Post-Game Talk: GAME #43: Canucks def. Senators - 4-3 - OT (Baertschi, Pettersson x 3)

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
"You talk about a guy coming back to a lineup and making a bit of a statement saying 'I'm here to stay in the lineup.' I think he did that... he was a committed hockey player today." - Green on Schaller
I don't know what Green was watching.I was to buesy watching a rookie carry this team to victory again..If Green is praising Schaller some one slipped him something into his Gatorade..All I seen was Shcallers face being used as a punching bag.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another sloppy effort by the Canucks....could easily have surrendered another two shorthanded goals if not for Markstrom....and what's with Horvat? Is he playing hurt?

They'll get buried if they're not a lot better tomorrow night in Montreal and especially Saturday against the snarly Leafs. Schaller tried, and got into a scrap. But really. If anybody but the coach really believes this team is better swapping out Schaller for Goldy, then they must be really keen on teaching Goldy some sort of lesson.

But if Leivo is out for any length of time, than I guess there's room for Sutter to return. Pushes both Schaller and Goldy down the depth chart though.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So this was a very fun game to attend. The Canucks have played a number of snoozers here in the decade-plus I’ve lived here, but this wasn’t one of them.

When Pettersson scored his second, I said to my pal, “I don’t want to jinx it, but he has 15 minutes to get a third.”

When he did it, we had the same thought as @kanuck87 – it all made sense now. Blowing the lead was perfect!

There were plenty of hats on the ice at a game in Eastern Ontario. Awesome.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just saw the highlight package. I picked a bad game to miss.

Honestly, Pettersson will be in the conversation for 2nd best player in the NHL by the end of next season, if not sooner. He is almost the perfect hockey player, the only thing he’s missing is a dominating physical game.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson is generational. The only reason anyone is refuting this is because he wasn't selected 1st overall. His production is absolutely insane for a rookie.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I jumped up and screamed Yeeaaaahhhhh! Scared the s#@t out of my 3 month daughter lol
My son was 6 months old when we were slaying the dragon and running to the final....
I thought I must of given him some sort of baby PTSD/anxiety disorder for the number scream scares I gave him that spring..

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Another sloppy effort by the Canucks....could easily have surrendered another two shorthanded goals if not for Markstrom....and what's with Horvat? Is he playing hurt?

They'll get buried if they're not a lot better tomorrow night in Montreal and especially Saturday against the snarly Leafs. Schaller tried, and got into a scrap. But really. If anybody but the coach really believes this team is better swapping out Schaller for Goldy, then they must be really keen on teaching Goldy some sort of lesson.

But if Leivo is out for any length of time, than I guess there's room for Sutter to return. Pushes both Schaller and Goldy down the depth chart though.
Did you watch the game?
Sloppy third period yes, but the effort through the first 40 was outstanding, could have easily scored 5 goals with all the posts we hit

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

No idea what game you were watching.?..The first two periods were about as dominant a Canuck team has been in quite some time..If not for Hogberg (and 2 crossbars, and 2 posts),we would've have blown them out in the 1st period.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
exciting game....was soothing to my soul after being at the Finland loss

Pettersson is absolutely on another level. 9 shot attempts 3 takeaways is playing with an edge and setting people up all over the place. Just keeps raising the bar and now is tied for the league lead in game winning goals......incredible stuff

Boeser 11 shot attempts. couple assists a post and was dangerous all night. Looked great against the paltry Senator defense

Virtanen didnt hit the score sheet but certainly had a positive effect and was unlucky not to score 1 or 2. Give and goes were nice to watch as he seems to be getting that he can gain steps with such a play and 9 shot attempts

Roussel Gudbranson Edler Baertschi were all really good.

Markstrom Tanev Horvat had both good and bad moments but generally were positive influences...Horvat could use Sutter back to lessen his load and rejuvinate his play

The rest were all in the mix and grinding it out. Pouliot loses his check and pretty much single handedly causes another goal against. I can see what Green liked in Schallers effort but he is still painful to watch with the puck on his stick 5 hits a fight and a couple shots will endear him for a couple games or so and Granlund was the low man in 5v5 icetime which should make some people happy. Too bad about Leivo he was one of the best players in NJ

The Senators are a mess so i wouldn't get too excited about things but 86 to 59 shot attempts is pretty dominating and good to see. Pettersson is just so fun to watch

Reactions: Grantham

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
0KpR1m7.jpg

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I feel like if we make the playoffs this year, it will be solely because Pettersson and Markstrom put this team on their backs and carried it all the way to the post season. Really liking what Boeser is bringing stats-wise considering he was recovering from various injuries for quarter of the season, too.

Did not predict this at the beginning of the season... WHO DID??

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
[QUOTE="GoodBetterBoest, post: 154469809, member: 68456" He is almost the perfect hockey player, the only thing he’s missing is a dominating physical game”.[/QUOTE]

So did Gretz and Sedins, Lidstrom.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Pettersson - is it possible he is getting better???

Yes... this is what he does. The first half of the season was his figuring the NHL out phase, trying things, learning what he could and couldn't do... how to exploit systems/tendencies etc. Add to that the fact that he had to get used to travel, NHL fitness demands and the leagues worse schedule... it was a lot to absorb.

BUT... he did, and led all rookies in scoring.

Now he's got it dialed in. Best shape of his life, stronger than he's ever been, never had another shooting threat on his wing like Boeser to play goalies off with. He's not shying away from contact, he's using it to motivate him... + the Canucks schedule gets easier, less road games, less travel, more breaks between games. He's getting better and the schedule is getting easier.

This kid could hit 50 goals this year, I'm F'n serious.

Here's the scary thing... anyone else been watching Quinn Hughes setting up his USA teammates only to watch Madden and others consistently blow their chances (to be fair to Madden he's been great so far, just not when Hughes is passing to him on the doorstep for sure goals). Now imagine Hughes setting up Boeser and Pettersson with those same chances.

Goalies are going to be begging to be pulled... it's going to be insane.

Every Canuck fan out there should be buying the biggest, comfiest chair/couch they can find and get it equipped with a seatbelt because this next 5-10 years is going to be a helluva ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad