GDT: Game 45: Pens @ Avs; 10AM GST+8 Saturday (like 7pm Fri local); Which team shows up?

Final Score:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, one of those got called out by the coach, and one didn't.

Honestly I don't think it's a huge deal. I don't know if Groob is particularly close with any of his teammates and that's fine, they're not all going to be best friends. So long as there is a cohesive core in that room, and I think there is, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm willing to bet nearly every team has 1-2 bad apples, it's only in extreme cases (i.e., Hoffman) where it completely derails a team.

And I don't think Groob is a "bad apple," he just may be one of those varieties of apples that just isn't that great, but still edible, like "Washington Delicious." They can't all be Honeycrisps.

So does that make Landy the Golden Delicious?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well, one of those got called out by the coach, and one didn't.

Honestly I don't think it's a huge deal. I don't know if Groob is particularly close with any of his teammates and that's fine, they're not all going to be best friends. So long as there is a cohesive core in that room, and I think there is, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm willing to bet nearly every team has 1-2 bad apples, it's only in extreme cases (i.e., Hoffman) where it completely derails a team.

And I don't think Groob is a "bad apple," he just may be one of those varieties of apples that just isn't that great, but still edible, like "Washington Delicious." They can't all be Honeycrisps.
I would love Hoffman on this team. I think that bs with the Sens was just that...bs. For all we know Grubs might have called his teammates out before he talked to Dater about it. We don't know. Either way he just needs to focus on stopping pucks and his teammates can help by not giving up breakaways every other game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would love Hoffman on this team. I think that bs with the Sens was just that...bs. For all we know Grubs might have called his teammates out before he talked to Dater about it. We don't know. Either way he just needs to focus on stopping pucks and his teammates can help by not giving up breakaways every other game.

Nope. No way, no how do I want that guy anywhere near the Avs. I think there's a pretty wide range of personalities to make a hockey team, so I generally don't hold a player's "character" against him except in extreme cases. Hoffman, both Kanes, and Tony DeAngelo are guys I wouldn't take for free despite their immense talent. IMO they're all rotten to the core. Even excepting that mess in Ottawa, there have been plenty of reports/stories of Hoffman being an awful guy.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
"Sidney-senpai, am I cute? Uguu~" -Nathan MacKinnon, probably

4ef.jpg

Reactions: Crow

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nope. No way, no how do I want that guy anywhere near the Avs. I think there's a pretty wide range of personalities to make a hockey team, so I generally don't hold a player's "character" against him except in extreme cases. Hoffman, both Kanes, and Tony DeAngelo are guys I wouldn't take for free despite their immense talent. IMO they're all rotten to the core. Even excepting that mess in Ottawa, there have been plenty of reports/stories of Hoffman being an awful guy.

Wasn't there something about that all being blown out of proportion?

We have our d bag on the way though apparently.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Friday night games are my favorite. Wish Sid was playing but we need all the help we can get right now so it’s probably for the better lol
Agreed alcool/beer tastes better while you watch the game and you can swallow better that loss when you start getting drunk :sarcasm:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wasn't there something about that all being blown out of proportion?

We have our d bag on the way though apparently.

Again, even if it was, it's been well established in hockey circles that Hoffman is a man-child and very much disliked.

Personally I don't think it was blown out of proportion, but that's just MHO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Again, even if it was, it's been well established in hockey circles that Hoffman is a man-child and very much disliked.

Personally I don't think it was blown out of proportion, but that's just MHO.

Meh, impossible to know. At that level hes not even remotely the only option. We have plenty of shooty shoots now. If it's going to be that type I'd rather it be someone physical anyway.

I just didn't know some people had Hoff on THAT list.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
As a fellow goaler I act the same way, lol.

Same. My biggest pet peeve when playing minor hockey was when a goal was scored against and the defender turns around and stares at you like it's your fault. Despite him standing right in front of you so you can't see shit. Loved that. After dealing with that enough times you get fed up with it and yell at them to get out of the f***ing way. I don't blame goalies who get fed up when people say "just stop some pucks".

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I thought that whole mess with Hoffman and his gf was later found out to be false? Or they were vindicated or something. I didn't follow it close enough but I thought that was the conclusion. Didn't know Tony Deangelo was a POS lol wasn't that the dude that was talking shit after Kadri went 9/11 on Lindgrens face?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I thought that whole mess with Hoffman and his gf was later found out to be false? Or they were vindicated or something. I didn't follow it close enough but I thought that was the conclusion. Didn't know Tony Deangelo was a POS lol wasn't that the dude that was talking **** after Kadri went 9/11 on Lindgrens face?

Had pretty much the same thought. :dunno:

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I don't hace access to the full article but is anyone even surprised he's blaming everyone but himself again? He sounds like such an unlikable guy. Why don't you shut the **** up and stop some pucks?

he's not singling anyone out. its just a goalie tactic to keep confidence up. never blame the goalie.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I can agree to an extent because there are a lot of team defense mistakes, but even if he’s not singling anyone out it’s still not a good look to blame the team and not take any responsibility for not stopping some shots (especially since he’s done it twice now). Plenty of goalies admit that they aren’t playing well at times and Gru seems to be unable to say that and just deflects. If it’s a goalie tactic to keep his confidence up he needs to find a better way than going to the media and throwing his team under the bus.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can agree to an extent because there are a lot of team defense mistakes, but even if he’s not singling anyone out it’s still not a good look to blame the team and not take any responsibility for not stopping some shots (especially since he’s done it twice now). Plenty of goalies admit that they aren’t playing well at times and Gru seems to be unable to say that and just deflects. If it’s a goalie tactic to keep his confidence up he needs to find a better way than going to the media and throwing his team under the bus.

And this is where Dater's shockjock stuff hurts worse... Grubs did continue and talk about it being a team thing, him included. "I think it goes through the whole team, right? We all depend on our teammates. Forwards depend on the defensemen, defensemen depend on the forwards and the whole team depends on the goalie"

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And this is where Dater's shockjock stuff hurts worse... Grubs did continue and talk about it being a team thing, him included. "I think it goes through the whole team, right? We all depend on our teammates. Forwards depend on the defensemen, defensemen depend on the forwards and the whole team depends on the goalie"

Agreed. He's kinda harping on this and it's making the situation look worse than it actually is.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

I’d be inclined to agree and dismiss it because it’s Dater if this hadn’t happened last year during a slump for Grubauer. But it is what it is, the team needs to get through this poor play somehow.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Fully expect a better effort tonight. This team, for whatever reason (youth, experience, leadership) always raises or lowers its play per the opponent. Been this way for seemingly 4-5-6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad