GDT: Game 40: Kings @ Avs | Monday, January 4th, 7pm MT (NBCSN) | Forever 599

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I don't get why Comeau has become a go to faceoff guy, but he's doing OK with it, I guess. He's already taken 202 faceoffs this year. Before this season, he'd only ever hit 100 faceoffs in a season once.

Barrie was all over the ice tonight. He'll get paid.

I thought Grigs found Iggy a few times tonight for some good chances, and they had some chemistry. The give and go they had entering the zone in the second period was beautiful. He almost fed Barrie for the hat trick late in the game too.

I want to punch Tanguay in the face right now.

Varly looked really bored in the second period before he took that penalty. Not often you can say that.

It's hilarious that Guenin finished a 31% possession player and Redmond a 68% player considering they spent half the game together.

:highclap:Lolz about tangs - I agree he's being a ninnymuggin, just floating out there. Also agree on Grigs and Barrie.

I haven't watched too many games recently so perhaps this is a recent trend, but it seemed to me like the Avs had a bit more aggression out there with a lot of people finishing checks. McLeod did his job well last night, he and Skille playing like that on a line is just a beautiful bundle of energy (and I'm far from a fervent McLeod supporter). Also must add that Martinsen seems to be progressing nicely. He is starting to get stronger and more confident, it seems like sometimes he just grins at the other guys (e.g. Martinez) trying to rough him up after the whistle and shrugs it off because he knows he would just speedbag 'em if he wanted.

It was nice to see the Avs actually outplay their opponent and get a win at home. Now if we could just add that Drouin guy :sarcasm:

Last edited:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
It is nice to win, its funny too we seem to not be doing the one point goal games, either we are taking it too the other team, or we fail to show up entirely.. I cannot imagine the patience required by the coaches with this behavior...

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
When this team is healthy, Mitchell should never be anywhere other than the 4th line. Just leave him there and let him do his thing.

Grigorenko has been a mainstay on the PK for a few weeks now, which is one way for him to stay in the lineup. Seems he's found a bit of a niche there, as he's done well and has used his reach to break up some plays. Made a nice play to stop a potential goal late in the game last night. Next step for him is to be more aggressive offensively, particularly shooting. He did have a nice rush up the ice in the first but his shot got blocked.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
When this team is healthy, Mitchell should never be anywhere other than the 4th line. Just leave him there and let him do his thing.

Grigorenko has been a mainstay on the PK for a few weeks now, which is one way for him to stay in the lineup. Seems he's found a bit of a niche there, as he's done well and has used his reach to break up some plays. Made a nice play to stop a potential goal late in the game last night. Next step for him is to be more aggressive offensively, particularly shooting. He did have a nice rush up the ice in the first but his shot got blocked.

McLeod-Mitchell-Skille is a deadly fourth line as well. Possession wise, provide energy and are respectable defensively.

Grigs has been gaining more and more confidence it seems, and has been shooting a bit more. I believe he had two or three shots in the Calgary game. I think he's already above average defensively as he can anticipate and read the game well and rarely looks lost. I like the kid.

Grigs, Skille, Barrie, Duchene and Varly looked very good to me. Big game against the Blues next game, I believe they've lost their last two?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
McLeod-Mitchell-Skille is a deadly fourth line as well. Possession wise, provide energy and are respectable defensively.

Grigs has been gaining more and more confidence it seems, and has been shooting a bit more. I believe he had two or three shots in the Calgary game. I think he's already above average defensively as he can anticipate and read the game well and rarely looks lost. I like the kid.

Grigs, Skille, Barrie, Duchene and Varly looked very good to me. Big game against the Blues next game, I believe they've lost their last two?

I kind of see Greg taking the ROR route of development. He'll have a few good offensive games here and there, but for the most part he will be a good, safe player to have out there. As he adjusts to the speed of the game more and more I think we will see him take more chances offensively. The big thing is to let him make some mistakes.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It seems unlikely it will play out like this, but there is a chance the Avs could be chasing the Blues and Nashville. The Blues have played more games than the rest of the Central, and I believe all the teams except Winnipeg and Colorado could potentially pass (or at least tie) the Blues. Again, unlikely but it should make tomorrow's game all the more important.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Assuming they need 96 to make a wildcard slot, they have to go .750ish, right? Yikes.

They need 55pts in 42 games for a 96 point finish, which is ahead of Nashville's current pace of 95pts.

Some records that get them those 55 points:

27-14-1
22-9-11
23-10-9
24-11-7
25-12-5
26-13-3
and the craziest
13-0-29

Over the last 10, they have gone 6-2-2, which if they continued that pace for the remainder of the season, they would finish with 100 points.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are doing a better job moving the puck on the PP. Less sloppy passing and the players are moving a bit better, making it harder for the PK to put pressure on the guy with the puck. As a result Avs get more pucks to the net and when they have traffic good things happen. Duchene has been excellent the last couple of months on the PP.

I don't think it's luck that the PP has gotten more goals lately. It's a much better PP than in October.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As of now the Avs have the tiebreaker over Nashville, and I really doubt that Nashville finishes in the mid 90s. Nashville started out very hot, but as their scoring died and Rinne played some games, they have dropped off. They will finish in the low 90s at best if they don't make a big trade like a Staal or RyJo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad