GDT: Game 40: Oilers @ Coyotes - 1/2/2019 - 7:30 PM - FSAZ+ - Best of 2018 Edition

What was your favorite movie of 2018?

• Total voters

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
ToMuy2X.png

m1TjJmS.png

naPrU0U.png

v5L0GTX.png

9qclFdW.png

nbO4ahQ.png

NIaox8i.png

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Posting this early because I have stuff to do tomorrow.

Here's a link to the crossword pdf if you wish to download. Answer key included. Box

I don't live in AZ anymore. Has anyone been to Pa'La?

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Tell me your "other" and I'll add it to the poll.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The only on earth of those movies I saw was Game Night while it was pretty okay it was extremely stupid.

What year did the Revenant come out? That move was f***ing awesome. I thought the Lobster was pretty funny and enjoyed that watch. That Toby McGuire black comedy about cheating on his wife was very funny, too. What year is that from? I liked Dunkirk and Brooklyn a lot too.

EDIT: Damn, I just IMDBd and I’m off by like three years. Haha. I suck at watching movies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This was better than most will give it credit for being.

But I’m keeping my vote for Ready Player One.

I thought it was the best Star Wars movie since the original 3 and I am someone that really like the prequals. I enjoyed Ready Player One as well although some of it was a little too cartooney.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I thought it was the best Star Wars movie since the original 3 and I am someone that really like the prequals. I enjoyed Ready Player One as well although some of it was a little too cartooney.

I thought Rogue One was better than Solo, but liked them both.

To me, Ready Player One has a subtle commentary on the death of pop culture. When you look at pop culture today, many things that are “new” are just recycled “old”. Anything original is either overly manufactured, or is so niche/disposable/unspectacular that it doesn’t matter. At what point do we stop recycling pop culture, and just live in the past? Will it be the next cult of personality that tips us over the edge?

Also, I find the economics of that world interesting. It is like bitcoin mining through gameplay, rather than cold, untouched computing of today. It is a world where anyone with the skill to play can be successful in real life - a new version of the American dream.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Maybe add bohemian rhapsody and Deadpool 2? I'd vote for DP2, it was hilarious, had great action, and had surprisingly good serious moments.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I moonlight as a film blogger. Voted "Other." There are some good films from this year, but I don't think 2018 was a particular strong year in film.

Reactions: CLW

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I moonlight as a film blogger. Voted "Other." There are some good films from this year, but I don't think 2018 was a particular strong year in film.

So what's your favorite from 2018?

When I said it was a good year for movies, I meant movies that people want to watch and that ring the cash register. 2018 set a record for box office revenue.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I thought Rogue One was better than Solo, but liked them both.

To me, Ready Player One has a subtle commentary on the death of pop culture. When you look at pop culture today, many things that are “new” are just recycled “old”. Anything original is either overly manufactured, or is so niche/disposable/unspectacular that it doesn’t matter. At what point do we stop recycling pop culture, and just live in the past? Will it be the next cult of personality that tips us over the edge?

Also, I find the economics of that world interesting. It is like bitcoin mining through gameplay, rather than cold, untouched computing of today. It is a world where anyone with the skill to play can be successful in real life - a new version of the American dream.

I liked the story. I could totally see myself getting consumed by that world. And how much better shape would Americans, me included, be in if that existed so you had physical activity while playing it?

Reactions: Murf

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I voted for other.
The only film i was really moved and impressed by last year was "your name", eveb thought the film came out in 2016 but hre in germany he was in the cinema last year.
great film :D
The rest was meh.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So what's your favorite from 2018?

When I said it was a good year for movies, I meant movies that people want to watch and that ring the cash register. 2018 set a record for box office revenue.

It's hard to use "favorite" with this film as it's, for my money, the most terrifying and unflinchingly brutal American horror film since the Exorcist, but as a horror film hound, my pick for best film of 2018 is "Hereditary."

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's hard to use "favorite" with this film as it's, for my money, the most terrifying and unflinchingly brutal American horror film since the Exorcist, but as a horror film hound, my pick for best film of 2018 is "Hereditary."

Added.

I intentionally didn't ask for "best" film because I think best and favorite are two different things. To me, best implies good writing, directing, cinematography, etc. Where as "favorite" has more to do with enjoyment. Some of my favorite movies will never win awards in any category. Airheads is a good example.

Siskel and Ebert included Fast Times at Ridgemont High as one of their worst movies of 1982. As a sophomore in high school I thought it was quite enjoyable.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Added.

I intentionally didn't ask for "best" film because I think best and favorite are two different things.

I know what you asked, and intentionally answered the way I did regardless. :)

For the most part, though, "best" and "favorite" for me overlap with regards to film.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad