Post-Game Talk: GAME #43: Canucks def. Senators - 4-3 - OT (Baertschi, Pettersson x 3)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Can he hit 40 this season?
Barring injury, I'd be a little surprised if he didn't hit 40 goals, 85 points this year. Next year 50-100 is not unreasonable.

I actually think one more legit top 6 player and we are doing well. It's ok to have the likes of Baertschi and Leivo hanging around the top lines so long as you have two studs on each line. Horvat just needs a running partner now, and then Sutter, Virtanen and maybe Gaudette can anchor the third line, with Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson on the fourth.

And then, the defense...

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Barring injury, I'd be a little surprised if he didn't hit 40 goals, 85 points this year. Next year 50-100 is not unreasonable.

I actually think one more legit top 6 player and we are doing well. It's ok to have the likes of Baertschi and Leivo hanging around the top lines so long as you have two studs on each line. Horvat just needs a running partner now, and then Sutter, Virtanen and maybe Gaudette can anchor the third line, with Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson on the fourth.

And then, the defense...

Ya... that defense.... :help:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
With his shot, I think it is sustainable.

He does need to shoot more though. He's only averaging 2 shots a game whereas star players usually average 3.5 per game. To that, his shooting % will eventually go down, but I think he'll score more as a result of taking more shots.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pettersson is currently shooting at a 27.85% clip.

He might have the best shot in the league. Correction he DOES have the best shot in the league. Why? Because he has a devasting slap shot off the rush, an unbelievable one timer and a fantastic wrist shot. He’s not just a one trick pony with his shot.

But wait there’s more! He also knows exactly what shot to use in every situation. I’m sure the percentage will drop but I doubt it moves south of 20%.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He does need to shoot more though. He's only averaging 2 shots a game whereas star players usually average 3.5 per game. To that, his shooting % will eventually go down, but I think he'll score more as a result of taking more shots.

Yeah I was mostly being sarcastic - it'll obviously regress but he will still score a ton.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He misses the net quite a lot, those don’t go on the shot stats sheet

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Listening to Green's comments, he really liked Schaller's game so likely won't see Goldy next game.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think if Pettersson switches teams we easily lose this game. That's how important he was to the Canucks tonight

Good

Pettersson - is it possible he is getting better???

Edler - good both offensively and defensively. Not sure this isn't the best he has looked in his career. Again a contract year so....

Tanev - outside of couple of passes up the middle was again important in his end and packing the puck out of his end

Virtanen - much smarter and better with the puck. Played sound game defensively and moved the puck well.

Gudbranson - skating better, providing a good option for passes out of his zone and a much needed physical presence. Really little to criticize if he plays like this.

Markstrom - game was one sided at times but he had to make a number of critical saves. Some real sloppy play in the neutral ice created a number of odd man rushes and breakaways that Markstrom had to very strong on.

Horvat - line created pressure and I thought he moved the well. Not getting much support from linemates.

Weak

Hutton - got beat in the neutral zone too much and slow in moving the puck. Coverage in his end was bad at times and he did a poor job at the point on the PP when given an opportunity. Hasn't had much jump lately.

Beagle - his job is basically to win key faceoffs and play good defense to preserve leads. Didn't do either and, in fact, got chasing in his end leaving check wide open.

Others

Boeser - should have scored and got deservedly yanked off PP for poor passing and shot selection. But made up for this somewhat with some excellent passing. Thought he was skating better.

Pouliot - poor on the second goal against. But overall better and he did make some very good stretch passes from his zone. If he could ever gain a step or two... or maybe three.. might be adequate. Canucks are surely giving him every opportunity.

Schaller - lots of banging and crashing and he certainly was giving it what he has. Better than usual

Levio - strong start to the game but seemed to maybe take a shot to the head????

Baertschi - got to the net for a goal but I again saw little. He doesn't have the speed or the finesse to beat people one on one and his shot is mediocre. I don't see long term upside and we all know he is one solid head shot away from oblivion. Would be concerned that they move ahead with Baertschi instead of Goldobin. In the short term Baertschi might provide a little more but I very much doubt he has Goldobin's skill or long term potential. If they can make a good trade for Goldobin then go ahead but I see the potential for some real short term thinking ending up biting the team in the ass.

Watching Ottawa playing tonight made me totally jealous of where Colorado is sitting. Also anyone mentioning Tkachuk in the same sentence as Pettersson needs to get off crack.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Listening to Green's comments, he really liked Schaller's game so likely won't see Goldy next game.

sounds like Leivo might be out with a concussion, should probably sit out next game at least. Goldy might be in depending on how Sutter feels.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
He might have the best shot in the league. Correction he DOES have the best shot in the league. Why? Because he has a devasting slap shot off the rush, an unbelievable one timer and a fantastic wrist shot. He’s not just a one trick pony with his shot.

But wait there’s more! He also knows exactly what shot to use in every situation. I’m sure the percentage will drop but I doubt it moves south of 20%.

It almost certainly will fall south of 20 and that’s fine. Since expansion, five players that have played at least 250 games in their career have shooting percentages at or above 20 percent.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
"You talk about a guy coming back to a lineup and making a bit of a statement saying 'I'm here to stay in the lineup.' I think he did that... he was a committed hockey player today." - Green on Schaller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad