GDT: Game #45: Penguins @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It's not a "dumbing-down" thing. If you've ever had a broadcast gig, you quickly find that if you're on the air, having a small set of repeating catchphrases and statements helps you to be quicker on the microphone when they point to you. Trying to think of something intelligent and cogent on the spur of the moment at the pace that broadcasts go is an exceptionally rare skill, so a "Holy Jumpin'!" or a "pepperoni pizza" serves as a ready-made crutch in a high-pressure, high-paced environment.

IIRC, Tyson had it pretty rough when he first started doing color commentary, and his natural ease with talking and chirping was nowhere to be found. It took him a while to find his groove, and it wasn't until he got his shorthand down that he started to sound at ease.

Lyndsey Fry had the same issues when she started, and she's adopted a couple of shorthand crutches of her own now, but she plays it straight and not the "dressing room jester" that Nash sometimes tries to be.
Yeah, for sure…I think that’s accurate. I wouldn’t really call it dumbing anything down either but I do think good broadcast crews make a conscious effort to bring casual fans a taste of “hockey culture” and also to simplify things for them and help their understanding of the game. Which is a good thing, I wouldn’t really label it as anything negative.

IronFinn

Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
Tyson needs to stop calling players “a tall drink of water”. I don’t think he understands how that phrase is used these days.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Tyson needs to stop calling players “a tall drink of water”. I don’t think he understands how that phrase is used these days.

Just means he is angling for a romantic relationship with the player, right?

"This is a remarkable scene. I wonder who that tall drink of water is." - Josephine Marcus, Tombstone

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
How is it used these days? Back in my day, the dawn of electric cars, it meant tall and skinny.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I have heard others say that AZ has one of the best broadcast teams, but it's always from outsiders. They hear him maybe once a year. It's different for us. When I lived in Minny, I hated the local Wild crew up there too. I still do. I think a lot of fans that watch their home teams with any frequency dislike their crews.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I have heard others say that AZ has one of the best broadcast teams, but it's always from outsiders. They hear him maybe once a year. It's different for us. When I lived in Minny, I hated the local Wild crew up there too. I still do. I think a lot of fans that watch their home teams with any frequency dislike their crews.

According to The Athletic, AZ, formerly 32 of 32, moved up 6 spots in 2023....

The results: The Arizona Coyotes have jumped up six spots in our ranking, with local regard for the broadcast driving their improvement.

The understated style of play-by-play broadcaster Matt McConnell earned particularly solid reviews from Coyotes fans that voted in our poll.

“Matt McConnell does a great job of play-by-play,” wrote one Coyotes fan. “Not too over the top. Just an all-around solid job.”

Color commentator Tyson Nash’s work was a bit more divisive, with reviews ranging from “national treasure” to “cliche machine.”

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
How is it used these days? Back in my day, the dawn of electric cars, it meant tall and skinny.
Mine too, but after a quick google search it now has been changed - probably by someone in a hot region of the country . like ours - to mean "ooh that person is tall and I could drink that person like the cold glass of water i'm craving right now! ooooooooeeee!"

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

The results: The Arizona Coyotes have jumped up six spots in our ranking, with local regard for the broadcast driving their improvement.

The understated style of play-by-play broadcaster Matt McConnell earned particularly solid reviews from Coyotes fans that voted in our poll.

“Matt McConnell does a great job of play-by-play,” wrote one Coyotes fan. “Not too over the top. Just an all-around solid job.”

Color commentator Tyson Nash’s work was a bit more divisive, with reviews ranging from “national treasure” to “cliche machine.”

Pretty accurate.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want to hear the play called, not having two guys talk about getting his nose broken 20 yrs. ago. Stop talking when the game is in play. Talk when the whistle blows, and try to educate the audience like talking about players on both teams, their road to the NHL, the coaches etc. Stop being homers to the point of nausea. I don't think McConnell has the talent to do that, Nash I think does, might require some homework though.

The Athletic? Enough said.

Reactions: lanky

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's not a "dumbing-down" thing. If you've ever had a broadcast gig, you quickly find that if you're on the air, having a small set of repeating catchphrases and statements helps you to be quicker on the microphone when they point to you. Trying to think of something intelligent and cogent on the spur of the moment at the pace that broadcasts go is an exceptionally rare skill, so a "Holy Jumpin'!" or a "pepperoni pizza" serves as a ready-made crutch in a high-pressure, high-paced environment.

IIRC, Tyson had it pretty rough when he first started doing color commentary, and his natural ease with talking and chirping was nowhere to be found. It took him a while to find his groove, and it wasn't until he got his shorthand down that he started to sound at ease.

Lyndsey Fry had the same issues when she started, and she's adopted a couple of shorthand crutches of her own now, but she plays it straight and not the "dressing room jester" that Nash sometimes tries to be.
Forgot she does radio, only time I listen is for a bit after the game, driving home.

I agree, its entertainment to the main mass audience, Nash is fine. 10% of the watchers are hard core like most of us and we want to know the ins and outs, have players called out on both teams, question coaching decisions in game, stuff like that. The main watchers aren't interested in critical thoughts. Nash knows the game well, he could be that guy, but his job as a more cheerful announcer is more important.
Hence the required dumbing down :laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Mine too, but after a quick google search it now has been changed - probably by someone in a hot region of the country . like ours - to mean "ooh that person is tall and I could drink that person like the cold glass of water i'm craving right now! ooooooooeeee!"
Huh. Well then. I'll be thinking that the next time I see Emily VanCamp on TV.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Forgot she does radio, only time I listen is for a bit after the game, driving home.

Hence the required dumbing down :laugh:
I think we should replace Walsh and Jody with Jackie Redmond. Replace Nash with Mike Johnson, or maybe Kevin Weeks. I have no idea who can replace McConnell. Wouldn't take much for an improvement.

Which Canada?:D
You just proved how bad our school system is.;)

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I think we should replace Walsh and Jody with Jackie Redmond. Replace Nash with Mike Johnson, or maybe Kevin Weeks. I have no idea who can replace McConnell. Wouldn't take much for an improvement.
Yes cuz...all those national folks are lining up. Since we are dreaming, let's see if Jeff Marek will replace McConnell :)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd like the post game show to bring back the coach's interview. Tourigny is certainly fluent enough in English to manage this.

Also, sometimes Nash really does talk hockey. He should do more of this, and less fluff. I want more of "He stayed in his lane, was in position to lift the stick and did so just enough to redirect the pass" rather than "The coach isn't going to be happy about that goal!"

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I'd like the post game show to bring back the coach's interview. Tourigny is certainly fluent enough in English to manage this.

Also, sometimes Nash really does talk hockey. He should do more of this, and less fluff. I want more of "He stayed in his lane, was in position to lift the stick and did so just enough to redirect the pass" rather than "The coach isn't going to be happy about that goal!"
I love Tourigny interviews. He provides good info and is not as cliche and vague as some coaches.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

This...he needs to explain "why" the coach won't be happy...because the average hockey fan won't know why and rather than leaving them hanging, just tell them.

Nash has way too many cliche's for me to take him seriously as a broadcaster.

Whoever scores: "that is who you want shooting the puck" - I laugh every time, unless it's LOB, then he says something about getting goals from 4th line, yada, yada, yada

He'd be much easier to take if he and McConnell would stop all the remarks about their personnel interactions about who never pays for a meal, that is literally in every broadcast.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Wasn’t it just yesterday that you made the case of Schmaltz’s actual salary being to rich for AM group?
Now you suggest we somehow lure the impossible with the kind of bucks that would take? Hell, this proposal does nothing for on ice performance, which is the real goal. :huh:

:laugh: A Canadian as well.
Probably why I’ve never heard of her :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad