GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Rangers | 17:30 MT | 01/07/2020 | Mob Edition

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Fair enough, but why did he get a misconduct? At most it should've been 5 and an instigator, and even that I'm a bit iffy on.
Someone posted the rule. I guess instigators come with an automatic misconduct now? He fallowed the guy around and slashed him a bit, but I too felt they dropped at the same time.

Reactions: 1specter

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This is crazy.

Nothing crazy about it. The Avs have the record of a bubble team with Grubs and have been crushing it with Francouz. The stats and eye test all back it up.

The real question is when the masterminds behind the bench see it. I guess its going to take an epic collapse like last year for anything to change.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nothing crazy about it. The Avs have the record of a bubble team with Grubs and have been crushing it with Francouz. The stats and eye test all back it up.

The real question is when the masterminds behind the bench see it. I guess its going to take an epic collapse like last year for anything to change.
I knew it was bad but seeing it like that...wow. Its actually worse than I thought.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As hard as it is to see, this streak is probably a good thing. Team has to be resilient and fight through it, and the front office can get a good look at what the team is lacking to make a move in Feb.

Grubs needs to get his act together though... he can’t have long inconsistent stretches and hold his job. Frank will steal the job if he doesn’t step up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
As hard as it is to see, this streak is probably a good thing. Team has to be resilient and fight through it, and the front office can get a good look at what the team is lacking to make a move in Feb.

Grubs needs to get his act together though... he can’t have long inconsistent stretches and hold his job. Frank will steal the job if he doesn’t step up.
Except that we really aren't fighting through it and we are not resilient in the least. We have to be the only team in the league with no wins when trailing after 2 periods.

I hate to say it, but we are front runners. If we get out to a hot start we are fine. We get behind and we fold quickly. There is no fight back in this team. The second anything goes against us its onto the next game.

Unfortunately this is attitude, we've had it before two years ago we played through anything nothing phased is no lead was too big to overcome. Now it's like one bad call goes against us or we give up a bad goal and it's the end of the world.

This mentality is going to have to change quickly if we want any kind of success this season and moving forward.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Except that we really aren't fighting through it and we are not resilient in the least. We have to be the only team in the league with no wins when trailing after 2 periods.

I hate to say it, but we are front runners. If we get out to a hot start we are fine. We get behind and we fold quickly. There is no fight back in this team. The second anything goes against us its onto the next game.

Unfortunately this is attitude, we've had it before two years ago we played through anything nothing phased is no lead was too big to overcome. Now it's like one bad call goes against us or we give up a bad goal and it's the end of the world.

This mentality is going to have to change quickly if we want any kind of success this season and moving forward.
They have to learn it at some point or they wi never win a Cup with this group. When things are always easy, it makes it hard to cope with adversity when it strikes... and it usually strikes at the worst possible moment. Just look at Tampa last year.... breeze through the first 75 games and only face adversity at the end only to handle it poorly.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Brett Hull used to use the phrase " A Chris Pronger Workout " when describing lackadaisical skating. When I see Zadorov skate I am reminded of the phrase. Tonight Zads missed holding a puck in the offensive zone and was nowhere in sight. The Rangers scored moments later. This phrase was used after Pronger came over in the Shanahan trade and when Pronger was just a pup. I am holding on to hope for Zads but he is already 24.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They have to learn it at some point or they wi never win a Cup with this group. When things are always easy, it makes it hard to cope with adversity when it strikes... and it usually strikes at the worst possible moment. Just look at Tampa last year.... breeze through the first 75 games and only face adversity at the end only to handle it poorly.
Fair, they are just really slow learners, I guess. Not too hard to figure out that you can't underestimate a team and coast around and think you are going to win on skill alone.

Reactions: avspatti

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Every year there is just one or two teams in the NHL who are solid from the start of the season to finish. Last year it was Tampa, this year it's the Blues and maybe the Caps? Other teams all have ups and downs all season long. But I still wish this team was more stable and less predictable. Last game I knew Isles were gonna shut them out before the game even started, tonight when Rangers tied the game at 2, I said 100% Avs lose this. Just too predictable.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
-Burakovsky finally gets a couple of assists for dishes, he made a couple more passes to guys in the slot but they shot it wide. Compher also can't receive a pass at all.
-It seems like whenever they ask Bednar what the team needs to do the only answer is "we need to play harder" "more aggressive." Do we even employ any tactical game plans? Seems like he tries to use brute force to make up for lack of tactics like put the top line back together or play Mackinnon. It's good thing for him that Mackinnon has freak stamina.
-Sucks for Donskoi, but I don't think he's going to be missed. Besides being able to pick up some rebounds and an occasional nice stickhandling move, he wasn't very useful. Should be on the third line.
-Kadri isn't very useful in team play, how can such a shitty playmaker play center.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...for the first time this entire season...I'm f***ing pissed.

This has to be their worst performance of the year. Coming in against a very bad defensive team and a rookie goalie making his NHL debut...and you turn in an effort like THAT!? Inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable. They were all bad tonight...the least-bad one being J.T. Compher. I can't really fault him too much.

Now we will see what kind of character and effort this team has. Adversity has officially hit, and so far they're not dealing with it very well.

I'm relatively confident most of the guys will turn it around, except for one: Erik Johnson. There is something very fundamentally wrong with him and I don't think it's going to right itself. He was a complete and total trainwreck tonight. even moreso than the others. The Avs have a decision to make because right now they have two very good and skilled defenders and then they have four third pairing guys. Either ride this for the remainder of the season and hope for the best, or see what's out there and make a trade for, at the very least, a viable middle-pairing guy.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Finished watching the game on tape delay, and all I can say is wow. That was pathetic. Everything has already been summarized quite well, but if I see that Landy "power" move along the goal line ever again, I'm going to puke. That f***ing shit hasn't worked since 2012. Maybe Landy should figure his f***ing game out and stop taking tips from Jost on "power" moves to the net.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Whoopdy Doo, can't rely on getting calls too win games. They missed it, or choose not to call it, but big deal it happens 5-10 times a game. Give a better effort and it's a non issue because we won't need a call at the end of the game.

k

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The best 10 seconds of this game was Ian Cole skating backwards with the puck from the red line to his own goal line, hitting a Rangers player with a pass, turning it over again a second later, getting beat on the wall, and then flopping to draw a penalty. Veteran move to get out of a mess you created.

Grubauer just straight up has to be better. There's no consistency from him night to night.

The defense is all over the place. Z and EJ need to be better. The shine is coming off Graves, IMO, mostly because Makar isn't playing out of this world to carry him. Girard has generally turned it around but it's crazy how much they depend on a rookie defender.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Brett Hull used to use the phrase " A Chris Pronger Workout " when describing lackadaisical skating. When I see Zadorov skate I am reminded of the phrase. Tonight Zads missed holding a puck in the offensive zone and was nowhere in sight. The Rangers scored moments later. This phrase was used after Pronger came over in the Shanahan trade and when Pronger was just a pup. I am holding on to hope for Zads but he is already 24.
You were a tire fire out there tonight.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Don't worry guys we play Detroit on the 20th
We'll probably lose like 7-1, because we won't put any effort into the game. Because we'll think we have too much talent and we'll coast by on that and we'll get run out of the building. Seems to be how this team operates especially against teams we should beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad