GDT: Game 4: Phoenix Coyotes @ Detroit Red Wings - 10-10-13 | 4:30 PM Arizona Time

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
We all talk about starting slow and "getting used to the system" and all that... I wonder why it seems to have to happen every year though. Most of these guys have been here for a while and know what to do, why do they just forget how to play hockey over the summer? It's all just frustrating. Hoping to be .500 after tonight.

It happens to every team, but some teams rely more on a system and others rely more on pure skill. The teams that rely more on the system usually take longer to get going. This phenomenon was magnified in last year's shortened, preseason-free season.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
It happens to every team, but some teams rely more on a system and others rely more on pure skill. The teams that rely more on the system usually take longer to get going. This phenomenon was magnified in last year's shortened, preseason-free season.

I'm well aware and that's what I was trying to point out. I just don't really see how it has to be an issue each season. It's not like our system or team members change much, why do we need to start from scratch each year? Once they learn the system, just keep doing it, why does a few months of summer make them all forget it - that was my point.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My predictions are just as worthless as anyone elses, but for all the railing I did on one Shane Doan (on his B-Day nonetheless) yesterday: I think we will see a Coyote team (lead by Doan) that is significantly more prepared for a NHL hockey game, whatever the outcome. In no small part due to what I believe is the genius of coach Tippett in sending the kids down and turning it on the vets. While I'm not in the room, I have little doubt that there is most lilely no other capt'n as welcoming, or accomodating, that possesses a more true, heartfelt sense of wanting to see players within his teams systems succeed than one Shane Doan - he's going to take this to heart.

I never predict a win/loss - it's plain ol' bad mojo.

Good post. Interesting take.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let's try and not come out of the gate half asleep for the first 2 minutes. These early goals have been killing us lately.

Exactly. Stupid or flukey or both, we end up shooting ourselves in the foot early, too much this season. Let's score first tonight.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Exactly. Stupid or flukey or both, we end up shooting ourselves in the foot early, too much this season. Let's score first tonight.

Time to go to the no huddle offense! Score first, last and most often. Smitty pitch a shutout, cut down on the penalties, capitalize on the turnovers, block shots, intercept passes, tackle harder, score some touchdowns...

erm, I may have mixed some terminology up there... can I blame auto-correct?

come on Yotes!

theoriginal55

Aug 6, 2005
Actual radio coverage is on 860AM. You literally need a scorecard to know where to tune in for the games. Funny to hear 620 say today that you can hear the game "right here" on 860AM! Also curious if NHL Network coverage will be blacked out for us since Fox Sports AZ is also covering the game.

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Time to go to the no huddle offense! Score first, last and most often. Smitty pitch a shutout, cut down on the penalties, capitalize on the turnovers, block shots, intercept passes, tackle harder, score some touchdowns...

erm, I may have mixed some terminology up there... can I blame auto-correct?

come on Yotes!

we need to avoid red cards too.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I know a few posters believe this, but I think it is only an excuse, same as using injuries as an excuse. Every team has a system, turn over of players etc. Over a 48 or 82 game schedule, the teams that make the playoffs most times deserve to be there. The reason we did not make the playoffs was because we were not as good as the other teams.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My cynical prediction for the game is similar to Shepard's, Smith stands on his head to keep it from getting ridiculous but still gives up 4-5 goals and the main boards ignorantly accuse him of being average and overpaid.

We can't be as bad as the last two games. Can we?:shakehead

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Top 6 lines for tonight are

Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Ribeiro-Hanzal-Vrbata

One of us suggested Ribeiro with the Czechs in another thread, I don't remember who though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad