GDT: Game #42: @ Chicago, April 15th, 7:00PM

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There's nothing flawed about it. Those games with extra assists are what separate the real star offensive producers from guys like Benn who put up 60 something points with five footnotes from fans explaining why the number really should count for more (missed a few games to injury; linemates; PP time; CORSI; zone starts; etc.). At some point he has to be measured by what he does and not by what he's capable of.

I get that. That's not what you said. You're pulling another argument out of your hat now. Now it's all about gross production. Two pages back you said he suffers from inconsistency, i.e. "check out the game logs." Great, I did and compared him to other players, guys who happen to be in a class above him, with the exception of Neal, who just is not a better hockey player than Benn. His ability to consistently put up points is just shy of those players.

I admit we should tap the breaks on glorifying a guy who doesn't have a 30 goal or 70 point season to his name. I also think it's a little ridiculous to conclude a 23 year old player "is what he is." He's not Malkin or Stamkos. He's also not definitively a "60 point player."

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
It will be the only pair of underwear you own. Ever.

yeah id need at least 5 pair. if i only got one every other day would be spent wishing i was wearing my 20 dollar undies.

It is a sign. I just received an email advertisement that they are on sale for $18. The lord works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I get that. That's not what you said. You're pulling another argument out of your hat now. Now it's all about gross production. Two pages back you said he suffers from inconsistency, i.e. "check out the game logs." Great, I did and compared him to other players, guys who happen to be in a class above him, with the exception of Neal, who just is not a better hockey player than Benn. His ability to consistently put up points is just shy of those players.
You're also picking an odd metric to use. He may have had a similar number of zero point games, but his total production was what's lacking.

Honestly, I was going to put numbers showing cold spells, but it's a beating. If you're curious about last year, his mid-November to mid-December run was ice cold. His early February to early March run was cold, and his last few weeks last season were subpar (which was extra disappointing considering how important those games were). Two of those were month-long runs were he was not producing much of anything. Last season, he had two very quiet months and a quiet ending to the season.

He's also not definitively a "60 point player."
Until he proves otherwise...

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Honestly, I was going to put numbers showing cold spells, but it's a beating. If you're curious about last year, his mid-November to mid-December run was ice cold. His early February to early March run was cold, and his last few weeks last season were subpar (which was extra disappointing considering how important those games were). Two of those were month-long runs were he was not producing much of anything. Last season, he had two very quiet months and a quiet ending to the season.

Benn 2012-2013

Jan GP 2 P 1
Feb GP 14 P 13
March GP 11 P 11
April GP GP 8 P 4

Benn 2011-2012

Oct GP 11 P 10
Nov GP 13 P 13
Dec GP 13 P 11
Jan GP 6 P 8
Feb GP 10 P 8
Mar GP 15 P 12
Apr GP 3 P 1

Benn 2010-2011

Oct GP 7 P 5
Nov GP 13 P 9
Dec GP 16 P 8
Jan GP 10 P 10
Feb GP 3 P 1
Mar GP 14 P 16
Apr GP 6 P 6

Incorrect yet again.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
If your going to compare Neal and Benn you have to look at the team around them. Neal has the luxury of playing with the most talented team in the league. He is going to get a lot more chances to get more points.

My biggest problem with Benn is how he plays in our own zone, and I think he should be on the wing. He's going to get better in his own zone and he is going to get surrounded by more talent as he ages.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Incorrect yet again.
From November 11, 2011 to December 13, 2011, Benn played over a full month of hockey. 15 games. In those 15 games, Benn scored all of 2 goals and 4 assists. You don't see that month-long cold streak in the monthly totals because Benn had a hot streak of production on ether side of that month-long cold streak. But whatever.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
His early February to early March run was cold, and his last few weeks last season were subpar (which was extra disappointing considering how important those games were). Two of those were month-long runs were he was not producing much of anything. Last season, he had two very quiet months and a quiet ending to the season.

And yet the season prior he ended with 21 points in 20 games in March and April. That included a 10 game point streak. I'm not going to make excuses; my point is that you can use stats say virtually anything you want. We all have our biases and interpret the numbers how they best serve our position.

Also, I wouldn't say that I picked an odd metric to determine a player's consistency in producing offense. You specifically said he wasn't scoring "consistently" enough, presumably in addition to his overall numbers. I showed that the number of games where he at least got on the score sheet was comparable to players who scored more than he did. He's not consistently putting in 3-point games, I'll give you that.

If your going to compare Neal and Benn you have to look at the team around them. Neal has the luxury of playing with the most talented team in the league. He is going to get a lot more chances to get more points.

No offense, but how is this relevant. I used Neal as an example because he scored 40 goals and 80 points. He also had a lot of games where he wasn't scoring.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
From November 11, 2011 to December 13, 2011, Benn played over a full month of hockey. 15 games. In those 15 games, Benn scored all of 2 goals and 4 assists. You don't see that month-long cold streak in the monthly totals because Benn had a hot streak of production on ether side of that month-long cold streak. But whatever.

So now you are cherry-picking dates to try and prove your point. Good to know.

Brand New Stars

Meh. Anything besides Benn or Loui are God-like gets shot down here.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So now you are cherry-picking dates to try and prove your point. Good to know.

I don't agree with Troy on a number of things about Benn but I wouldn't say it's unfair to pick out a month of games and comment, positively or negatively, on them. It's a month's worth of games. It's actually more arbitrary to use calendar months in my estimation.

My biggest disagreement with him is that he talks about a 23 year old player like a finished product.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
My biggest disagreement with him is that he talks about a 23 year old player like a finished product.
I don't think he's a finished product, but I also worry about his ability to see his full potential at the roles he's being asked to play.

Benn's best attribute is his shot and his nose for the net. He should be a guy capable of scoring 30 something goals a season, but I think he's a guy who can see his number of goals go up though I doubt we will see a big jump in overall points production. He's just not the kind of playmaker who is going to get the huge pile of assists needed to load up point totals.

Don't take my assessment of where he is and will be as a criticism. The team needs his offense.

Sony Eriksson*

So does anyone else think the hit on Chiasson was about 3 steamboats to late?

k1279

Aug 14, 2010

Brand New Stars

Really? Look at the middle of this very thread before Benn scored.

Too many pages. However, Troy makes good points about Benn and they get shot down really fast. Personally, I'm not sure Benn has the drive that players like Crosby and Toews have to be great and consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad