GDT: Game 40: Kings @ Avs | Monday, January 4th, 7pm MT (NBCSN) | Forever 599

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't get why Comeau has become a go to faceoff guy, but he's doing OK with it, I guess. He's already taken 202 faceoffs this year. Before this season, he'd only ever hit 100 faceoffs in a season once.

Barrie was all over the ice tonight. He'll get paid.

I thought Grigs found Iggy a few times tonight for some good chances, and they had some chemistry. The give and go they had entering the zone in the second period was beautiful. He almost fed Barrie for the hat trick late in the game too.

I want to punch Tanguay in the face right now.

Varly looked really bored in the second period before he took that penalty. Not often you can say that.

It's hilarious that Guenin finished a 31% possession player and Redmond a 68% player considering they spent half the game together.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
What else happened tonight?

In Game

Barrie, 1st star of the game, Iggy 2nd star...

NHL.com

Iggy 1st star of the night, Barrie no where :laugh: .. but they got Mrazek at 2nd star with a 22 save SO against NJ (over Talbot with a 29 save SO against the higher scoring Canes)..... and Bobby Ryan at 3rd star with 2 G and 1 A

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well, standard Avs tonight. Crush a team that should probably lose to. This team just boggles my mind. Talk about playing to your competition. We elevate our games when we play the good teams and when we play teams that we should beat especially at home we sink to their level and get crushed. This team needs to learn how to just give a consistent effort.

Roenick nailed it on the post game show, if the Avs can play like they did tonight on a night in night out basis they are going to win a bunch more games. They are clearly capable of giving this type of effort, the leaders on this team need to step up and make this effort level the norm.

Obviously you're not going to just win because you give a good honest effort, but it does make things a bit easier if you're playing hard every single night.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I still find it amusing, in a bad way, that even though Grigorenko centred Iginla and Tanguay, and Mitchell centred McLeod and Skille, the ice-time allocations were:

14:50- Tanguay
13:38- Mitchell
13:05- Iginla
10:57- McLeod
10:48- Grigorenko
9:44- Skille

Grigorenko only had 54 seconds of PK time less than Mitchell, too. 2:04 to Mitchell's 2:58. To me, what's extremely interesting is that Roy used the McLeod-Mitchell-Skille line at even strength almost 2 minutes more than he did Tanguay-Grigorenko-Iginla.

Maybe Grigorenko didn't get promoted to the 3rd line, maybe Tanguay and Iginla got demoted to the 4th line but kept their PP time lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I still find it amusing, in a bad way, that even though Grigorenko centred Iginla and Tanguay, and Mitchell centred McLeod and Skille, the ice-time allocations were:

Grigorenko only had 54 seconds of PK time less than Mitchell, too. 2:04 to Mitchell's 2:58. To me, what's extremely interesting is that Roy used the McLeod-Mitchell-Skille line at even strength almost 2 minutes more than he did Tanguay-Grigorenko-Iginla.

Maybe Grigorenko didn't get promoted to the 3rd line, maybe Tanguay and Iginla got demoted to the 4th line but kept their PP time lol

The game sheets were really odd. Soda's line didn't play for almost the first 5 minutes of the third, just the way Roy rolled the lines.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Fun fact. Our top 2 PK forwards (total TOI) played a grand total of 3 and 18 minutes respectively on it last season. Name them?

Mitchell and Mcloed?

McLeod's been pretty much a mainstay on one of the PK units for a while now.

I'm pretty sure Landy is one of them, because he somehow wasn't used that much last year. The other I'd guess is Soda because he seems to always be out there. Maybe Boston had lots of other guys they could lean on. Outside chance it's Mack, he was getting a lot of PK time early on this year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm pretty sure Landy is one of them, because he somehow wasn't used that much last year. The other I'd guess is Soda because he seems to always be out there. Maybe Boston had lots of other guys they could lean on.

Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Campbell, Paille all come to mind as players who likely were used instead of Soderberg in Boston on the PK

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

They were protecting the lead and much better options than Tangs and Iggy in that role. Also, that line was really clicking well like it did earlier in the year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I'm pretty sure Landy is one of them, because he somehow wasn't used that much last year. The other I'd guess is Soda because he seems to always be out there. Maybe Boston had lots of other guys they could lean on. Outside chance it's Mack, he was getting a lot of PK time early on this year.

For some reason I thought he had to be with the avs last year then I'd say Soda is for sure there, considering he's the top guy they use for pk. It seems anyway.

Speaking of the PK, Skille is being wasted... he needs more minutes. Think he'd be good on the pk, not sure what Mcloed does to warrant playing on the pk.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For some reason I thought he had to be with the avs last year then I'd say Soda is for sure there, considering he's the top guy they use for pk. It seems anyway.

Him and Comeau have been the top duo for a while now. He might be the other, not sure what his minutes were last year.

They seem to really share each others brain out there at times too. Pretty solid chemistry.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Soda and Comeau is correct

I'm a tad surprised Landy wasn't one, but now that I think about it, I haven't seen him as much as I did earlier in the year, and he did miss some games. I wonder if they limited his time a bit when his injuries started to catch up to him too.

Soda and Comeau have been great though. Really great at anticipating and breaking up plays up high, especially early on in penalty kills. Just inside and outside the blueline. That's how they're getting so many shorthanded chances.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
"Gorgeous Tangerine Wrecking Ball" is easily the quote of this thread.

Also, it's true that Picks congratulated Martinsen and yes it needs to be gif'd. That's one of the more amazing things that's ever happened :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Martinsen is so tanned that Captain Pickard thought he was black. Acceptable mistake for a backup goalie not paying any attention to the play. :laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Martinsen is so tanned that Captain Pickard thought he was black. Acceptable mistake for a backup goalie not paying any attention to the play. :laugh:

The best part is that he never even realized the difference afterwards. He hugged Marty and skated back to the bench :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad