GDT: GAME 4 Play-Ins Penguins "at" Canadiens 4PM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I think Murray has played pretty well and us being down outside of game 1 isn't his fault. We should've been up 2-1 and he got beat point blank on a couple and we were sloppy defensively.

However, whoever said that this is to get the team a kick in the pants is right. The team usually plays more confident in front of Jarry and seems to play FOR him more so than Murray, so it should pay off.

I do want to see Marleau scratched though...put in E-Rod and get that man's motor going. And obv scratch Johnson. Switching up the D-pairings would also provide some benefit I think

Zucker-Sid-Sheary/Horny
Guentz-G-Rust
Lafferty-Rod-Sheary/Horny
Tanev-Bleugs-ZAR

Petts-Letang
Dumo-Marino
Ruh-Schultz

Reactions: EightyOne

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
So, if it ends today, ummm Congo watch a long tomorrow?
We discuss the pros and cons of snapping into a Slim Jim?
Or do we just watch that classic MST3K episode on The Final Sacrifice, and drink every time the name "Rowsdower" is spoken?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Playing Jarry is the right move. When's the last time a team benched an all star goalie?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Well...we either win and keep this thing going, or we get a 1/8 shot at a franchise player.

It's a better outlook than we're ever likely to see again in a playoff series. The prospect of that consolation prize is definitely keeping me from getting too high or low with wins/losses.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So, if it ends today, ummm Congo watch a long tomorrow?
We discuss the pros and cons of snapping into a Slim Jim?
Or do we just watch that classic MST3K episode on The Final Sacrifice, and drink every time the name "Rowsdower" is spoken?

(classic) MST3k is my favorite show, don't make me go with my MST Letang avatar.

Being Sid's birthday today I highly expect the penguins to come out flying.... if they lose on sid's birthday....
I don't see it happening

Reactions: Darkwing Psyduck

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Looking forward to the many "I told you we should have stuck with Murray" posts, if Jarry has a bad game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771 much like me likes to play the devil's advocate.

Anyone blaming Murray for where we are at in this series is blind as a bat. He could have been better, but he deserved the start and isn't the reason we are down 2-1.

Jarry probably should've got the start in G1 given his camp, but it would've been a bad move long term for the franchise if they want to retain Murray. I doubt they do now, but I dunno people are complaining to complain.

Exactly, and what makes it worse is that some on this site can't tell the difference between "playing devil's advocate" and "defending a player". Look at the Johnson/Riikola discussion, Johnson is horrible but me saying "swapping Johnson for Riikola probably wouldn't have changed game 3" is interpreted as me defending Johnson for some reason. Everything is so damn black and white with some people on here, where any sort of nuance in a discussion counts as arguing against their position.

Murray should have completely started in this series based on his past track record. Murray absolutely shouldn't have been pulled after game 1 because the loss wasn't his fault and he didn't play poorly. But at this point, the team has their backs up against a wall and they need to make some sort of change, plus Murray had a pretty poor game in game 3. It makes total sense to make the change now. But apparently criticizing bad takes by people shitting on Murray means I'm a Murray fanboy or something.

Reactions: 2wayPlay

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
How has this happened? :laugh: It was so obvious BEFORE he signed. How seriously has this happened. This dude is one of a f***ing kind.

True.. but I really think Murray's case is different. The story, I believe, was that his father told him he was feeling better in the hospital and Murray went back to business. Then his father passed away. Am i wrong? I think that's what happened.

So goalies don't get to lose confidence or take time off like 2015 Sid or 2018 Rust or I can name like 10,000 variations of this. Goalies have to be on. And to be on 24/7, it takes a deep deep deep focus that is borderline psychotic in nature. And these goalies do it, amazingly. That's why they always say goalies are the strangest types of people.

But imagine life is going so perfect. 2 Cups, a longterm sweetheart, dogs, everything just perfect. And like a snap of the finger your father won't get to watch you get married. Your father will never be a grandpa to your kids. Your father will never see you play another game. So when he loses confidence, it's probably like a slippery slope.

And that's why my heart is so heavy for #30. He talked to his father and thought it was going to be okay only to have his world turned upside down. That's hard to come out of.

I will play devil's advocate here a bit, and that is not to say I feel for MM as well (and I am MM doubter) Thing is everyone loses parents sooner or later. It is a fact of life. They die young (my niece and nephew were 2 when their mom died) Other players lose parents as well. It is when this happens that you get to see mentally strong from mentally week person. Look at Marty St. Louis from several years ago. His mom died when playoffs were about to start in 2014. He had really good series and playoffs. He took what happened and channeled it into something amazing, something that helped him still be a really good player. That death was sudden and very unexpected, MMs father was not. It is never easy, thats for sure, but I think it shows a bit what his mental state in general is when his play went completely downhill since this happened. I would understand if it was for remainder of that season and maybe pats of next, but this has happened 3 years ago, it is time for him to either put that hurt behind him and get his career back in line, or keep throwing away what could have been a great career and perish. He has his whole life to look towards to, gf, getting married, becoming father himself and so on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh Murray is gone now.

And he's got zero value now.

NEAT lol

To be fair, Grubauer was pulled in 2018 after starting 2 playoff games in place of Holtby, but he still brought back a good return in the off-season.

Just like McCann getting scratched, I don't think this impacts Murray's value that much.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
mike-sullivan-1996-43.jpg

Reactions: Shady Machine

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Exactly, and what makes it worse is that some on this site can't tell the difference between "playing devil's advocate" and "defending a player". Look at the Johnson/Riikola discussion, Johnson is horrible but me saying "swapping Johnson for Riikola probably wouldn't have changed game 3" is interpreted as me defending Johnson for some reason. Everything is so damn black and white with some people on here, where any sort of nuance in a discussion counts as arguing against their position.

Murray should have completely started in this series based on his past track record. Murray absolutely shouldn't have been pulled after game 1 because the loss wasn't his fault and he didn't play poorly. But at this point, the team has their backs up against a wall and they need to make some sort of change, plus Murray had a pretty poor game in game 3. It makes total sense to make the change now. But apparently criticizing bad takes by people shitting on Murray means I'm a Murray fanboy or something.

When it comes to Riikola, you are really no different than people that pile on MM. You dont like him, you think he is shit and shouldnt play another game in NHL. You pretty much said this yourself many times. While he isnt anything great, he is miles ahead of JJ, can actually defend, can clear the puck out of his zone, can actually get puck on the net and has a cannon of a shot, doesnt look for big hit and leaves his partner to dry and gets scored on and so on. JJ was -3 last game, -4 so far in these 3 games, and f***ing -18 in playoffs in his career. I dont care how bad you think Riikola is, he would be a massive upgrade over this buffoon. If he prevents 2 goals from happening in 3 games that JJ was on the ice for, pens win series 3-0 already and we are not having any discussions about MM and JJ and so on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When it comes to Riikola, you are really no different than people that pile on MM. You dont like him, you think he is shit and shouldnt play another game in NHL. You pretty much said this yourself many times. While he isnt anything great, he is miles ahead of JJ, can actually defend, can clear the puck out of his zone, can actually get puck on the net and has a cannon of a shot, doesnt look for big hit and leaves his partner to dry and gets scored on and so on. JJ was -3 last game, -4 so far in these 3 games, and f***ing -18 in playoffs in his career. I dont care how bad you think Riikola is, he would be a massive upgrade over this buffoon. If he prevents 2 goals from happening in 3 games that JJ was on the ice for, pens win series 3-0 already and we are not having any discussions about MM and JJ and so on.

You literally just proved my point, so thank you. You're one of the people who's incapable of understanding nuance that I was exactly referring to.

I don't understand how it's hard to understand the thought of "Riikola is better than Johnson, but Riikola himself sucks and replacing Johnson with Riikola probably wouldn't have changed the outcome in game 3", but alas you're in that group who somehow can't.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Heres my sizzling hot take: The pens will win this series and make it to the second round atleast. Sully will shake up the line-up a bit and it will be enough for a while.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

There are pages of posts of proof supporting exactly that.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'm not saying starting Jarry is a terrible idea - I'd have started him in game 1 - but if he lays an egg tonight, Sullivan is going to look very stupid. This feels like a desperation move to me and I'm honestly surprised to see him make it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are pages of posts of proof supporting exactly that.

There's literally not, but okay.

Apparently me arguing against the droves of Penguins fans who don't understand goaltending or resent Murray for taking Fleury's job doesn't count as being a "Murray fanboy".

I'm not saying starting Jarry is a terrible idea - I'd have started him in game 1 - but if lays an egg tonight, Sullivan is going to look very stupid. This feels like a desperation move to me and I'm honestly surprised to see him make it.

Nah, it's a change he had to make. Murray had a poor game 3 and the team absolutely flatlined about halfway through. I don't think Jarry laying an egg today is going to reflect poorly on him, it was a move he had to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad