GDT: Game 40: LA @ COL | 6 PM MT | Dec 31, 2018 - NYE

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Ah shit...we've reached the point in the night where the neighbors 1/4 mile from here feel it necessary to scare the poop out of my pets. I almost feel like I should go out and return fire.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You know losses are gonna bring out the emos. That said....how can you not be emo after this streak?
Because I said at the beginning of the summer our weakest link was not having anything of competence on the second line. I'm not emo'd about it....I'm f***ing pissed off that Joe did nothing to help it.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Ah ****...we've reached the point in the night where the neighbors 1/4 mile from here feel it necessary to scare the poop out of my pets. I almost feel like I should go out and return fire.

Do what you gotta do.
If that means disappearing some neighbors, so be it.
We got your back, and an alibi that you were here all night.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm sorry...I can't blame a coach for their OT record when the team simply is not capable of winning in overtime.

Yeah, if we forced every other game to OT and sucked at it, then I would look at him...but the fact is Joe Sakic, needs to help this team...we need better wingers and a second line.

He has three options...continue to do nothing about it until he is fired, make a trade and take a chance or hope like hell this years draft fixes things. If he waits for the draft, and things don't improve next season, he's doomed. He's wasting the best contract in the league by sitting on his hands while he as assets at his disposal. We wasted the best of Paul Stastny's and Matt Duchene's years doing the same....We never identified our weaknesses and corrected them. At least at the GM level.
First thing he needs to do is explore trading Erik Johnson. Not sure what the hell you can get for him but the EJ train is an injury from getting completely derailed. Edmonton is looking for forwards perhaps Ghetto can go there not sure what we could get for him though maybe Chiarelli goes nuts and gives us someone like Khaira for him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He has effectively wasted another year on MacK's sweet-heart of a deal while he tried out line combo after line combo of incompetent 2nd line players. He's got to be better as a GM. Seriously....He won two cups...he would be embarassed as a player to run out with that second line...in fact he stuck his hand into the operating end of a snow blower to ensure he never had to play another game again because the team was so weak. I just wish he had the intestinal fortitude he had as a player now that he is a GM.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Because I said at the beginning of the summer our weakest link was not having anything of competence on the second line. I'm not emo'd about it....I'm ****ing pissed off that Joe did nothing to help it.
Well, yes and no. The Avs are a weird team that way. There's a lot of potential and not much as far as expectations. At least not until they exploded coming out. Kerfoot, Compher, Jost are solid prospects. Wilson and Soderberg are, ideally, veteran threats. Problem is, no one has really grabbed those slots. I like that Sakic held firm. I think that the early success gave all of us an inflated sense of who the Avs are. If Colorado is close in February, make some moves. And hope that some depth appears over the summer. The guys are there.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
Maybe the Avs are taking these games against bottom dwellers to OT and losing on purpose? Put those teams further ahead of Ottawa :)

Reactions: MacBradley

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Call me drunk (I'm pretty drunk, but not gone), but I kinda don't trust EJ after that interview. I won't make a thing of it as that would be dumb, but my gut tells me he's checked out.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Maybe the Avs are taking these games against bottom dwellers to OT and losing on purpose? Put those teams further ahead of Ottawa :)
Regardless of how ridiculous that is, as a fan I'd still rather lose in first round than get Hayes. Ideally, go to the WCF and get Hayes, but let's be reality.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It is insane we're somehow still third in the Division. Honestly it's kind of embarrassing.
We've squandered a huge opportunity to solidify a top 3 spot. Now we're going to have to fight all the way to the end. Just ridiculous.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, yes and no. The Avs are a weird team that way. There's a lot of potential and not much as far as expectations. At least not until they exploded coming out. Kerfoot, Compher, Jost are solid prospects. Wilson and Soderberg are, ideally, veteran threats. Problem is, no one has really grabbed those slots. I like that Sakic held firm. I think that the early success gave all of us an inflated sense of who the Avs are. If Colorado is close in February, make some moves. And hope that some depth appears over the summer. The guys are there.
I disagree....Joe knew he had a leathal combination up front with Landy-MacK-Rants

He knew secondary scoring was a problem....He did absolutely nothing to bolster it. Nothing...Nadda...Zip. This is on him.

It was a failure. He helped the D...which was already improving and by the way, I love the signing of Cole....That being said, not getting a 2nd line player is unforgivable. If he didn't know he needed at least one, he completely forgot how much pressure Forsberg took off him by being on a different line. He's either stupid or incompetent. There were deals to be made and he shit the bed....yes, we are not ready to compete right now, but now I fear we are another one and done bubble team. We should have been pushing for the second round this season. Not sure that is possibly the way this team is playing and considering the lack of scoring depth.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Rantanen has been trash lately, especially this game. He lost a board battle in OT when we could've gotten possession. Can't seem to hang onto the puck at all.

Really unsure about that big contract he's about to get.

Reactions: StayPuft39

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I disagree....Joe knew he had a leathal combination up front with Landy-MacK-Rants

He knew secondary scoring was a problem....He did absolutely nothing to bolster it. Nothing...Nadda...Zip. This is on him.

It was a failure. He helped the D...which was already improving and by the way, I love the signing of Cole....That being said, not getting a 2nd line player is unforgivable. If he didn't know he needed at least one, he completely forgot how much pressure Forsberg took off him by being on a different line. He's either stupid or incompetent. There were deals to be made and he **** the bed....yes, we are not ready to compete right now, but now I fear we are another one and done bubble team. We should have been pushing for the second round this season. Not sure that is possibly the way this team is playing and considering the lack of scoring depth.
OK, but what player should he have gotten that was a solid 2nd line guy who would fit both ice and cap-wise? Who was out there UFA? Or what trade should he had made thinking Colorado was a bubble team going into the year?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

It was a failure. He helped the D...which was already improving and by the way, I love the signing of Cole....That being said, not getting a 2nd line player is unforgivable. If he didn't know he needed at least one, he completely forgot how much pressure Forsberg took off him by being on a different line. He's either stupid or incompetent. There were deals to be made and he **** the bed....yes, we are not ready to compete right now, but now I fear we are another one and done bubble team. We should have been pushing for the second round this season. Not sure that is possibly the way this team is playing and considering the lack of scoring depth.
[edit....Please don read my post as just another angry post after a loss....I normally don't post in GDTs. I'm just sick and tired of this team not having the tools necessary to take the next step. I don't recommend using them all in one shot, but seriously....we need help....the GM should be getting it for them....he wasted FA in summer and now he needs to do something....it's on Joe]

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
[edit....Please don read my post as just another angry post after a loss....I normally don't post in GDTs. I'm just sick and tired of this team not having the tools necessary to take the next step. I don't recommend using them all in one shot, but seriously....we need help....the GM should be getting it for them....he wasted FA in summer and now he needs to do something....it's on Joe]
You got enough history I'm not thinking that. I just always see your name and remember I hate Texas.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Didnt hate that line tonight especially Dries. GBork just should not be on this team on a regular.
What pisses me off beyond belief is playing that ineffective smurf over and over again and not even giving someone like Greer a 15-20 game shot. Seriously WTF do they have to lose? Sakic bought some reprieve w the Duchene trade but I’d argue his drafting is still average at best, same w coaching hires and if it wasnt for the stupidity of other GMs his trade history would be even worse. And lastly PLEASE send Jost to the minors. He is doing absolutely no good right now and the only hope left is he can mature and build confidence w the Eagles.... sorry for the rant team just seems so much farther from success than failure at the moment. Happy New Year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad