GDT: Game #42 | Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D / NBCSN

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
on thursday my fantasy team was getting destroyed I slowly crawled back into it, but pav and Z's assist on the empty netter put me past him and I made the finals in a league with 20 other GM's.

Fantasy sports has a similar rule structure to Fight Club.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wed Mar 20, 2013 Wild Red Wings 7:30 PM FINAL MIN (4) - DET (2)

This game right here. Such a difference maker.:( A game that should have been a win.
It's killing us right now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is why I've been banging the drum pretty hard for a guy like Campbell or Visnovsky. I don't care if they aren't complete players, this team needs offensive from the blueline something fierce.

But ultimately I think the hope is Kindl and Smith grow into their roles better.

I think that's the hope, too, but you have to be willing to then give them the rope to run with. I know part of it is trying to remain competitive, every team is pretty decent, etc., but damn it seems like we play a boring game.

Agree about bringing someone in. I like both of those guys, though didn't Visnovsky re-sign with the Isles? And I doubt Florida is moving Campbell. Right now, I'd let White walk, move CC and Q, and sign Gonchar in the summer. Of course, I'd run Tatar, Nyquist, and Janrkrok out there next season, too. I doubt any of this will actually happen other than Nyquist getting a spot. Maybe Tatar.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Wed Mar 20, 2013 Wild Red Wings 7:30 PM FINAL MIN (4) - DET (2)

This game right here. Such a difference maker.:( A game that should have been a win.
It's killing us right now.

The losses that have bothered me the most was that late Prospal game winner for CBJ and Kopitar's late game winner for LA. Absolute heartbreakers. And the blown leads against Chicago have been annoying too, although in fairness at least those were points taken against a great team.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What a big win and a solid show by Howie.

I hope Babcock keeps Nyquist, Brunner and Andersson together for the next game. They looked great tonight; Gus especially had some really strong shifts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think that's the hope, too, but you have to be willing to then give them the rope to run with. I know part of it is trying to remain competitive, every team is pretty decent, etc., but damn it seems like we play a boring game.

Agree about bringing someone in. I like both of those guys, though didn't Visnovsky re-sign with the Isles? And I doubt Florida is moving Campbell. Right now, I'd let White walk, move CC and Q, and sign Gonchar in the summer. Of course, I'd run Tatar, Nyquist, and Janrkrok out there next season, too. I doubt any of this will actually happen other than Nyquist getting a spot. Maybe Tatar.

Sounds good to me. And yeah, it's a shame there's not better puck movers available. Gonchar still has it for a season or two. That would be worth a look. He'd be a hell of a mentor for some of the younger guys, at least. His hockey IQ is way up there.

It's kind of surprising that keeping goals out isn't the biggest issue for the Wings defenders this season. Defense is being handled adequately by the kids on the blueline (and some big efforts from Howard). It's the offense that needs a boost.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Rinne has gone into 2012 playoff mode.
imo, rinne was not great in 2012 playoffs.

was that pass shot off the boards done on purpose?
i don't think so.

dekeyser seems to lack offensive skills, but when he becomes bigger and stronger and more experienced, he could be a very good defensive player. he already seems better defensively than the other young d-men.

Dan Cleary - the king of falling down and losing puck battles.
the poor plays i most associate with cleary are carrying the puck into the offensive zone, but then stopping on the boards and getting trapped; and taking dumb long shots on the rush, which he did again in late 2nd period.

Good stop by Jimmy. Brunner cannot run the PP point on an NHL team. He's proven that time and time again this year.
i don't know why babcock uses him on the point. i can't remember any goal or assist by brunner on point of PP, whereas i can remember poor defensive plays and missed shots.

Smith really suck at defensive positioning.
Hopefully he will get better next year.
he does not play like a F as he did early this season, but his D is still not good enough. his offensive game is also not apparent.

if i knew nothing about smith before 2012, i would not see anything special at all about him.

Geez, Datsyuk.... don't just leave your man and give them a 2-on-1
that was a terrible play. focusing on the puck too much is his main weakness on D.

LOL, Weber there on the Franzen goal.
F passed it to weber's wrong side. would have been a good pass if weber were a left shot.

It'd be a Crosby special if he does...

that's dumb. it was clearly an unassisted goal.

So, I think both Abs and Cleary are tied for 3rd on the Wings in goals scored this year now? lol
with zetterberg and franzen

cleary has 3g at ES, 5 on PP and 1 SH. abdelkader's are all ES.

abdelkader and brunner are tied for the team lead in ES goals.

It's the slow defense that causes the slow breakout. They are S...L....O....W.....
Our defense is horrible at generating offense. they just can't consistently move the puck if their lives depended on it, and most of the vets are under producing compared to their career averages. I'm so hoping the Wings do something about this over the summer. Let White go, move Q, maybe move CC, and bring in someone who can move the puck.
their weakness against forechecking also keeps them in the defensive zone too much.

What a big win and a solid show by Howie.

I hope Babcock keeps Nyquist, Brunner and Andersson together for the next game. They looked great tonight; Gus especially had some really strong shifts.
nyquist has been really impressive recently, and one of the best F's.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The losses that have bothered me the most was that late Prospal game winner for CBJ and Kopitar's late game winner for LA. Absolute heartbreakers. And the blown leads against Chicago have been annoying too, although in fairness at least those were points taken against a great team.

The LA game is the one that made me angry. The refs kept giving 5-3 till they won.

RedWingsNow*

Guys, the Red Wings can score goals.

Coach Babcock has them playing a safe game which, naturally, reduces their offense.

Remember how often the Wings did that little bass from behind our net to out front of out net?

We rarely do those kinds of passes anymore. Its up the boards 85 percent of the time because Babcock doesn't trust this defense to move the puck (and with some good reason).

Still, early in the year, we were scoring goals.

We had 58 goals in our first 19 games.... just over 3 goals a game
Since then we have 48 goals in 23 games... just barely over over 2 goals a game.

Even if you subtract the eight goal game... we we averaging over 2.5 goals a game.

Remember when Z was scoring and Kronwall was leading the league in points?

The problem was that we'd given up 51 goals in 17 games (3 goals a game -- Remember that Jimmy Howard worshippers?)
Since then the team has given up 58 goals in 25 games (2.3 goals a game)

So Holland changed the game. Gave up offense. Focused on a simple gameplan...

The question is, are we better off with the new system?

Does anyone know what our record was after our 8-3 win over Vancouver? Where were we in the standings?

If you ask me, defensive hockey and Abdelkader and company on scoring lines makes us a worse hockey team/.

We don't have the roster to play Pre-cap Duck hockey

HTT3*

I have to say, Abdelkader is actually showing some good top 6 potential.

RedWingsNow*

I have to say, Abdelkader is actually showing some good top 6 potential.

That's what I was thinking.

Two goals banked off his skate and body. Two empty netters. A goal the other day where he whiffed on it.
And a hat trick.

Top 6 all the way

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Two goals banked off his skate and body. Two empty netters. A goal the other day where he whiffed on it.
And a hat trick.

Top 6 all the way

Well, he IS the crash and bang guy in that line, he's not supposed to carry the puck or making pretty plays, when he's playing with two puckhogging european figure skaters.

HTT3*

And a hat trick.

Top 6 all the way

How many goals does Zetterberg have in his last 9 games? Entire top 6 is slumping...

But I see something in Abdelkader. He's actually been impressive with Franzen.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Coach Babcock has them playing a safe game which, naturally, reduces their offense.

Remember how often the Wings did that little bass from behind our net to out front of out net?

We rarely do those kinds of passes anymore. Its up the boards 85 percent of the time because Babcock doesn't trust this defense to move the puck (and with some good reason).

Still, early in the year, we were scoring goals.

We had 58 goals in our first 19 games.... just over 3 goals a game
Since then we have 48 goals in 23 games... just barely over over 2 goals a game.

Even if you subtract the eight goal game... we we averaging over 2.5 goals a game.

Remember when Z was scoring and Kronwall was leading the league in points?

The problem was that we'd given up 51 goals in 17 games (3 goals a game -- Remember that Jimmy Howard worshippers?)
Since then the team has given up 58 goals in 25 games (2.3 goals a game)

Does anyone know what our record was after our 8-3 win over Vancouver? Where were we in the standings?

If you ask me, defensive hockey and Abdelkader and company on scoring lines makes us a worse hockey team/.

Is it Holland or Babcock?
I do not know if we are a better team playing more defence-minded hockey, but it is the way the league is.
I think we were down to 10th place and the highest we were 5th, but I am not sure.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Is it Holland or Babcock?

imo, based on what is available to us, it's Babcock. Listening to his interviews, he really stresses that style. And Holland is constantly drafting the opposite kind of guy for that style if that's what he was pushing. Keeps drafting skill guys. He's trying to get bigger sure, but that skill push is still very evident in all those forward picks.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
BTW, Howard stole this game. Did he?

I wouldn't say he stole the game. It's not like the Wings had no business being in tonight's game. He played very solid and made some great saves.

Right now the Wings have scoring issues. Howard at most can only let in 2 goals if they want to win. That's tough on any goaltender not named Hasek.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
This was the best thing that could happen to us: to play a "toothless" (as RWN called them) Predators. Was this a little going away present from Trotz? The Red Wings smoked Nashville. Not to say it wasn't a good game, it had a lot of rushes and skilled plays from both sides. But the Wings' confidence got a boost from playing a defeated team for sure.

Scary though we made it hard on ourselves. 42 games in and the D still suffer from poor positioning during the opposition's breaks. Kindl especially still makes a lot of blunders but 4/5 times recovers and no harm done. It's that 1 time that leads to penalties like tonight or worse yet goals another time. We shouldn't be satisfied by this performance from the D as good as it looks on paper. Something in me was glad Q was gone. I always miss Ian White though. :(

Dekeyser is a man amongst boys! Ok not quite yet :) but I really felt tonight why people here have been so impressed by him. I couldn't believe his interview at 1st intermission. The guy is so mature for his age. After 6 games to be as poised and confident in his game is a sign of a bright future for him.

I agree about the Nyquist- Andersson- Brunner line. Out of this world! I love it, makes perfect sense. Those guys all have something to prove and that can lead to positive chemistry like we saw tonight. It would be nice to see it stick. Haa who am I kidding since we won Babcock will completely rearrange the lineup.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I see it more that when we lost our depth to injuries, they analyzed we have better chances to maximize our regular season points with this low-scoring hockey. If you are on a playoff run, you just have to do it. If you are higher in the standings, 10 points over the playoff spot, you have leverage to not go with so strict system.

It could just take one lucky bounce in a bad game to get points. Just like those 2-1 wins (1-1 and --> overtime) against Kings and Sharks were earlier in the season.

We were ~5th in the standings after the Vancouver game. Since then there has been Zetterberg groin, Brunner hip, Franzen hip... injuries and exhaustion also nagging the top six.

I think our style could change again, if we can get some depth back for the playoffs.

Our road record has been pretty good after this change, but we have started sucking at home games with this defensive style. Can't they use them differently home and road? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad