GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Senators | January 8th, 7PM MT | Halfway Through

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't think so. I think Rendulic is one of the odd cases of playing better with better linemates. He's a skilled player, there's no denying that. He can fly, he can shoot, and he can be crafty with the puck too. It helps that he's got that adrenaline right now because he's getting in hard on the forecheck/backcheck and playing the body every chance he gets, something Roy told him to do more of in pre-season and he's clearly listened. I also love how he gets into the shooting lane to block shots, does it very well.

It's pretty early, but I have high hopes for Rendulic moving forward.

Side note, I think that we lose this game 5-3. Anderson has an ok game, but the Sens beat up on us because hey, we're .500, which means it's impossible to win tonight

If only Everberg could get another shot and come back up and get some time in there instead of Briere. I think he'd help alot too.

This team is really missing McGinn, not only from a depth perspective, but a physical presence. Plus he's good for nearly 20 goals.

If it comes down to it I hope they keep McGinn for a long time. I think they can fill in ROR's spot eventually.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

i pray the god that this was taken out of context or smth..

Drew Spevak ‏@DrewSpevak 28m28 minutes ago
I think when Roy said we possessed the puck more he was referring to the last 12 games and not necessarily the CHI game

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Very purdy GDT!

Everberg isn't coming back until they are done with Rendulic IMO.

That would be my bet.

I know there are a lot of people that really like Redmond, but he really isn't good defensively. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in over Holden, but it isn't like Redmond was playing at a level that screamed he should be an everyday player. They have a good amount invested in Holden and want him to get his game back to where it was at the end of last season.

If Redmond is that bad defensively then they are doing a great job sheltering him (putting him against guys who cant capitalize on his mistakes), or he is just the luckiest person alive. His bad play isnt leading to opponents goals very often. He gave up a couple in that final game he played against St. Louis , but before that the last time he gave one up, IMO, was against Nashville (and that was an empty net score), 8 games before that St. Louis game.

according to my numbers (9 goals partial responsible for, 3 of which he was the main culprit) he has given up less goals than anyone else on the team, per game.

Credit to the coaching staff.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I know there are a lot of people that really like Redmond, but he really isn't good defensively. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in over Holden, but it isn't like Redmond was playing at a level that screamed he should be an everyday player. They have a good amount invested in Holden and want him to get his game back to where it was at the end of last season.

I agree. It's not like Redmond being sat is completely unwarranted.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
That would be my bet.

If Redmond is that bad defensively then they are doing a great job sheltering him (putting him against guys who cant capitalize on his mistakes), or he is just the luckiest person alive. His bad play isnt leading to opponents goals very often. He gave up a couple in that final game he played against St. Louis , but before that the last time he gave one up, IMO, was against Nashville (and that was an empty net score), 8 games before that St. Louis game.

according to my numbers (9 goals partial responsible for, 3 of which he was the main culprit) he has given up less goals than anyone else on the team, per game.

Credit to the coaching staff.

The problem is who does he replace on RD? Is Holden filling in as a RD at the moment?

I agree. It's not like Redmond being sat is completely unwarranted.

He'll get to play again once his agent publicly complains again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Stuart is playing RD in place of Redmond at the moment. Holden is mostly playing the left side.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On Rendulic, it is weird he fits in the Avs better than the Monsters. Here I think he's trying real hard to be responsible. On the Monsters I think he was trying harder to be offensive and therefore his defense wasn't as good. Also keep in mind the Monsters play dump and chase which isn't really conducive to Rendulic's game. I don't really know what to make of him, he's the biggest wild card. But considering an actual prospect has stuck on a premium line for longer than 5 minutes is interesting.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
On Rendulic, it is weird he fits in the Avs better than the Monsters. Here I think he's trying real hard to be responsible. On the Monsters I think he was trying harder to be offensive and therefore his defense wasn't as good. Also keep in mind the Monsters play dump and chase which isn't really conducive to Rendulic's game. I don't really know what to make of him, he's the biggest wild card. But considering an actual prospect has stuck on a premium line for longer than 5 minutes is interesting.

He's a Roy guy. :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
With that size and especially shot (since he uses the size even less) Rendulic does have some potential but it sure is good he tries hard to play defense since he likely won't stick in the top-6 long term.

member 116861

It feels so weird to watch Guenin, Holden, and Stuart and not want to rip my hair out.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
With that size and especially shot (since he uses the size even less) Rendulic does have some potential but it sure is good he tries hard to play defense since he likely won't stick in the top-6 long term.

I think if he puts some muscle on and works on maintaining his balance, he could absolutely be a top 6 winger. I think he is starting to round out his game but still looks a little spastic and gets Bambi legs from time to time.

His skating and shot are NHL quality now and I would argue his stick handling and passing are as well. If he can learn to stay on his feet and use some composure he could be a real steal for us.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Cliche and Talbot are on the 1st PK unit, and doing a pretty good job, actually the PK is one of the few bright spots this season. I doubt Roy is going to sit any of them, it would be stupid.

The PK is a bright spot, but its not like either of those 2 are better than our other forwards. We have plenty of those PKers (Lando and Mitchell are not used much now) who could eat up an extra 3 minutes of PK time. Having Cliche/Talbot sit wouldnt hurt the PK. Actually, it might help (maybe not though). One reason Cliche and Talbot get so much time is because they get stuck in the zone. The other units dont get hemmed in the zone for a minute at a time.

Stuart is the only skater who really influences the PK. Not that the others are bad, but to me he is the only one who is clearly better than his Dmen counter parts. The forwards are all roughly the same after RoR and Lando who isnt even being used for some crazy reason.

Number of PK goals given up by forwards (actually did something wrong/bad/poor/etc, not just on the ice):
Talbot- 6 (once every 19.5 minutes)
Tanguay- 4 (17.25 minutes)
Cliche- 3 (23.75 minutes)
McLeod- 3 (22 minutes)
O'Reilly- 2 (38 minutes)
Mitchell- 1 (10 minutes, very small sample size)
Duchene- 1 (9 minutes, very small sample size, but lets be honest, he needs to stay away)
Lando- 0 (20 minutes total so far, he needs to play more)

We could easily go with Cliche/Talbot- O'Reilly, Lando-McLeod, Mitchell-Tanguay.

We dont need both Talbot and Cliche to have a successful PK unit.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think if he puts some muscle on and works on maintaining his balance, he could absolutely be a top 6 winger. I think he is starting to round out his game but still looks a little spastic and gets Bambi legs from time to time.

His skating and shot are NHL quality now and I would argue his stick handling and passing are as well. If he can learn to stay on his feet and use some composure he could be a real steal for us.

I'm hoping he becomes a more skilled Brad Isbister. He's got the frame and I've seen him drive the net a bit and like that. He's also got some speed but as you said his legs look funny from time to time. I think he needs to develop some more muscle mass. I'd like to see him carve a niche on the third line with the ability to play on the second in case of injuries.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I don't think it is all that weird.

I looked up quite a lot of players over the last couple of weeks.

I have yet to find a correlation between AHL numbers and strong NHL play.

Some do but many others have terrible numbers in the AHL and go on to have major success in the NHL for whatever reason.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Whenever I try to predict the result the complete opposite happens. So let's say 4-2 Sens.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Probably the last game of the season I will be at. So far I'm 2-3. Lets get over 500 maybe?

Go avs go.... :dunno:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Redmond will get his shot again, he wasn't playing that great so im not surprised Holden was put back in. Holden has been fine but Redmond will get back in once Holden or Guenin mess up some.

5-2 Avs...Duchene (2), Iginla, EJ, MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad