GDT: Game #42 | Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D / NBCSN

DatsyukianDeke*

Do you guys think if we get in, playing this style of Hockey will prepare us better for the playoffs ? I mean Z said it in one of his interviews, that usually the Wings are in by now and they don't try as hard at the end maybe meaning when they get to the playoffs it doesn't transition over ? Just a a thought.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
How many goals does Zetterberg have in his last 9 games? Entire top 6 is slumping...

But I see something in Abdelkader. He's actually been impressive with Franzen.

At least when Abby dumps the puck in he is fast enough to chase it down. The frustrating guy is Cleary, he dumps the puck and then he's slow it's just a giveaway. I think Daniel is living in the past

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
For being a slower team on the backend, I don't know why they allow so much space for the counter-attack. All those huge stretch passes going back to game 1 against St. Louis...poor spacing and complete unawareness of where guys are on the ice.

Offensively, I think the old girl still has it. Nyquist continues to show why he belongs...good wheels and strong on the puck. If they can score goals and Howard plays well...anything can happen. The defense won't shut anyone down...Howard is the best defender on this team by far.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For being a slower team on the backend, I don't know why they allow so much space for the counter-attack. All those huge stretch passes going back to game 1 against St. Louis...poor spacing and complete unawareness of where guys are on the ice.

Offensively, I think the old girl still has it. Nyquist continues to show why he belongs...good wheels and strong on the puck. If they can score goals and Howard plays well...anything can happen. The defense won't shut anyone down...Howard is the best defender on this team by far.

I think the Wings have never been dependable on the goalie like now.
I like what I have seen of Ericsson and DeKeyser, but ...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
We've had to play careful hockey. Careful hockey is defensive hockey. When you've got a lot of new talent and a weaker roster than you're typically used to, you have to minimize mistakes.

Do you want guys like Smith or Lashoff or Andersson or Nyquist playing risky hockey? The team isn't good enough to cover for them. So you minimize mistakes and get labeled boring.... which is fine with me if it's winning us games.

RedWingsNow*

Is it Holland or Babcock?
I do not know if we are a better team playing more defence-minded hockey, but it is the way the league is.
I think we were down to 10th place and the highest we were 5th, but I am not sure.

You are right. it's Babcock. Brainfart.

We absolutely are sacrificing offense for defense. Several players, including Zetterberg, Howard and some defensemen have mentioned i

RedWingsNow*

I see it more that when we lost our depth to injuries, they analyzed we have better chances to maximize our regular season points with this low-scoring hockey. If you are on a playoff run, you just have to do it. If you are higher in the standings, 10 points over the playoff spot, you have leverage to not go with so strict system.

It could just take one lucky bounce in a bad game to get points. Just like those 2-1 wins (1-1 and --> overtime) against Kings and Sharks were earlier in the season.

We were ~5th in the standings after the Vancouver game. Since then there has been Zetterberg groin, Brunner hip, Franzen hip... injuries and exhaustion also nagging the top six.

I think our style could change again, if we can get some depth back for the playoffs.

Our road record has been pretty good after this change, but we have started sucking at home games with this defensive style. Can't they use them differently home and road? :)

Injuries are an excuse.
This team has been pretty healthy in the second half.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Can we scratch Quincey every game? I know last night's outcome likely wasn't going to be effected by his play (good or bad), but we simply win without him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Injuries are an excuse.

We've been healthier, but our offense would be stronger up front if we have Helm, Bert, and Sammy in the lineup rather than some combination of Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Andersson, and/or Cleary (edit: and Gator). Put Tatar on the "should be playing" list, too.

Still, I agree, we're sacrificing our offense in a big way, and I disagree with the idea that we're not good enough to push the play a bit. I think we're better suited to playing a more offensive game, and keeping control of the puck. We're not built to grind for 60 minutes every night and win 2-1.

RedWingsNow*

We've been healthier, but our offense would be stronger up front if we have Helm, Bert, and Sammy in the lineup rather than some combination of Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Andersson, and/or Cleary (edit: and Gator). Put Tatar on the "should be playing" list, too.

Still, I agree, we're sacrificing our offense in a big way, and I disagree with the idea that we're not good enough to push the play a bit. I think we're better suited to playing a more offensive game, and keeping control of the puck. We're not built to grind for 60 minutes every night and win 2-1.

And nowhere is that more true than on defense.

Other than Ericsson, a forward converted to defense, and maybe Dekeyser, all of our D are puck possession type D

So to me there are a few major failures here.
1) A failure of Coach Babcock to understand what his players actually are.
2) A failure of GM Holland to give his coach the kinds of players he wants.
3) A failure of GM Babcock to build a balanced roster.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Injuries are an excuse.

Aside from missing the entire third line, the team's best energy player included... yep, pretty healthy! Just an excuse! That extra 60+ points and help on the PK wouldn't have made any difference at all.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Injuries are an excuse.

Injuries are a reality. This team would be better with a healthy Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Helm. Just because our injuries are not to our top players doesn't mean that the injuries have not affected us in many ways.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Injuries are a reality. This team would be better with a healthy Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Helm. Just because our injuries are not to our top players doesn't mean that the injuries have not affected us in many ways.

Bingo.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Helm hurts, sure. Bertuzzi might have snagged us a couple more points in shootouts.

Ultimately, every team has to deal with injuries. Unless they are significant long term injuries to key players, to point at them as the reason your team is struggling is an excuse and nothing more.

The Pens battled through Crosby, Malkin, injuries. The Sens had Karlsson Spezza, Alfredsson. Hawks were missing Hossa and Sharp when we played them (and they still won). If your team can't handle injuries to role players like Helm and Bertuzzi, you aren't even a contender and crying about injuries is pretty moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad