Post-Game Talk: GAME #41: Canucks 3 @ Flames 2 (OT): Halfway point of the season gets its own PGT

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Granlund has more to give -- it's just that he needs to sit right now. He should not be playing. He's hurting the team far more than he is helping it, and needs something to shake him up or... heck, I don't know what he needs. I do know he's been better than this in the past, though. We saw it happen with Hutton last year, where he just needed to be taken aside and called on his garbage, and figure out if he wants to be in this league anymore. I feel like good coaching could help.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson getting the credit for the 2nd goal but just want to highlight what a beast Tanev was on that play

b2ed23e93db01bcb8bfbb354db582df6.gif

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
If this GM just stockpiled 2nd and 3rd round picks rather than pissed our most valuable assets away on projects and win-now players, we'd probably have at least 1 or 2 more future top 4 d-men in our ranks.
Re-tooling always comes at the cost of the rebuild. Everyone knew what the price would be. I was fine with it at the time, because I'm a diehard and would literally rather be the 16th playoff seed than be any of the teams that missed. And I'm fine with it now. Think of how far today should have been considering we last made the playoffs in '15. Seems like a pretty good turnaround for a rebuild, no?

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So has anyone on here been on a team that went through a streak of giving up early goals?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Elias is a defensive BEAST!!!! What a play in O.T!

This is what had impressed me the most in this game. I have long questioned his defensive game at C. I think I will continue to do so until I see him improve in some problem areas. That said, he was magnificent defensively tonight. That's a legit 1C on defense.

It's funny that after Petey came off kind of quickly, and Bo had just been out I was thinking...who the heck do they have left to put out there?

And then I saw Bae/Granlund and I thought that might be the start of a disaster. And it almost was. Says something about where the team is right now.

We're in a weird place with sporadic production from the top line and newfound consistency from Marky is carrying the day. But we're winning games we don't deserve to. Which is fun because I've been watching more, but maybe not the best position for the team's future.

I wanted to follow up on this because I think your opinions on goaltending are often astute. To me, Markstrom has been consistent before this stretch. He consistently let in one bad goal, and he consistently stopped the majority of shots faced. Now, it seems like he's doing the same thing, just at another level. However here, you have remarked that he's found consistency. Please elaborate on the difference you see.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pettersson getting the credit for the 2nd goal but just want to highlight what a beast Tanev was on that play

b2ed23e93db01bcb8bfbb354db582df6.gif
He also made a a great one touch pass on his very next shift to Goldobin which lead to a break away.

Tanev is returning to elite form, has been an absolute wall the past ~10 games.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
No. We need 2 more NHL defensmen. Edler is retiring and Tanev is getting older. Maybe can be shored up thru trade...

Tampa is currently proving that you can build a D through free agency or trade. Everyone besides Koekkoek amd Hedman are either free agnecy or trades. Its entirely possible to get a couple guys that way...although, knowing the drunk monkey we have as a GM, he'll try to sign 2 more Pouliots.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tampa is currently proving that you can build a D through free agency or trade. Everyone besides Koekkoek amd Hedman are either free agnecy or trades. Its entirely possible to get a couple guys that way...although, knowing the drunk monkey we have as a GM, he'll try to sign 2 more Pouliots.
Victor Hedman is arguably the best defender in the NHL though, he’s clearly the straw that stirs the drink there.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Watching the replays Hanifin jumping when he thought they were about to score on the delayed penalty was pretty cute tbh

If you're a grown man who jumps for joy when your team is about to score in a regular season game, you're probably a pretty happy guy.

Reactions: Literally

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hanifin is developing into a nice player. I think Calgary did well on that trade.

About the game...

Players who deserved to win the two points:

Every Calgary flame

Markstrom.

The last 6 periods of play from the Canucks has not been inspiring and do not lead me to believe that this streak is at all sustainable.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Every time I watch a game this season I think the same thing: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and more recently Markstrom, are good. Everyone else sucks.

Watching the bulk of the blue line attempt to do anything offensive with the puck is hilarious.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Re-tooling always comes at the cost of the rebuild. Everyone knew what the price would be. I was fine with it at the time, because I'm a diehard and would literally rather be the 16th playoff seed than be any of the teams that missed. And I'm fine with it now. Think of how far today should have been considering we last made the playoffs in '15. Seems like a pretty good turnaround for a rebuild, no?

You call it being a diehard I call it being extremely short sighted and not actually caring about the real goal:

lataus (1).jpeg

Reactions: canuckking1

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He is playing like the best goalie in the league.

The problem is your expectations were and continue to be too high. When he plays to his salary you complain because you want him to play “like this,” but if he played like this all the time he’d be a 12M goalie, which he’s simply not. That is why people “wondered why,” because you for some reason expect a 3M goalie to “consistently” play to a vezina caliber. It is a preposterous expectation.
None of this is correct.

Dont care about salary. Try to never mention salary. Of any player.. cuz its lame in any topic other than a salary cap or gm thread.

My expectation isn't for him to play 943 hockey all the time...
Its play more consistently in-game and not to crush our team early or with illed timed softies while standing on his head for the rest of the game.

I just hated the softies and goals against in the first few shots or mins taking the air outta games for the team (and for me watching) creating an uphill grind for them. My expectation and simple hope for Marky is survive the first 5 mins and or shots of a game and then the team has a chance to settle in and find their own groove.

But he's putting it together now...

Peace.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It really does feel like Pettersson/Horvat will lead us back to the Henrik/Kesler glory days. This team really has no business being where they are in the standings, but here we are.

These two are already the best 1-2 centre duo in the western conference and probably top-3 or 4 in the league. We are just so fortunate to have another dominant centre duo only a few years after our last one.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Granlund has more to give -- it's just that he needs to sit right now. He should not be playing. He's hurting the team far more than he is helping it, and needs something to shake him up or... heck, I don't know what he needs. I do know he's been better than this in the past, though. We saw it happen with Hutton last year, where he just needed to be taken aside and called on his garbage, and figure out if he wants to be in this league anymore. I feel like good coaching could help.

Difference between Hutton and Granlund is while they are both 25 year olds, Hutton got his calling out last year and came into this year more committed, motivated and in better shape...

Granlund I'm not exactly sure what the issue is? Just general hockey IQ? Lack of commitment/motivation? Just not skilled enough? I don't know for certain, other than that he has been the Canucks player with highest Goals Against while on the PK and has consistently along with Pouliot been responsible for a large number of goals against us in general.

He has been with the Canucks for 3 and 1/2 seasons now, 1 and 1/2 under Coach Green... What more do you feel he has to give?

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Granlund may not be playing the best at even strength, but with how the PK is running, I don't see him coming out at the moment.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
NJD,OTT,MON....all winnable games coming up (although it is 3 games in 4 nights)...Sens are banged up....Price injured for the Habs.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Granlund may not be playing the best at even strength, but with how the PK is running, I don't see him coming out at the moment.
Pretty much..

He's on the top unit PK with Beagle.. with a second unit of Eriksson-Roussel.
They've just played 10/11 clean games..

When Sutter returns, it could be at the expense of Goldy. They probably break Baertschi back in and get his legs going with Granlund, with more and more shifts in-game along side Pettersson, and then make the move to start the game that way once Sutter comes back.

We will see. Leivo and Goldy are probably ahead of Granlund for that first scratch.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This is what had impressed me the most in this game. I have long questioned his defensive game at C. I think I will continue to do so until I see him improve in some problem areas. That said, he was magnificent defensively tonight. That's a legit 1C on defense.

I wanted to follow up on this because I think your opinions on goaltending are often astute. To me, Markstrom has been consistent before this stretch. He consistently let in one bad goal, and he consistently stopped the majority of shots faced. Now, it seems like he's doing the same thing, just at another level. However here, you have remarked that he's found consistency. Please elaborate on the difference you see.

It's really subtle. Most poster on here will look at shots and/or goals against and say they are consistent.

Personally IMO the "bad goals" thing is a bit of a myth. Sometimes the team saves the goalie and sometimes the goalie saves the team. Any decent team understands this. Sometimes inexplicable things happen to a team, like the 2010-2012 canucks not being able to preserve a shutout in the last two minutes. Are the goalies not trying hard enough to get a shutout? Are the d-men just slacking off? No, hockey is weird and sometimes weird patterns arise. And most of the time the whole team has to weather those stretches, not just the goalie.

Like the other game Nilly let in a couple of bad (read, early) goals. But we came back in the last period and won. Was the team so "demoralized" that they just stopped playing? Does the result change if Nilly was a wall and then the other team gets two favourable bounces in the second and ends up with the same lead?

To me it is much more important to make most of the saves you should and give up the same (low) number of goals per game.

What I mean when I say consistent is that he plays within his system more. I think it's dangerous to take too much freelancing out of his game because IMO that extra athleticism and battle is what elevates him over someone like Nilly. But he did have a tendency to do random things. When he first came here he had a "crazy legs" style where he would move or shimmy his legs when he should have been set. Melanson mostly took that out but it would come back sometimes. Now it is completely gone. Last season he was kind of caught between playing his old atacking style and letting the game come to him. He was also stuck in terms of the glove positioning he was working on with Cloutier. Sometimes you could see all those changes and sometimes you couldn't.

His edges are crisp and he has less awkward transitions (he still has some because he's super tall). He gets up almost every time when the puck is out of the post integration zone. He is looking to use his stick whenever possible. These are things that were present before but not always used or not used wisely.

Most importantly his tracking is very very good. He hardly does anything without his head leading. That's a struggle for every goalie to implement on a game-to-game basis and right now he's been excellent. That's probably the number one point of consistency I've seen from him so far this season.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Pretty much..

He's on the top unit PK with Beagle.. with a second unit of Eriksson-Roussel.
They've just played 10/11 clean games..

When Sutter returns, it could be at the expense of Goldy. They probably break Baertschi back in and get his legs going with Granlund, with more and more shifts in-game along side Pettersson, and then make the move to start the game that way once Sutter comes back.

We will see. Leivo and Goldy are probably ahead of Granlund for that first scratch.

Granlund for Sutter seems like the move that provides the most upside to me.

Leivo and Goldy both provide a more consistent scoring threat, and Sutter was good on the PK before he went down... if Sutter isnt ready to get back onto the PK right away we still have other options with Motte, Virtanen and even Horvat.

Sitting Goldy in favor of Granlund would be a headscratcher of a scratch.

Reactions: Literally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad