Post-Game Talk: GAME #41: Canucks 3 @ Flames 2 (OT): Halfway point of the season gets its own PGT

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Okay, so to get to a hypothetical playoff bar of 95 points, they'll need somewhere between 24 and 27 wins in their remaining 41 games (with latitude of about half a dozen OTLs).

So yeah, at minimum they'll need to go around 24-11-6 to get to that bar.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Missed first two periods...wow, bad pass by Boeser to Leivo, the guy was not open and everyone was going into the zone. Then Loui dogging it on his man who gets the rebound.

Interesting they shift Boeser to his normal wing on the PP, it worked out this time but Bo made that goal with the screen.

EP with that zinger! Again they need to have both options working on the PP, it's pure idiocy that they don't. All this could be fixed by taking Edler off.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
I did not expect this team to go 8-2-1 after that losing streak. January schedule is soft as well...... I might be a playoff believer!!!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team has been massively outplayed in the last 2 games but Pettersson is unreal and Markstrom is playing like an All-Star. And Tanev is back in elite form. Rest of team .... mehhhhh.

Glad Baertschi is back and picked up a point but I’m not sure how we got from fears his career was over a few weeks ago to him back now. Seems awful quick and I hope we aren’t talking about a Franzen situation in a couple years.

Granlund is horrendous.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Greener used Granny in the 3 on 3 overtime with near tragic results.

Maybe it's time to take the Granny tool out of the Greener toolbox?

There hasn’t been a day in the last 2 years where the decision to waive Granlund wouldn’t have been the correct one for this team.

Just an awful hockey player. Slow. Soft. Lazy. Bad at both ends of the rink. Just complete and utter shit in every way.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
There hasn’t been a day in the last 2 years where the decision to waive Granlund wouldn’t have been the correct one for this team.

Just an awful hockey player. Slow. Soft. Lazy. Bad at both ends of the rink. Just complete and utter **** in every way.
You've been correct about this all along. Time to cut that guy. I imagine he'd be a real boon to the Comet's fortunes as well. What is it that Green sees in him do you think? He's not a Winterhawks grad I don't think...

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You've been correct about this all along. Time to cut that guy. I imagine he'd be a real boon to the Comet's fortunes as well. What is it that Green sees in him do you think? He's not a Winterhawks grad I don't think...

What Granlund is THEORETICALLY able to provide is useful. Supposedly can play in all situations. And he can - but because of his lack of footspeed and general softness I don't think he's very effective in defensive situations. His position play at both ends is solid sure but at the end of the day a team whose motto is #battle shouldn't have such an obvious passenger.

Lots of NHL management have held on to the potential they see in a player or the preconceived notions they have about them. Happens all the time, this is just a particularly egregious example of it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I have no idea.

Like, I can get why the hustle of a guy like Motte can fool a coach into giving him more minutes than he deserves. And I can get the human nature behind overplaying guys you had in junior and who you’re emotionally invested in their success.

But Granlund is slow. And lazy. He doesn’t hustle, and he doesn’t get any results. But two consecutive coaches have poisoned their rosters by making this AHL bum a 17-minute all-situations mainstay. It’s lunacy.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I actually don't think Granlund is even that good defensively. Just because people say it doesn't mean it's true. He chases way too much in his own zone imo.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
What Granlund is THEORETICALLY able to provide is useful. Supposedly can play in all situations. And he can - but because of his lack of footspeed and general softness I don't think he's very effective in defensive situations. His position play at both ends is solid sure but at the end of the day a team whose motto is #battle shouldn't have such an obvious passenger.

Lots of NHL management have held on to the potential they see in a player or the preconceived notions they have about them. Happens all the time, this is just a particularly egregious example of it.
Excellent answer. I think Green probably sees a guy that is very coachable and tries to execute direction to the best of his ability in all situations but just physically can't get it done a lot of the time. Taking this option away from Green is probably the money move here.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'd call up Zack MacEwan to see what he can do and waive Granlund. If someone claimed him all the better.
I think he probably really is what he's supposed be here at the AHL level, I'd be happy to have him plying his trade there for the balance of the season. Of course now that he's seen the lights of Paris he'd be unlikely to stick around there beyond the end of this contract but that'd be okay too.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Really rotten first half of a game, followed by a pretty good second half. Markstrom was the constant throughout - game is over in the first if not for him.

Nice to see the kids bag the goals. I don’t know if I’d noticed before how whiny the Flames are - they were yapping at the refs all game long even when the calls were going their way.

Bennett and Neal can go fly a kite, as well.

Happy to squeeze out a victory here. Stecher looked like he hadn’t missed a beat, Baertschi understandably had a bit more rust to try and work off.

Actually felt Gudbranson had an OK game, which is good news because Pouliot was a travesty. Man.

Horvat with a rare “ok” night instead of his usual superhuman efforts; Pettersson and Boeser providing timely offense, Edler and Tanev playing monster defensive games, and Markstrom standing on his head got us the win today.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
19-18-4 through the first half, when I expected them to be roughly where Los Angeles is right now (i.e., fully last in the Western Conference)

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gritty win by the boyz

Pettersson was absolutely unreal at both ends of the ice. Got the team out of trouble so many times in their own zone i lost count. Goal was drool worthy
Boeser has some lagging moments but is absolutely lethal around the net. Hard to find fault when he sets up the winner and scores an absolute lazer.
Goldobin had a few moments offensively but has to be able to fight pucks out of the zone and win a few battles if he wants to play more.
Horvat and Virtanen were really stiff tonight. Wasn't overly fond of eithers game once they got the puck moving forward
Eriksson was actually pretty good if you look past his slow start and poor effort on the Jankowski goal
Beagle Motte Roussel were their usual industrius line.....got little done in the Flames zone except Motte who was again very good
Granlund was poor in this one and cannot play quality minutes at C. Made a poor giveaway for Jankowski's goal and wasn't able to fight through anything....Needs to sit when Sutter is ready
Leivo and Baertschi played well and its nice to see some quality depth on the wings

Edler Tanev are on a roll and are a legit top shut down pair. This team cannot afford to trade either one unless they want to go downward in a hurry
Hutton and Gudbranson had some moments of struggle. Hutton wasnt moving pucks fast enough and Gudbranson has moments of bad hands or blind passes that get him into trouble but both battled impressively. really liked the push back from those 2 tonight
Pouliot is hanging on by a thread at the best of times and looks nothing like a former offensive star and Stecher looked slightly better but a tad rusty.

Markstrom is legit....if he can run this play for most of the remaining season we have a goalie we can win with and that is huge as it allows Demko to come in without too much pressure.

Have to be excited by Hughes Madden and DiPietro as well.........Good times Canuck fans

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
We're screaming-hot, the last-place triumvirate of Los Angeles/Chicago/St. Louis is warming up, and Edmonton/Minnesota + Nashville/Colorado have stalled the f*** out - things might be shuffling around in the pecking order

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson isn't just demonstrating the skills that make him a potential 'star player', but looking more every game like a 'generational talent'. What he's doing as a 20-year old is ridiculous. Lethal shot; elite level vision and a demon in the d-zone. Might be the best defensive player the Canucks have. There's really nothing this kid can't do.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We're screaming-hot, the last-place triumvirate of Los Angeles/Chicago/St. Louis is warming up, and Edmonton/Minnesota + Nashville/Colorado have stalled the **** out - things might be shuffling around in the pecking order

Are you saying there's a chance at P...?

I honestly think that had the team stayed relatively healthy we wouldn't have gotten into that long losing streak but then again, we weren't expected to survive that long ridiculous schedule in the first place.

Great win tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad