GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Canes | Tuesday, January 13, 5pm MT | Choose Your Scapegoat

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I agree top 6 scoring has been the primary problem. But you don't frame it that way by combining 3 players' +/-. I can cherry pick 3 more and make it look worse. 8 goals isn't THAT bad either, Crosby has 12. It's just a stupid way to say it. They have to be better and that's a fair point but just don't pick out two stats and try to sound intelligent.

Guenin is second on the team with a +4 :laugh:

The unsung hero of our defense. He doesn't score points either. So IMAGINE how good he must be defensively to have that +/-.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Landeskog has one goal in his last 20 games.

During that time he has put 60 shots on net, in 20 games. Only one has snuck in.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
elbtib.jpg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landeskog has one goal in his last 20 games.

During that time he has put 60 shots on net, in 20 games. Only one has snuck in.

He hasn't played bad and the SOG are nice but one goal in 20 games isn't good no matter how you put it. I wouldn't say he's just snake bitten either because a lot of those are low percentage shots.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He hasn't played bad and the SOG are nice but one goal in 20 games isn't good no matter how you put it. I wouldn't say he's just snake bitten either because a lot of those are low percentage shots.

Yeah, like that 3 on 2 rush in the 2nd period he had with MacK driving the net hard. He just flipped it at the goaltender in a pass-like fashion. He takes low quality shots, and for a guy who doesn't exactly have a hard shot, he shouldn't be shooting as much as he does. He needs to be getting the puck to other players and driving the net. Right now, Landeskog stays on the perimeter far too much

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Rycoft is hinting that teams may come calling Sakic to get Pickard. Says that P. is NHL ready now. Thoughts?

I think it was mostly Rycroft bragging about him. No team is going to trade for a 22 year old goalie with 15 games and hand him the keys.

Pickard should be in the AHL and if Berra wasn't such a Berra, he would be.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rycoft is hinting that teams may come calling Sakic to get Pickard. Says that P. is NHL ready now. Thoughts?

No way. I love me some Picks. I love what he does out there on the ice, his fire and competitive spirit. But he hasn't been consistent in the AHL. He was pulled 5 days ago after giving up two early softies. But hey, if the Avs can sucker someone into thinking he can be their solution right now then more power to them and I'd be thrilled for Picks. I think he can be a NHL goalie but he needs time, he really does. I love it when he's here, the team seems to get fired up by him and rally around him, maybe that helps him too. Avs should just be content having him as an asset, maybe they can move him down the line.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Goalies are never really worth that much.

So they can come calling, but unless the Avs are completely blown away with an offer, I can't see them moving him.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Part of Patty's post game comments "I don't think I'm going to rewatch that game cause I'll be afraid we going to lose that point" :laugh:

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ugly, pretty boring game live. Not much urgency or intensity from either side, save for a few shifts. My 4th game at PNC and that was the tiniest NHL crowd I've ever been a part of.

Duchene got a jump in his step when he was bumped up to Tanguay and Iginla. Roy eventually getting that first Duchene line away from Eric Staal helped stop the early bleeding. The Landeskog-O'Reilly-Mackinnon line also had its moments. O'Reilly played very well.

Two of the more frustrating things watching the Avs are: 1. Our defensive zone coverage. We refuse to double team the puck or puck carrier and therefore basically forfeit the perimeter and only regain possession when a mistake is made; 2. The forecheck. Someone else pointed out this the other day, but the defense are making many low-percentage pinches and the third forward is over compensating by staying extra high to prevent odd man situations. The pinches are predictable and the vacated space often prevents us from maintaining pressure.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Part of Patty's post game comments "I don't think I'm going to rewatch that game cause I'll be afraid we going to lose that point" :laugh:

Haha, haven't had a Patty gem in a while. That one qualifies. :laugh:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Didn't watch the game, but we seriously got shelled for 46 shots by the Hurricanes? Gotta feel for Pickard.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Didn't watch the game, but we seriously got shelled for 46 shots by the Hurricanes? Gotta feel for Pickard.

The way Avs have been playing in the defensive zone, it's almost as if they are daring the opposition to take a lot of shots.

They don't do anything to break up the cycle along the boards. They don't put a lot of pressure on the defenders at the blue line. The shifts where Avs get pinned in their own zone happen more often and Avs are terrible at breaking out so the few times Avs get the puck, more often than not it's back in Avs zone within ten seconds.

It's good for goalie heroics but not good for winning games in the NHL.

If Roy has tweaked the system, it's for the worse. If it's the players just being bad at hockey, he's done nothing to prevent what's happening. He's playing as slow and unskilled defense as he possibly can.

I wouldn't mind if Holden, Guenin and Cliche were waived tomorrow and Elliott/Noreau, Redmond and Everberg took their spots. Talbot can be the fourth line center or possibly Street. If by some miracle any of those three were claimed off waivers that would be a bonus.

We need to get rid of the slugs that are slow in feet, brain and hands. Roy hasn't show any willingness to do that and it's going to hold back the team until he does.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So, is Pickard legitimately becoming a star NHL goalie in the league, or is there some truth to the fact that; despite the Avs giving up a lot of shots on a nightly basis, we do a very good job at making a lot of those shots very weak low percentage shots, and that our Team Defense is not actually as bad as the stats say?

Personally I think its the latter. People could question it when it was just Varlamov who continued to have these crazy games where he'd stop 45/47 shots in a 3-2 win, or 54/54 in a 2-0 Win, etc. But now we've got a Rookie goalie doing the exact same thing as Varlamov on this team, and he's done it for 15 games now.

I didn't watch tonights game, but I bet if we had a look at the shot chart, it would show that a very high percentage of the Canes shots were from poor areas and were low % shots.

I'm not degrading Pickard in saying all of this, more so that I dont necessarily think its that bad of a thing that the Avs are continuously giving up 40+ shots a night and getting out-shot like we are. I think our Defense is doing a very good job at only giving the other teams poor shooting opportunities, and other teams are taking those shots.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I would have to say Pickard made at least 5 game savers tonight. He played very well and stole us a point.

The Avs really only played for 30 minutes tonight.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm not degrading Pickard in saying all of this, more so that I dont necessarily think its that bad of a thing that the Avs are continuously giving up 40+ shots a night and getting out-shot like we are. I think our Defense is doing a very good job at only giving the other teams poor shooting opportunities, and other teams are taking those shots.
There is absolutely no way you can say that giving up 40+ shots a game is anything other than horrible. And to a terrible team like the Hurricanes, no less. If a team is taking that money shots, it shows the Avs very rarely have the puck.

The Avs have given up 216 shots in the last 5 games. That's disgusting, and three of those games were against teams below them in the standings.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would have to say Pickard made at least 5 game savers tonight. He played very well and stole us a point.

The Avs really only played for 30 minutes tonight.

I didn't watch tonights game so maybe I was wrong and he actually did stand on his head.

But, I did watch the Sens game, and the Chicago game last week, and I thought in both games the Avs actually played very well despite being heavily out-shot, especially against CHI.

In both games Varlamov really didn't have to make any huge saves for the team. He had to make a couple for sure, but every goalie generally makes a couple big saves every game. Other then that I thought he faced a lot of pretty easy straightforward shots in both games and especially the Chicago game.

It's obviously better for the team if we had more possession and played in the other teams zone more often than we are, but I do think that we're doing a pretty good job in our own end right now.

I mean,We've only given up 3+ goals in 7 of our last 17 games, and 5 of those 7 games we gave up exactly 3.

36 goals against in our last 17 games. Barely over 2GAA. That's on both our Defense and our Goaltending IMO. I think they've both played well this past month, the goalies are doing a good job making those initial saves(And the rebounds when necessary), and the Defense is doing a good job at making those saves easy saves.

I think its our offense(Seems to have been the story all season) that is struggling right now, as evidenced by our last 2 games. 4 regulation goals against in 2 games, and we have 1 point to show for it. That's simply not good enough for the forwards.

There is absolutely no way you can say that giving up 40+ shots a game is anything other than horrible. And to a terrible team like the Hurricanes, no less. If a team is taking that money shots, it shows the Avs very rarely have the puck.

The Avs have given up 216 shots in the last 5 games. That's disgusting, and three of those games were against teams below them in the standings.

Its horrible in the sense that it basically signals that the opposition is in our zone with puck possession a lot more then we're in their zone.

But I dont think the actualy shot totals are that big of a deal. The big deal is our teams struggles to regain possession and move the puck out of our zone. But the Defense is doing a good job at making these shots poor shot attempts. We've got to do a better job at tracking the puck, stealing the puck, and moving the puck out of our zone efficiently, that's the real issue that arises when we give up that many shots. We're in our zone too much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
PH, I agree with you to an extent. There is too much focus on shots and if other metrics were actually publicly available like scoring chances and actual time of possession we could have a better way of sorting out this quality of shots debate. The Avs will never be a team that pleases the stat crusaders, they have a philosophy of allowing outside shots that the goalie can see and a quality over quantity philosophy on the offensive end. To the extent of where they have been recently, no the discrepancy is too wide. They had been limiting teams better and if the scoring came around it's a balance that I believe is workable.

The Pickard thing is a whole mystery in itself. If the quality of the goalie wasn't a thing then Berra would have found more success. I have no idea what it is that puts Pickard on another level when he play for the Avs because I swear to god that guy doesn't really show up in the AHL (though I will say he was pretty good on Saturday). He's been here 4x now I don't know that you can call it adrenalin anymore. I really have no idea. Maybe the Monsters are that much worse comparatively than the Avs.

Pickard stole the point tonight in that he gave the Avs a chance to win. He made a few very nice saves. But it wasn't like one of those nights when you think Varly is going to expire right in the crease because 30 shots look like point blank from the slot and they all look like they could have gone in.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
PH, I agree with you to an extent. There is too much focus on shots and if other metrics were actually publicly available like scoring chances and actual time of possession we could have a better way of sorting out this quality of shots debate. The Avs will never be a team that pleases the stat crusaders, they have a philosophy of allowing outside shots that the goalie can see and a quality over quantity philosophy on the offensive end. To the extent of where they have been recently, no the discrepancy is too wide. They had been limiting teams better and if the scoring came around it's a balance that I believe is workable.

The Pickard thing is a whole mystery in itself. If the quality of the goalie wasn't a thing then Berra would have found more success. I have no idea what it is that puts Pickard on another level when he play for the Avs because I swear to god that guy doesn't really show up in the AHL (though I will say he was pretty good on Saturday). He's been here 4x now I don't know that you can call it adrenalin anymore. I really have no idea. Maybe the Monsters are that much worse comparatively than the Avs.

Pickard stole the point tonight in that he gave the Avs a chance to win. He made a few very nice saves. But it wasn't like one of those nights when you think Varly is going to expire right in the crease because 30 shots look like point blank from the slot and they all look like they could have gone in.

I don't understand that philosophy. Outside shots or not, if you're getting out shot every game, you're getting outplayed every game, the momentum goes to the team that has the puck more and the other team has more offensive pressure.

Good luck winning anything with that mentality. Oh yeah, that's fine, lets allow all those shots because we have Varly and we feel like those shots aren't dangerous shots.

No wonder every team can pin the Avs in d zone with ease and dominate them. Avs rely on quick strike offense and that's their main weapon which needs to change dramatically if this team ever gonna make it back to the playoffs and win a round in the playoffs.

Edit: The Avs haven't had any stability in their play/system in a long time and they need to establish some stability soon.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Maybe the Monsters are that much worse comparatively than the Avs.

Which is very scary, given the amount of whinging people do wanting the Monsters defensemen called up to play with the Avs.

I think it is still a case of adrenaline to some extent. And drive to prove he belongs. The way he was managed up until this year left some doubt about how the Avs felt about him and his development, and as soon as they gave him a chance, he has shined. Plus is is still a small enough sample size to quickly correct if he really is playing beyond his ability. I think he has the ability, and belongs with the big club. Not sure how he would do being a starter at this level...but I can see him getting there for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad