Post-Game Talk: Game #41: Leafs Beat Down Montreal... Again 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose's Mullet

Apr 8, 2013
Subban quote: "It's easy to chirp when they're up 5-1..."

Funny coming from this guy. Does his mouth ever stop flapping? Komorov trolled the f' out of this clown and the rest of the boys were hitting him hard. LOVE IT! :yo:

Heh, like he wouldn't chirp if he was up 5-1. What an ass.

I thought winning a hockey game gives you full reason to chirp. In Subban's case, it's hard to chirp when you're beaten down 5-1. Losing battles everywhere last night! Haha.

On another note, we now need to close the deal with wins against the Devils and Islanders. Wins against those two will just about see us in. Smacking the Senators again on Saturday would obviously be too good for words.

Ottawa will be ground zero for the playoffs. Leafs, Habs, and Sens fans all sharing the same city = mayhem. Can't wait!

Melrose's Mullet

Apr 8, 2013
Why is this arrogant? I'm arrogant for wanting the leafs to make the playoffs?:help:

I don't think you know what arrogant means.

My statement wasn't even a shot at anybody. Didn't expect responses like this for saying I want you to make the playoffs.

As I said to someone else. You guys beat us fair and square. At end of the day, I remember habs beating boston like 12 games in a row and us still being bigger rivals.

It's just a matter of opinion. Some of you may see Ottawa as a bigger rival for instance.

If you meant it in earnest I apologize, however I always assume the fans of your team are smug to the point of fault. I know too many Habs fans who make a big deal about games between our teams, but then when you guys lose you all clam up and pretend that it never really mattered anyways because your true rival is Boston and the Leafs haven't been relevant for years now.

I can't take a Habs' fans saying, in regards to the Leafs, "I hope you guys make it. It's been too long" seriously. It comes off as arrogant and condescending. If that's not your intention like you state, at least be aware of the prospect that it could be misconstrued as such.

This year I would suggest that the rivalry is most definitely there. Both teams are good and all games between the two have had bad blood. They just haven't been close scoring affairs is all.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
If you meant it in earnest I apologize, however I always assume the fans of your team are smug to the point of fault. I know too many Habs fans who make a big deal about games between our teams, but then when you guys lose you all clam up and pretend that it never really mattered anyways because your true rival is Boston and the Leafs haven't been relevant for years now.

I can't take a Habs' fans saying, in regards to the Leafs, "I hope you guys make it. It's been too long" seriously. It comes off as arrogant and condescending. If that's not your intention like you state, at least be aware of the prospect that it could be misconstrued as such.

This year I would suggest that the rivalry is most definitely there. Both teams are good and all games between the two have had bad blood. They just haven't been close scoring affairs is all.

Very well put.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Man, imagine if Reimer had a game like Price did last night.

It would be proof positive that Reimer isn't an NHL goalie.

Love this team right now. Once they get Lupul back they're going to have legitimately two of the best scoring lines in hockey, to go along with great team depth, a stud #1 dman and a damn good #1 goalie, not to mention excellent special teams, and great physical presence.

everything is starting to look really, really good.

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
Don't be so arrogant!:sarcasm:

Will be great to have that back for sure!

We just need a playoff series between the two teams. That would certainly show how much of a rivalry Habs-Leafs is; and I guarantee after one playoff series some Habs fans who discredit the rivalry would feel it. ;) The rivalry's been very stale for a lot of years, and I completely understand the younger fans might not be familiar lol.

Melrose's Mullet

Apr 8, 2013
The thing is, if you go to a game between us and them at the Molson Centre it's so easy to see why that matchup matters so much. The degree of chirping is on another planet. There are venders selling poorly made t-shirts that read "losers since '67" and "Leafs Suck" on them for $5.00... and people buy them! The intensity and anxiousness in the stands is incredible.

leafstilldeath*

Also, anyone else thought Mac had a pretty disappointing game? At least 3 great chances and probably other good ones too and nothing materialized.

with a 4 on 1 Grabo set him up for a tap in and Mac had his stick in the air not expecting a pass. Really whats goign on with him?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I understand. It's a fair enough point but I've been pretty consistent on my feelings of the leafs. For those who play NHL 13 when I join a game and I have to go on Boston side, I find a new game. When I see the leafs I'm like "meh, sure" and join. A very very weird example but some would understand.

To be honest, it is partly that and partly respect on my part. Yes, it is glad to see you guys make it after so long but this isn't a one and done situation. It isn't a "thanks for showing up" thing. It's more of a "The fans deserved better and the team is legit". It's very hard for someone to say glad to see you in playoffs and not have a reference to your slump but I mean it as genuinely as possible. Obviously, I don't wish that you win it all but I want the leafs to be competitive. Now, some may think I'm on my high horse saying "welcome back". My team sucked last year, big time. This really isn't a us vs you thing for me.

It's 'there' but all I'm saying is it depends the perspective. I'm sure if we face leafs in playoffs i'll get into it. It's a dormant volcano for me. The atmosphere will be there and you'll get sucked in even if you don't want to. However, if we don't, then it will continue to be dormant as far as I'm concerned. Some habs fans hate the leafs obviously but not me, that's all.

We just need a playoff series between the two teams. That would certainly show how much of a rivalry Habs-Leafs is; and I guarantee after one playoff series some Habs fans who discredit the rivalry would feel it. ;) The rivalry's been very stale for a lot of years, and I completely understand the younger fans might not be familiar lol.

As I said above, dormant volcano. I also feel Boston-Toronto is a couple series away from exploding too. Many will disagree but it's just a personal feeling.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
To be fair, I didn't post that but I'll say on your own board I feel the same way.

Leafs aren't habs biggest rival. I question if we're even rivals anymore. I WANT leafs to make playoffs, that's how far from a rivalry this feels like.

The rivalry with Boston is significantly greater for me.

I guess after a playoff matchup or two it will come back but for now you're just a northeast division opponent we have history with.

Granted, not every habs fan feels this way, but saying it's not impossible some do.

I don't see the issue being that that two teams aren't rivals, I just think that after 3 losses and two games being one sided, it would be easier for some people to admit the Leafs may not be a bottom dweller and maybe, just maybe, have a decent team. It seems like some people just refuse to believe it.

Melrose's Mullet

Apr 8, 2013
I understand. It's a fair enough point but I've been pretty consistent on my feelings of the leafs. For those who play NHL 13 when I join a game and I have to go on Boston side, I find a new game. When I see the leafs I'm like "meh, sure" and join. A very very weird example but some would understand.

To be honest, it is partly that and partly respect on my part. Yes, it is glad to see you guys make it after so long but this isn't a one and done situation. It isn't a "thanks for showing up" thing. It's more of a "The fans deserved better and the team is legit". It's very hard for someone to say glad to see you in playoffs and not have a reference to your slump but I mean it as genuinely as possible. Obviously, I don't wish that you win it all but I want the leafs to be competitive. Now, some may think I'm on my high horse saying "welcome back". My team sucked last year, big time. This really isn't a us vs you thing for me.

It's 'there' but all I'm saying is it depends the perspective. I'm sure if we face leafs in playoffs i'll get into it. It's a dormant volcano for me. The atmosphere will be there and you'll get sucked in even if you don't want to. However, if we don't, then it will continue to be dormant as far as I'm concerned. Some habs fans hate the leafs obviously but not me, that's all.
Fair enough.

As I said above, dormant volcano. I also feel Boston-Toronto is a couple series away from exploding too. Many will disagree but it's just a personal feeling.

Well I already hate Boston with a passion, and I think some other Leafs fans share that sentiment! I don't think I would be far off in making a generalization about our fans' most hated teams: Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Philly (maybe Detroit for those who remember - I still dislike them).

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

Well said, though to be fair to LL, he's actually a nice guy and is pretty objective for a Habs fan. I've seen him post on the Bruins board too, he's not a troll

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Well said, though to be fair to LL, he's actually a nice guy and is pretty objective for a Habs fan. I've seen him post on the Bruins board too, he's not a troll

He is a former moderator so he does have SOME class. ;)

leafspring*

Kadri's big hits are a thing of beauty. With McLaren, Orr, Fraser not many teams will try to instigate any **** against us, e.g. going after Nazem. It would have been hilarious to watch a Kadri Gallagher fight.

Interesting that Kadri would knock his head off and most likely pretty quick.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I'll go out on a limb here and I'll vouch for LyricalLyricist as a good Habs fan.

Last year, I went on a tirade in the Political forums because out of the blue some Montrealers were arrogantly dissing Toronto and Torontonians thumping their chests claiming they're the best city in the country for no particular reason blah blah blah etc. However, when I decided to give all of those jack***es a piece of my mind, LL was the only level headed Habs fan in the thread not taking shots at the city of Toronto, saying how he loved both cities, and attempting to see things from both points of views. Now I admit, I probably went a tad overboard with my comments towards MTL in that thread which would of made any self-respecting Montrealers blood boil, but he kept his composure and didn't succumb to the potshots both fanbases were dishing out to each other...and for that, he has my respect. :nod:

I wish most Habs fan were as level-headed as him.

EDDIE20*

I love the fact that the Leafs are a good team this year is causing so much butthurt to others.:naughty:

leafspring*

To be fair, I didn't post that but I'll say on your own board I feel the same way.

Leafs aren't habs biggest rival. I question if we're even rivals anymore. I WANT leafs to make playoffs, that's how far from a rivalry this feels like.

The rivalry with Boston is significantly greater for me.

I guess after a playoff matchup or two it will come back but for now you're just a northeast division opponent we have history with.

Granted, not every habs fan feels this way, but saying it's not impossible some do.

Well its nice to see you taking these regular season losses with class but its bound to start burning yer arse like a 3 foot flame soon enough no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad