GDT: Game 40: Kings @ Avs | Monday, January 4th, 7pm MT (NBCSN) | Forever 599

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Assuming they need 96 to make a wildcard slot, they have to go .750ish, right? Yikes.

They just need to play 4 points better than Nashville the rest of the way. The Central will most likely be getting both wild card spots and Nashville seems like the team to catch.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Missed the game. Damn.

Congrats Iggy!

What else happened tonight?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I walk better when I use my feet.

Agreed, should be noted, but it's an obvious thing. You go play big boys like the Kings and you have no choice but to raise your game physically.

It's easier when you have gorgeous tangerine wrecking balls like Martinsen, though.

Is not something they do all the time and it's a new direction for them too. Everyone makes the size queen jokes, well that's part of the plan too.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Missed the game. Damn.

Congrats Iggy!

What else happened tonight?

Tyson Barrie balled out of control. EJ left hurt. MacK was sluggish. Varly solid but we actually controlled the play and he didn't have a difficult night. Matched them physically. Iggy got an ugly one. Tanguay only had 1 offside. Barrie beasted. Comeau was surprisingly ace on draws. Mitchell took a puck to the face, was down for a bit, then came back. Holden was a monster in our own zone, dropping dudes like mini hamburgers. Beauchemin was a rock. Oh lawd Barrie was good. Pickard must not have been paying attention to what happened because he congratulated Martinsen instead of Iginla(lol). Oh, and Tyson Barrie completely dominated the play whenever he was on the ice. Don't know if I mentioned that.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I just looked at the box score.

Can you guys explain to me why Blake Comeau is on your team's power play? :shakehead I can't imagine that's a good thing.

Congrats to Iggy on 600 :yo:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just looked at the box score.

Can you guys explain to me why Blake Comeau is on your team's power play? :shakehead I can't imagine that's a good thing.

Congrats to Iggy on 600 :yo:

Comeau can actually win a faceoff from time to time... this team has issues with this, especially from the right side.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yet, Barrie won them the game so?

As a fan of midgets, you should know that your smaller players will excel when the rest of their team are banging and making a physical impact. Open up space and provide time for your skill players by slowing the opposition down with the body. That's what we did for Barrie.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Tyson Barrie balled out of control. EJ left hurt. MacK was sluggish. Varly solid but we actually controlled the play and he didn't have a difficult night. Matched them physically. Iggy got an ugly one. Tanguay only had 1 offside. Barrie beasted. Comeau was surprisingly ace on draws. Mitchell took a puck to the face, was down for a bit, then came back. Holden was a monster in our own zone, dropping dudes like mini hamburgers. Beauchemin was a rock. Oh lawd Barrie was good. Pickard must not have been paying attention to what happened because he congratulated Martinsen instead of Iginla(lol). Oh, and Tyson Barrie completely dominated the play whenever he was on the ice. Don't know if I mentioned that.

and tangs offside was a classic blooper reel quality

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Thanks! That's good to hear. Well, except for that part about EJ. I'm guessing there's no update on him yet?

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Wow! Was at the game. Give Tyson whatever money he needs to stay. Took over the game tonight. I wore my Blake jersey tonight and he repped the number well.

Also thought these were possibly the most balanced lines I've watched all season.

Iggy played well besides the goal. Glad he got 600 and awesome to see in person. Now our PP can operate normally. Seemed like everyone else on the PP was afraid to try to score with him on ice except Barrie.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As a fan of midgets, you should know that your smaller players will excel when the rest of their team are banging and making a physical impact. Open up space and provide time for your skill players by slowing the opposition down with the body. That's what we did for Barrie.

They opened up space by making tape to tape passes on the pp and his 2nd was due to Muzzin and an incompetent goalie. Nobody made any hits.:P

I don't really disagree with what you said but the whole size queen thing is getting old. You don't even have to be big to make solid checks.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Maybe Barrie heard the Drouin for Barrie rumors (ie. Me) and got spooked ala Dutchy into playing unreal. :sarcasm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That was a great effort game by the Avs, I thought Skille's game got shadowed over by Iginla and Barrie, his hustle is just through the roof.

I am not trying to be too negative because Avs did play a perfect road game as Foppa said, but I am seeing too many idiotic loss of possession of the puck. I am not talking about corsi, or any other of the overrated analytic numbers, I am a fan of the eye test with a hockey mind. But the Avs are completely ******** when it comes to this. As many of you here are watching the IIHF U20, the Russians are just so damn good at not throwing it away cheaply. I guarantee if we took just this particular Russian team, went into the future until all of them were 25 or 26 years old with the same coaching, they would absolute dominate this Avs team. Not because of a lack of talent or skill from the Avs, but just how smart the Russians play.

In this game, Holden in particular made some of the dumbest plays. I understand there are times you need to throw the puck away in desperation, but Avs just do it way too much. I noticed that Holden contributed to at least 4-6 of these plays in just the 2nd period alone; plays that could have been executed more intelligently than just throwing it blindly back to the Kings. And its not only Holden; Tanguay is another player who just goes into full Simple Jack mode when it comes to defense and the slightest physical touch. Beauchemin, Stuart, Redmond, Malkin, Iginla, Landeskog, and Comeau (at times) are also other players who I've noticed do it quite a bit. Not mentioning Guenin here because he normally loses the puck when it touches his stick the first millisecond.

I would say that Duchene, Barrie, EJ, and not surprisingly Grigorenko are perhaps the best when it comes to intelligently knowing when to keep the puck for possession (during all times including line changes) and when to dish it off to reset. Grigorenko isn't bad because, well he's Russian and grew up throughout minor hockey about constantly possessing the puck. I am mentioning this because I don't believe Avs won't even come close to competing for the Cup until Avs do a combination of both...getting more talented players with a high level of hockey intelligence (Zadorov, Rantanen, and Bigras can all help this). Moreover, Roy becoming a smarter coach to have the knowledge of the players he has to work with (AKA lack of skill), and how this constant trying to stretch out the play won't work all the time.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We don't know much. Roy pulled the old "I haven't talked to the trainer yet". There was a pic of him standing looking fine for Iggy in the dressing room.

Nice. Then the game tonight was a solid win on all fronts. Even a TBay scout was in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad