bvQatM7.jpg

Game Notes

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
#freeredmondagain

It's getting comical how he sits in favor of Holden. I know every coach has their favorites, but wow. We're seeing a full blown Matt Hunwick situation here and everyone knows you never got fully Matt Hunwick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Once again the Avs find themselves with an opportunity to finally get above the .500 mark tonight, and facing a bit of a weaker opponent.

So, obviously it'll be the Columbus game all over again. We'll come out slow, find ourselves in a hole. Start playing good hockey halfway through the 2nd. Battle back to tie the game late, just to have Ottawa score another hear breaker in the last 2-3 minutes of the game. 3-2 loss probably this time.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's getting comical how he sits in favor of Holden. I know every coach has their favorites, but wow. We're seeing a full blown Matt Hunwick situation here and everyone knows you never got fully Matt Hunwick.
What? We're talking 3 games here. I thought Holden actually played pretty well against Chicago.

Redmond will get his chance again real soon. Roy doesn't like to sit his defensemen for a long time.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
#freeredmondagain

No kidding. I can't believe the short leash he is one. Dude was benched for a similar play as when General Guenin was born, except it wasn't a slow developing play like with Guenin. Did Guenin get benched? Nope. instead Iggy was blamed.

It's hard to put him back in now though. Holden has actually been playing pretty good since coming back. He is looking more like he did last year when he earned that extension. And Guenin hasn't been a liability either. Only once has he screwed up and allowed a goal (which is good considering that was happening on a game to every other game basis earlier). Ever since Redmond went out it's been EJ, Hedja and Stuart that have been giving up goals. I don't see those guys being benched.

And when is Everberg coming back? Cliche and Talbot are just redundant. They are the same player. We don't need both in the lineup.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Hoping for another strong outing by varlamov so some pressure is taken off of our other players who generally haven't shown up this season

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Except Hunwick was always top 2 for ice time and Holden is barely top 4 in ice time.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What? We're talking 3 games here. I thought Holden actually played pretty well against Chicago.

Redmond will get his chance again real soon. Roy doesn't like to sit his defensemen for a long time.

I don't see how it matters what Holden's play level was in a game where Varly won it for us essentially. Redmond was infinitely better for the past what, 10-15 games and he still got benched in favor of Holden.

Except Hunwick was always top 2 for ice time and Holden is barely top 4 in ice time.

Holden fluctuates about as much as Hunwick did in terms of ice time, thought Roy is doing a better job at keeping his ice time down of late now that Stuart is back.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The better question is how many posts will EJ hit tonight?

Being serial though. I think EJ finds the back of the net. I also think Duchene breaks his slump. Avs do well against Anderson.

I'm going to break my slump of negativity and say Avs get rolling and win this one 5-2 or 6-3.

Go Avs!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't see how it matters what Holden's play level was in a game where Varly won it for us essentially. Redmond was infinitely better for the past what, 10-15 games and he still got benched in favor of Holden.

Holden fluctuates about as much as Hunwick did in terms of ice time, thought Roy is doing a better job at keeping his ice time down of late now that Stuart is back.
Redmond got benched because he had an awful 2-3 game span at the end there. Holden was going to get back in eventually. He has a 3 year extension, the team is going to give him more chances to work it out. Just like Redmond will get another chance here real soon to get back in the lineup.

Holden really isn't playing all that much his last 9-10 games on defense. Roy has been doing a good job of not putting him out there too much.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Very purdy GDT!

Everberg isn't coming back until they are done with Rendulic IMO.

Might take awhile. He's looked like top 6 material in his stay thus far.

The problem is half of our top 6 still looks like bottom 6 players, so it's hard to get a gauge on his real abilities.

Hopefully he settles down a bit and starts shooting more, he made some poor decisions last game to opt for the pass on a good shooting chance. Also takes quick shots when he may have time. Its good to see he's upped his physicality from training camp though.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Redmond got benched because he had an awful 2-3 game span at the end there. Holden was going to get back in eventually. He has a 3 year extension, the team is going to give him more chances to work it out. Just like Redmond will get another chance here real soon to get back in the lineup.

Holden really isn't playing all that much his last 9-10 games on defense. Roy has been doing a good job of not putting him out there too much.

I'm cautiously optimistic this is Holden's sophomore slump.

He's shown moments of stronger play like pre-season and the playoffs last year. The whole team is struggling. He's shown he can play at this level. I still think he's likely a special third pairing LD. I think we'll see a turn around from him down the stretch and into next season. He may never be like he was last year but the only way to go is up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know there are a lot of people that really like Redmond, but he really isn't good defensively. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in over Holden, but it isn't like Redmond was playing at a level that screamed he should be an everyday player. They have a good amount invested in Holden and want him to get his game back to where it was at the end of last season.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Might take awhile. He's looked like top 6 material in his stay thus far.

The problem is half of our top 6 still looks like bottom 6 players, so it's hard to get a gauge on his real abilities.

Hopefully he settles down a bit and starts shooting more, he made some poor decisions last game to opt for the pass on a good shooting chance. Also takes quick shots when he may have time. Its good to see he's upped his physicality from training camp though.

That's hard to believe. He wasn't exactly putting AHL on fire. He will come down after his adrenaline goes down to normal.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
No kidding. I can't believe the short leash he is one. Dude was benched for a similar play as when General Guenin was born, except it wasn't a slow developing play like with Guenin. Did Guenin get benched? Nope. instead Iggy was blamed.

It's hard to put him back in now though. Holden has actually been playing pretty good since coming back. He is looking more like he did last year when he earned that extension. And Guenin hasn't been a liability either. Only once has he screwed up and allowed a goal (which is good considering that was happening on a game to every other game basis earlier). Ever since Redmond went out it's been EJ, Hedja and Stuart that have been giving up goals. I don't see those guys being benched.

And when is Everberg coming back? Cliche and Talbot are just redundant. They are the same player. We don't need both in the lineup.

Cliche and Talbot are on the 1st PK unit, and doing a pretty good job, actually the PK is one of the few bright spots this season. I doubt Roy is going to sit any of them, it would be stupid.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's hard to believe. He wasn't exactly putting AHL on fire. He will come down after his adrenaline goes down to normal.

I don't think so. I think Rendulic is one of the odd cases of playing better with better linemates. He's a skilled player, there's no denying that. He can fly, he can shoot, and he can be crafty with the puck too. It helps that he's got that adrenaline right now because he's getting in hard on the forecheck/backcheck and playing the body every chance he gets, something Roy told him to do more of in pre-season and he's clearly listened. I also love how he gets into the shooting lane to block shots, does it very well.

It's pretty early, but I have high hopes for Rendulic moving forward.

Side note, I think that we lose this game 5-3. Anderson has an ok game, but the Sens beat up on us because hey, we're .500, which means it's impossible to win tonight

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't think so. I think Rendulic is one of the odd cases of playing better with better linemates. He's a skilled player, there's no denying that. He can fly, he can shoot, and he can be crafty with the puck too. It helps that he's got that adrenaline right now because he's getting in hard on the forecheck/backcheck and playing the body every chance he gets, something Roy told him to do more of in pre-season and he's clearly listened. I also love how he gets into the shooting lane to block shots, does it very well.

It's pretty early, but I have high hopes for Rendulic moving forward.

Side note, I think that we lose this game 5-3. Anderson has an ok game, but the Sens beat up on us because hey, we're .500, which means it's impossible to win tonight

Ur slippin like summer tires on the Henday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad