GDT: Game 41: Avs vs Senators | January 8th, 7PM MT | Halfway Through

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Holded did have some atrocious giveaways in his own zone. Let's hope for a win against Dallas on Saturday, Calgary will continue to be Calgary, then we just have to chase the peg for a playoff spot :handclap:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
its so nice to see tanguay and iginla doing well on that line. They kept that chemistry from when younger...

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Hopefully the Avs are actually turning a corner. There have been some moments this year that just felt like them turning it around and they quickly quashed that idea. I really hope they start to believe in themselves now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hate the whole "percentage of making the playoffs" crap. It's based completely on numbers and has nothing to do with how good a team is.

If Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim and St. Louis all were 5 points out and Edmonton, Arizona, Calgary and Minny were in playoff positions do you really think 7% would be an accurate estimate of those teams getting into the playoffs?

Teams get hot, teams get cold. Changes happen all the time. Not saying I think the Avs have a great shot to make it in but I just think the whole % thing is a load of crap.

edit: I do however like the numbers Jaymond Flurrie is giving us in the playoff thread. That's actually a reasonable explanation of how well we've been doing compared to how well we need to do.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Was anyone else listening to the Sens radio feed last night? I was for the first period and it was pretty funny. The two guys seemed like they were more or less owning up to trying some of the legal green in Colorado without really saying it. It was pretty funny!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully the Avs are actually turning a corner. There have been some moments this year that just felt like them turning it around and they quickly quashed that idea. I really hope they start to believe in themselves now.

2 regulation losses in the past 13 games suggests the avs are actually turning the season around...especially with Varly back, Mack/Duchene looking better and ROR/Landy returning to their true form.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
2 regulation losses in the past 13 games suggests the avs are actually turning the season around...especially with Varly back, Mack/Duchene looking better and ROR/Landy returning to their true form.

That's questionable to say the least lol. If anything, game by game Duchene has regressed

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
That's questionable to say the least lol. If anything, game by game Duchene has regressed

Yes, unfortunately he's not looking much like a franchise #1C.

O'Reilly on the other hand, is (lately) playing some of the best two-way center hockey this team has seen in a long time, Stastny notwithstanding. The old dudes are doing quite well. And as long as EJ and Varlamov play this way, things are possible.

I do hope that this will dispel any further "our structure" nonsense in the minds of Sakic/Roy. There are a couple of very good players who'll be entering the last year of their contracts come July.

If what we're seeing out of O'R (lately) and EJ (for most of this season) is indicative of what we can consistently expect moving forward, their extensions are going to cost Colorado $14M per season. Pay them. (Unless they do a good trade, of course)

Last edited:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I really like seeing Ror play well.. damn pretty soon we could actually have our team look like winners playing games like that.. Mitchel continues to impress....
Now if Duchy steps back into form what an explosive offense.
Honestly where I thought we would start... ie good on one end. Please trade for a d man, and make a run to the cup

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Has anyone asked Patrick whats wrong with Duchene?

As soon as they drop another game, and he doesn't score, I'm sure someone will. They've been winning so that's not really the primary focal point.

Patrick's been hinting around it for a while now though. Even when talking about why they won games recently, saying that's what happens when your top players are playing well. He knows the obvious next thought is everyones playing pretty well except Duchene.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As soon as they drop another game, and he doesn't score, I'm sure someone will. They've been winning so that's not really the primary focal point.

Patrick's been hinting around it for a while now though. Even when talking about why they won games recently, saying that's what happens when your top players are playing well. He knows the obvious next thought is everyones playing pretty well except Duchene.

Can you imagine if Duchene was playing in Toronto and playing the way he is lol He would prolly slap someone

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually think Duchene has looked like he's simplifying he's game on that Landy-Dutchy-Rendo line. He's still not good, but he's isn't so visibly in a frustrating rut...now he just needs to start looking like he's got that spark again.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I actually think Duchene has looked like he's simplifying he's game on that Landy-Dutchy-Rendo line. He's still not good, but he's isn't so visibly in a frustrating rut...now he just needs to start looking like he's got that spark again.

He still thinks hes foppa out there. Matt needs to watch less Foppa and more Sakic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Really? Because I feel he's looked worse game after game. Trying that stupid spin-o-rama stuff again, and I've hardly seen him even consider using Rendulic even though a lot of times Duchene has two guys drawn towards him and Rendulic is an open man. He's just trying to do too much right now, a bad habit he has when things aren't going well for him

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Duchene always plays good against Dallas. Hopefully he can get it going.

This team isn't turning it around without him. So hope he gets going. All it will take is a good game and he will have his mojo back.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
^^ Stupid spinoramas are moves to get away from defenders. He needs team mates to get open so he can pass the puck when he beats his guy. The entire purpose is to escape coverage and make another defender leave his coverage.

If he was beating defenders and scoring or making passes you would be saying he is looking great. Last season, that is how he played his best hockey. Down low.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I don't think Matt's had many unnecessary spins recently. He is focusing too much on doing it all himself, and Rendo/Landy are still learning how to play off of Matt when he makes his moves, but if he has a big game here against Dallas I think we see that line take off.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matt's entire career has been plagued with the same problem of trying to do too much by himself. When he's playing with confidence it works great. When he eventually hits a slump and loses confidence, his do it all himself approach just pushes him further into a slump, and it snowballs into losing more confidence, because he doesn't move the puck to let others help him out. It results in the spin-o-rama of death and he loses the puck, or shots that are way off target or right into the goalies chest.

He desperately needs to take on more of a traditional playmakers approach, and make finding the open man his priority. He needs to utilize his vision of the entire zone better. All those spin moves and puck possession result in the opposition gravitating toward him and leaving someone open. He needs to play off that and get them the puck, not just hold onto the puck forever in hopes of taking the shot himself all the time.

Let Mack be the speedy goal scoring center, he'll be the playmaker. The way Forsberg complimented Sakic on different lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad