GDT: GAME 40| Halfway to Heaven and a Mile Outta Hell | Bruins vs. Canes 1/4/15 1 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I don't disagree with you on the sentiment, but think it's unfair to call on season ticket holders for that.

I am furious with this team and with this management. Change needs to happen, and to be honest I hope they lose this game today because, IMO, losing back to back to these 2 teams puts us in full-on panic city mode and that's what's needed for change. This team, as currently constructed and with 40 games in the books to measure, is going nowhere fast. It's time to change, and it's time to be sellers.

We are so used to being on the buyers end of things because we have always been in contention. Those high deadline and in-season prices we always complain about? Let's be the benefactors of those buy selling some pieces off in season. The core isn't hopeless, I don't think a complete overhaul is necessary, and if PC plays this season and the offseason right, can be right back to a playoff team next year.

Regarding the season ticket holder piece, what I think you're alluding to is that season ticket holders should give up their seats to speak with their wallets. Not a chance. Buying tickets was one of the first things we did when we could afford it after college, and it's something that we truly enjoy. This team will be good again, and I don't intend to give up my seats and miss out on that. I'm not going to skip games to keepers building empty, because why should I eat $100 to prove a point that won't even be received?

Finally, there's still a market for tickets. The last 3 games we have had to sell have gone for $90 -$130 on Stubhub. Our face is $50. Giving up our tickets is not something we would even consider unless there was s prolonged period where we either weren't using them and were taking a loss.

It sucks now, but it will get better, and I fully intend to be there.

Your 'panic mode' explanation is what I was after almost exclusively with my post.

And no, to be perfectly honest, the season ticket holders would be the only exclusion from what I was trying to get across. By no means should someone(s) who has made a significant investment in this team forgo that investment out of spite - talk about lose-lose, the organization is out nothing (on paper), and the investor is out everything.

I think you may have hit on a very good tangent point - the fact that such a significant portion of an organization's revenue is season ticket based (why do I have the number 80% in my head?) means they are even less inclined to make significant moves, feeling they have until next season (and with it a new marketing plan/ploy) to recoup their lost fan confidence.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
A little perspective is probably required for Bruins' fans this season. Nearly everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this season; from injuries, to poor performance, to mistakes (even from seasoned veterans, not just the kids), to an officiating conspiracy ;) to bad "puck luck" the B's have endured a hellacious half-season so far.

And yet, they're only 9 points out of second place in the Division and fourth in the Conference. Contrast that with today's opponent, who is in the league's cellar and is 26 points out of that same position.

Is it bad? Relative to their recent high standards, you're darn right it's bad. But these guys have the talent, experience, and history to turn the ship around and make a strong run in the playoffs. That's what I'm hanging my hat on, anyway. :)

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't jive with what I think is the reality. The injuries haven't been devastating or season-ending. Lots of teams every year spend some time without their top players.

And poor performance isn't something going wrong as though it is bad luck. It is the very definition of bad play. The cause is almost insignificant. If your players play bad then the GM picked the wrong guys, or the coach isn't using them right/motivating them, or they don't care. No matter, what, that isn't "going wrong" that is "not being good."

Same goes for "mistakes." Chris Kelly having three horrible turnovers that ultimately led to game-winning goals isn't bad luck, it is an older, mediocre player being on the ice in too many crucial situations.

The GM put together a team with too many average to below-average players, mismanaged the cap, and made trades/moves that hurt the current roster, all while the coach has had his worst season since being hired, and some players have decided they couldn't be bothered to give an honest effort.

That isn't bad luck. That isn't "everything that could go wrong has." That is just poor performance from all three levels of the team.

Can things get better? Sure. But it won't be because luck turns around, it will be because those three levels start doing a better job.

Kranium

Mar 9, 2014
Arvika, Sweden
I don't disagree with you on the sentiment, but think it's unfair to call on season ticket holders for that.

I am furious with this team and with this management. Change needs to happen, and to be honest I hope they lose this game today because, IMO, losing back to back to these 2 teams puts us in full-on panic city mode and that's what's needed for change. This team, as currently constructed and with 40 games in the books to measure, is going nowhere fast. It's time to change, and it's time to be sellers.

We are so used to being on the buyers end of things because we have always been in contention. Those high deadline and in-season prices we always complain about? Let's be the benefactors of those buy selling some pieces off in season. The core isn't hopeless, I don't think a complete overhaul is necessary, and if PC plays this season and the offseason right, can be right back to a playoff team next year.

Regarding the season ticket holder piece, what I think you're alluding to is that season ticket holders should give up their seats to speak with their wallets. Not a chance. Buying tickets was one of the first things we did when we could afford it after college, and it's something that we truly enjoy. This team will be good again, and I don't intend to give up my seats and miss out on that. I'm not going to skip games to keepers building empty, because why should I eat $100 to prove a point that won't even be received?

Finally, there's still a market for tickets. The last 3 games we have had to sell have gone for $90 -$130 on Stubhub. Our face is $50. Giving up our tickets is not something we would even consider unless there was s prolonged period where we either weren't using them and were taking a loss.

It sucks now, but it will get better, and I fully intend to be there.

I hope they win, but a part of me wants them to loose so that something happens! But im afraid that some of my favourite player/s will be heading out of town...

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
The GM put together a team with too many average to below-average players, mismanaged the cap, and made trades/moves that hurt the current roster, all while the coach has had his worst season since being hired, and some players have decided they couldn't be bothered to give an honest effort.

I mean, I might differ slightly by saying he's allowed the roster to morph INTO how you've described it versus specifically putting it together in that fashion, but that might be semantics, cause......yeah.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
A little perspective is probably required for Bruins' fans this season. Nearly everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this season; from injuries, to poor performance, to mistakes (even from seasoned veterans, not just the kids), to an officiating conspiracy ;) to bad "puck luck" the B's have endured a hellacious half-season so far.

And yet, they're only 9 points out of second place in the Division and fourth in the Conference. Contrast that with today's opponent, who is in the league's cellar and is 26 points out of that same position.

Is it bad? Relative to their recent high standards, you're darn right it's bad. But these guys have the talent, experience, and history to turn the ship around and make a strong run in the playoffs. That's what I'm hanging my hat on, anyway. :)

Wow you summed up all the excuses in one..no other team goes through this..its just the Bruins.. :shakehead

I'm tired of excuses..from fans and players..hell even the coach that blamed last game on bad luck. Time to put on your big boy pants, suck it up, stop talking about it and play like you give a crap.. FOR MORE THAN ONE GAME!!

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean, I might differ slightly by saying he's allowed the roster to morph INTO how you've described it versus specifically putting it together in that fashion, but that might be semantics, cause......yeah.

When you sign a guy like Chris Kelly to a deal with some term and give him a NMC that's what you end up with.

Was Gregory Campbell this bad when he signed the deal? No. But that's part of the GM's job, understand who a guy will be as he ages.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 35s
Lucic: "Enough with the talking. It’s time to start playing the way that I can & the way that I know I can" ^JI

Hopefully he means it and it isn't more talk.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
When you sign a guy like Chris Kelly to a deal with some term and give him a NMC that's what you end up with.

Was Gregory Campbell this bad when he signed the deal? No. But that's part of the GM's job, understand who a guy will be as he ages.

Yeah, you're right. I think that's what I'm saying - he's failed incredibly at the last element of your post. That, alongside with a pigheaded refusal to change his stance.

Kranium

Mar 9, 2014
Arvika, Sweden
Lucic: "Enough with the talking. It’s time to start playing the way that I can & the way that I know I can" ^JI

im i the only one that gets a little excited by this comment?

trudatman*

how was it determined that Lucic and Marchand are swapping lines? I can't find a reference point on that.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 35s

Hopefully he means it and it isn't more talk.

Well its better than the bs stuff Bergeron was saying yesterday. Typical Clode banter.

Tuukka said the truth. Lucic is saying the truth. Time for the rest of the team to wake up!

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
2 - 0 Hurricanes? One PP goal and one goal against the 4th line.

What's the over under on Claude going back to the starting lines from yesterday?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I likely won't watch all of this one tonight. I gotta pick my games carefully due to bandwidth restrictions.

Wow just saw where you were located. Props to you my man, you are a hardier soul than I.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yuck. I wanted to see him back for at least a few games.

Kirk said on the Hub Hockey Show that they would keep him in Providence for the rest of the year, get stronger over the summer and give him a chance to compete next year. There's really no reason to play him up here now. Maybe if more injuries occur we'll see him.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yuck. I wanted to see him back for at least a few games.

I can't imagine he's not coming back. In fact, IIRC, Clode and/or Chia said he'd definitely be back after the Juniors - and, obviously, they couldn't count on him being done until the 5th.

And look at his schedule: games on 26, 27, 29, 31, 2. In a period where the Bruins played 3 games, Pasta played 5. I don't know much about the Czech team, but I imagine he had to be getting serious minutes. Giving him some time to recuperate is good - especially since we really shouldn't need him against Carolina.

Overall, I think it's a paper transaction; he has to be coming back soon. Maybe for practice on Tuesday and travel to Pittsburgh. I do kind of hope we get him against the Penguins. I love watching him play, even if his first NHL shift was about 3 seconds long because Crosby hit the ice.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Some nights I miss the games where the Garden wasn't full but the fans there were really into the game and weren't there to get drunk and try to get on the Jumbtron. I know with success you get many new and return fans and most of that is good...

The Jumbotron thing… People go crazy to get on camera. It's over the top. But I think that is separate from the excessive drinking that goes on at games. I think that those particular individuals who are getting drunk would probably be doing the same thing at home.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Kirk said on the Hub Hockey Show that they would keep him in Providence for the rest of the year, get stronger over the summer and give him a chance to compete next year. There's really no reason to play him up here now. Maybe if more injuries occur we'll see him.

Really? Shoot. I was misinformed, apparently. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad