Post-Game Talk: GAME #43: Canucks def. Senators - 4-3 - OT (Baertschi, Pettersson x 3)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes... this is what he does. The first half of the season was his figuring the NHL out phase, trying things, learning what he could and couldn't do... how to exploit systems/tendencies etc. Add to that the fact that he had to get used to travel, NHL fitness demands and the leagues worse schedule... it was a lot to absorb.

BUT... he did, and led all rookies in scoring.

Now he's got it dialed in. Best shape of his life, stronger than he's ever been, never had another shooting threat on his wing like Boeser to play goalies off with. He's not shying away from contact, he's using it to motivate him... + the Canucks schedule gets easier, less road games, less travel, more breaks between games. He's getting better and the schedule is getting easier.

This kid could hit 50 goals this year, I'm F'n serious.

Here's the scary thing... anyone else been watching Quinn Hughes setting up his USA teammates only to watch Madden and others consistently blow their chances (to be fair to Madden he's been great so far, just not when Hughes is passing to him on the doorstep for sure goals). Now imagine Hughes setting up Boeser and Pettersson with those same chances.

Goalies are going to be begging to be pulled... it's going to be insane.

Every Canuck fan out there should be buying the biggest, comfiest chair/couch they can find and get it equipped with a seatbelt because this next 5-10 years is going to be a helluva ride

I was just wondering what 3 on 3 OT will look like next season with Pettersson-Hughes-Boeser/Horvat...:thumbu:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
My sleep pattern is what I like to call "dynamic" and I stayed up 24 hours to watch this game, only to find out everyone else in the household wanted to watch the Canada game so I went to sleep. Are there any specific clips I should look up on NHL.com outside of the highlights? Hits or plays that led to shots that I can quick find or whatever?

People that don't think Boeser is talented don't really know how to watch hockey. Boeser's hockey sense is what allows him to be an elite player. He always is in the right position to make a play, whether it's shooting or passing.

He somehow finds himself wide open with all the time in the world to take a shot or make a play. It doesn't look flashy, but there is a reason he manages to find space that nobody else does.

God damn I just wish he would learn how to skate.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddyohsix

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
God damn I just wish he would learn how to skate.

Couldn't train in the offseason to do that because of the back injury. I'm certain both he and Pettersson will focus on edges/bursts and stride o=in the offseason. They should both train with Horvats power skating coach. Not worried about Brock or Elias in regard to becoming solid -> great NHL skaters.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Couldn't train in the offseason to do that because of the back injury. I'm certain both he and Pettersson will focus on edges/bursts and stride o=in the offseason. They should both train with Horvats power skating coach. Not worried about Brock or Elias in regard to becoming solid -> great NHL skaters.

I think Pettersson is already a pretty good skater, but I guess he needs something to work on!

I agree that Brock will improve. I was posting in the Horvat thread about inefficient skating vs genetic potential, and while Brock may never be able to improve like Horvat did as few will, he oozes character and I'm certain he can improve a little bit. Brock has an insane hockey IQ on the offensive side of the puck and manages to find himself all alone in a shooting position when he can't even skate. A Boeser that can actually skate is a very scary player. If, somehow he had untapped potential like Horvat did, oh boy. That's like saying if Tanev had the untapped potential to improve his shot like Kesler or Pettersson though, that level of improvement is pretty rare.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It almost certainly will fall south of 20 and that’s fine. Since expansion, five players that have played at least 250 games in their career have shooting percentages at or above 20 percent.

Talking this season. I don’t think it will go south that much. At some point in his career it likely will but it’ll be around the 20% mark and the highest in the league over an extended period of time.

While it’s rare to see someone with a huge shooting percentage it’s also rare to see the same player possess a multitude of different shots/ability in different shooting situations that is the leagues best ore within the the top handful for each of those situations. And then also combines those things with unbelievable IQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I do think it will fall, but I think he'll take more shots as well. Opposing teams are collapsing on him pretty hard, obviously, so the team is generally playing catch until he can find a real good shooting lane. When his linemates improve I think he'll have more okay-but-not-great shot opportunities which will result in lower % but obviously balanced somewhat by higher shot totals. Someone mentioned other elite scorers getting 3.5 shots/game while Pettersson is getting 2. A 15% shooting % at 3.5 shots per game should be equal to 25% shooting % at 2 shots per game if my math is correct. 18% at 3 shots per game is equal to 27%.

So while his % will likely fall he may very well score just as much. Or he may just be extremely selective with his shots and keep a high %, who knows.

Pettersson is generational. The only reason anyone is refuting this is because he wasn't selected 1st overall. His production is absolutely insane for a rookie.

I still remember an argument I had here earlier in the season with a poster claiming Pettersson can not be a generational player because he was not picked 1st overall. I forget who it was, IIRC it was a pretty decent poster on this board, but I didn't buy it at all. He may or may not keep improving, he may or may not be generational, but he really has no ceiling right now and it's exciting to have a player that we can actually consider a potential generational player.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
If you guys want to have some fun/irritation, read the Pettersson threads on the main boards. No shortage of condescending fools who cite his shot percentage as an anomaly and thus implying that he's just been egregiously lucky so far. Cause as we all know, one timers to the top corner are all about luck.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Boeser and Petey have such excellent chemistry. A dream duo....I've got hardly any words left to describe it.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
If you guys want to have some fun/irritation, read the Pettersson threads on the main boards. No shortage of condescending fools who cite his shot percentage as an anomaly and thus implying that he's just been egregiously lucky so far. Cause as we all know, one timers to the top corner are all about luck.

Yeah just count the amount of top corner goals (I mean the very top corner) so far. That’s absolutely insane.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Please feel free to show us why you claim that TL16 does't "like" EP....

You don’t have to “ “ the word like, as if I didn’t say it. I was making a reference to the fact that EP40 makes the Canucks a borderline playoff team whereas TL16 wanted a full rebuild to last longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->