GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Canes | Tuesday, January 13, 5pm MT | Choose Your Scapegoat

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think in general there are a lot more breakdowns and a lot better scoring chances in the AHL. Goalies stats usually aren't the greatest.

member 116861

Which is very scary, given the amount of whinging people do wanting the Monsters defensemen called up to play with the Avs.

Hey, Erik Johnson plays on the Avs defense but that doesn't make him a bad defenseman. A team can have a bad defense but still have a good player or 2 on it.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Hey, Erik Johnson plays on the Avs defense but that doesn't make him a bad defenseman. A team can have a bad defense but still have a good player or 2 on it.

True. But if the LEM defense is worse against AHL offenses than the Avs defense is against NHL offenses, then how would even the best of the LEM defenders do against the Hawks or similar? Would they really do better than what we have now? Yes, I think some would...due to better coaching, mainly. But over the course of this year, pretty much every LEM Dman has had their name called on this forum as the one that should replace Holden/Guenin/Stuart/Redmond. They cannot all be the good ones if the defense is that bad down there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Terrible game but a few positives to take are Duchene and Mackinnon looking good. The Landy-ROR-Mack line had some amazing shifts in the 3rd.

Also, I have no trouble with Mack doing his shootout move over and over as long as he avoids the poke check. Yes goalies assume it's coming but they cant cheat on it at all since they know Mackinnon's hands are quick enough to pull it to the backhand if they do cheat. That stickhandling at that angle is leathal. Just hope he knows to pull back hand if they cheat. He has scored on goalies who knew it was coming in the past. He just waits for them to make the first move dropping the shoulder and he pulls the trigger.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One more thing. Really wish Sekera was leaving Carolina on the Avs plane. Man he would look good next to EJ.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think in general there are a lot more breakdowns and a lot better scoring chances in the AHL. Goalies stats usually aren't the greatest.

Its not stats. I agree, I'm coming to really understand the AHL is a tough league, I expect everyone to get beat up a bit mentally, physically and statistically. Pickard has really taken the starter's role down there well and he deserves it, I just want to see him dictate games more often. He can't let in early goals or softies, he has to be better than that. They don't have the offense to overcome it. He's still developing and their D certainly makes mistakes, he's not going to hold them to 2 GA every night but I want him to be that rock more often. I think he needs to take that next step to become a legit NHL goalie.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh yeah, I made this for last game but forgot to post it

x8GAiUB.jpg

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Ugly, pretty boring game live. Not much urgency or intensity from either side, save for a few shifts. My 4th game at PNC and that was the tiniest NHL crowd I've ever been a part of.

Duchene got a jump in his step when he was bumped up to Tanguay and Iginla. Roy eventually getting that first Duchene line away from Eric Staal helped stop the early bleeding. The Landeskog-O'Reilly-Mackinnon line also had its moments. O'Reilly played very well.

Two of the more frustrating things watching the Avs are: 1. Our defensive zone coverage. We refuse to double team the puck or puck carrier and therefore basically forfeit the perimeter and only regain possession when a mistake is made; 2. The forecheck. Someone else pointed out this the other day, but the defense are making many low-percentage pinches and the third forward is over compensating by staying extra high to prevent odd man situations. The pinches are predictable and the vacated space often prevents us from maintaining pressure.
omg
Roy and Sakic and all must see the stuff thats obvious.. so whats the answer? I still think we are one good trade away from being a great team, but on nights where we play sucky... ??? oh well...
Lando needs to step up, and Madmac needs to learn how to play hockey... omg he is terrible at team play

AVS1819

Apr 4, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Heh he reads this forum so there's a chance he will see that.

100 more NHL games than any of us will play! Seriously, he's had his bad moments but he's had some very good moments too. Even last night, that pinch where he got to the slot and I think it was Tanguay hit him with a pass was perfectly timed. I don't understand why so much hate....

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Oh no, I really hope not. Nobody needs to read the things that people say here about him. That makes me feel bad :(

And if he doesn't see it I'm sure his family members or friends might.

It sucks but it's consequences of the digital age we live. I try my best to watch what I say but sometimes it's too easy to just be able to type whatever comes to your mind without thinking.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

It sucks but it's consequences of the digital age we live. I try my best to watch what I say but sometimes it's too easy to just be able to type whatever comes to your mind without thinking.

Why would they come to a message board to see what anonymous people on the internet have to say about their boy? I imagine that could be pretty discouraging.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I don't think anyone has made fun of him beyond him being a bad NHL player. That's fair game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hi Nick! Don't listen to the haters! BTW Can you get me some tickets? :naughty:

Chau is right though, people would be surprised how many hockey players/people read this site. I've gotten myself in trouble with people a time or two for posting somethings.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
There really aren't too many places to read about the Avalanche. The first place you might find is MHH and from there it's not too hard to stumble upon this forum.

And like henchman said, you'd be surprised at who lurks these forums.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I don't think anyone has made fun of him beyond him being a bad NHL player. That's fair game.

I absolutely agree. Everything is fair game. I'm sure everyone who has some sort of celebrity status to their name understands that and have grown a thick skin to prevent it from affecting them too much.

At the same time, it's not always a bad thing to be respectful in the way you say things especially when it comes to criticism.

I'm not directing this at you or anyone else by the way so I hope you don't think I am. I'm just speaking in general terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad