years.

This reminds me of watching a hockey game blind folded, and then commenting on the game afterward.

Reactions: klozge

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nice to see a win for a change.

It's really sad that it took over half a season for Bednar to finally just throw together his 3 best secondary players. Weird when you put guys together that actually have some offensive capabilities, you get some results.

I actually kind of like the line. It's got a similar complexion to or top line. Wilson can win puck battles in corners and is willing to go to the net like Landy, Compher is fast and reads plays well like MacKinnon, and Soderberg is that nice big body all around player like Rantanen. Obviously their skill level is way below the top line but the makeup is similar.

Anyway nice game for us. Maybe beating a team like Toronto in their building will give us a little swag back. We've got for winnable games coming up before the break it would be nice to get at least 3 of those.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Yet Mark is a 6th rounder and as not played 300 games.

Graves was better in his few games than Barb this year.

Reactions: klozge

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nice to see a win for a change.

It's really sad that it took over half a season for Bednar to finally just throw together his 3 best secondary players. Weird when you put guys together that actually have some offensive capabilities, you get some results.

I actually kind of like the line. It's got a similar complexion to or top line. Wilson can win puck battles in corners and is willing to go to the net like Landy, Compher is fast and reads plays well like MacKinnon, and Soderberg is that nice big body all around player like Rantanen. Obviously their skill level is way below the top line but the makeup is similar.

Anyway nice game for us. Maybe beating a team like Toronto in their building will give us a little swag back. We've got for winnable games coming up before the break it would be nice to get at least 3 of those.

Yeah it is going to be great when Soda and Compher are the drivers of our damn third line lol. You take what you can get right now though.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
That's the kind of win and effort you can use to build on. The Rantanen and first Soderberg goal were ones where they just decided they needed to be the difference. Winning against the Leafs in Toronto should be the confidence boost this team needs to come out against Ottawa on Wednesday and finish off the road trip strong. Seeing Soderberg get the hatty was great and well deserved. He's been great to watch this season. Varly has been interesting these past two games. He's not getting any luck with his mental mistakes. If he makes one it's in the back of the net no doubt about it. The promising aspect of Varly right now is despite a few stutters he's getting that engine revved up like he did last year around this time. The important thing is that Varly keep improving and with how Grubauer's been struggling it's Varly crease to lose.

Side note: This is the 3rd win the Avs have gotten on my wife's birthday since she became an Avs fan at the start of the 2013/14 season. Needless to say she's super stoked due to the result and I'm relieved haha

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...nice to see Bednar finally, FINALLY relenting well after the midpoint of the season and putting Big Carl where he belongs.

I suppose we can't use the nickname "Hot Carl" can we? Oh well...

And yes, Barbs was embarrassingly bad. That's kind of the way he's been this year--when coming in cold off IR or Scratchtown he's rusty as hell and plays like crap, finally gets warmed up and turns in a couple good games, then gets hurt. I guess the extension was a bad idea but remember, they were counting on Conor Timmins to possibly force his way onto this roster. For a 6/7 guy he's normally a decent option but man...he had a brutal, brutal showing tonight, no question.

I totally get why people would rather see Graves but let's also keep in mind that Graves plays a pretty high-risk game. There were a few instances even in the games where he's looked good that he made a pinch or went for a big hit and nearly got burned badly, but by sheer luck it didn't turn into a breakaway chance against. I think if Bednar took the shackles off it could be disastrous. Still, I don't think you can go back to Barbs next game, no way. I suppose we'll see Nemeth, who (hope I don't jinx things) honestly hasn't been that bad during this stretch.

Anyway, nice, gutsy, come-from-behind win, and guess what? The top line didn't have to save the day for once.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's the kind of win and effort you can use to build on. The Rantanen and first Soderberg goal were ones where they just decided they needed to be the difference. Winning against the Leafs in Toronto should be the confidence boost this team needs to come out against Ottawa on Wednesday and finish off the road trip strong. Seeing Soderberg get the hatty was great and well deserved. He's been great to watch this season. Varly has been interesting these past two games. He's not getting any luck with his mental mistakes. If he makes one it's in the back of the net no doubt about it. The promising aspect of Varly right now is despite a few stutters he's getting that engine revved up like he did last year around this time. The important thing is that Varly keep improving and with how Grubauer's been struggling it's Varly crease to lose.

Side note: This is the 3rd win the Avs have gotten on my wife's birthday since she became an Avs fan at the start of the 2013/14 season. Needless to say she's super stoked due to the result and I'm relieved haha

I can't even imagine what it is like to know as much as you do about goal-tending and be watching those two right now lol.

It is like in Star Ship Troopers when the TV asks you; "This dude is being hung because he cut he neighbor's head off" "Would you like to know more?" "f*** no, click."

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Seven-Costanza-Soda-Baby-Names.jpg

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Well...nice to see Bednar finally, FINALLY relenting well after the midpoint of the season and putting Big Carl where he belongs.

I suppose we can't use the nickname "Hot Carl" can we? Oh well...

I totally get why people would rather see Graves but let's also keep in mind that Graves plays a pretty high-risk game. There were a few instances even in the games where he's looked good that he made a pinch or went for a big hit and nearly got burned badly, but by sheer luck it didn't turn into a breakaway chance against. I think if Bednar took the shackles off it could be disastrous. Still, I don't think you can go back to Barbs next game, no way. I suppose we'll see Nemeth, who (hope I don't jinx things) honestly hasn't been that bad during this stretch.

Anyway, nice, gutsy, come-from-behind win, and guess what? The top line didn't have to save the day for once.

We use the nickname Combat Carl from Toy Story. As for Graves, he reminds me of the first season of Holden. Should be an NHL player, but it a very limited role. Not sure how long he can stay with the team before waivers become an issue for him.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Man was it nice to get Zadorov and Wilson back in the lineup. The difference between having two 6/7’s on the bottom pair versus a 4/5 is incredible. To clarify I think Z plays around a 3/4 game, but he’s just back from an injury.

Also loves the fact that Z was throwing his body around and making a difference out there. First call was pretty weak imo, second is gonna get called every time even if it wasn’t his intent to crush the guy from behind. Having Z in the lineup also takes a ton of pressure off Cole to be the only shutdown guy on our backend.

Loved the new line combos, the second line looked good and could definitely be a good third line and the third line looked like it could be a good fourth line. Our Ahl line has its moments with Sven being the most noticeable, but if we’re gonna play Jost less than 12min a game he may as well be in the AHL.

While Varly want great he had some big saves on the power play that could have been back breaking bad they gone in at the time.

Also huge shout out to Sodaberg for being dominant and putting a solid effort out there, should have had 4 goals IMo.

Now let’s hope we can carry that win and turn it into momentum agaissnt Ottawa, a must win game for many reasons.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just watched the 4min recap of the game and didn't see Mack once. Is he OK?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad