Post-Game Talk: GAME #41: Canucks 3 @ Flames 2 (OT): Halfway point of the season gets its own PGT

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
He is playing like the best goalie in the league.

The problem is your expectations were and continue to be too high. When he plays to his salary you complain because you want him to play “like this,” but if he played like this all the time he’d be a 12M goalie, which he’s simply not. That is why people “wondered why,” because you for some reason expect a 3M goalie to “consistently” play to a vezina caliber. It is a preposterous expectation.
:thumbu:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I wanted to follow up on this because I think your opinions on goaltending are often astute. To me, Markstrom has been consistent before this stretch. He consistently let in one bad goal, and he consistently stopped the majority of shots faced. Now, it seems like he's doing the same thing, just at another level. However here, you have remarked that he's found consistency. Please elaborate on the difference you see.

To TL;DR my longer post, I agree that 95% of what he was doing before was consistent. But that extra 5% of better tracking and a more even approach to the game has definitely given him an extra level of performance.

Again, "early goals" = "bad goals" to me isn't really a thing. You can let in goals you should have saved but especially over the long run the goalie and the team will bail each other out as the season goes on. In this case I'd say Marky has bailed out the team more often than they've bailed him out.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

BiggBird

Dec 30, 2018
Petterson saves the day in overtime and Brockstar sets up the Eagle couldnt ask for a better Saturday!

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
To TL;DR my longer post, I agree that 95% of what he was doing before was consistent. But that extra 5% of better tracking and a more even approach to the game has definitely given him an extra level of performance.

Again, "early goals" = "bad goals" to me isn't really a thing. You can let in goals you should have saved but especially over the long run the goalie and the team will bail each other out as the season goes on. In this case I'd say Marky has bailed out the team more often than they've bailed him out.

Thanks for your goaltending analysis, was a good read.

Reactions: mossey3535

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You call it being a diehard I call it being extremely short sighted and not actually caring about the real goal:
Ok I'm just shaking my head at what you're trying to say here because it seems to be completely blind to what I just said. Ya, it's short sighted. We all knew at the time that trades like Forsling for Clendening weren't about building a contender in 2020. To say they weren't actually caring about the real goal....this is why nobody takes tank nation seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad