GDT: Game #4 | LEAFS @ STARS | Tues, Oct 9, 2018 @ 8:30 PM EST | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Nylander signing would make our forward group look a lot better from the top down. For this specific game (assuming Gauthier was in for Johnsson like tonight)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Lindholm-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

That just looks a lot better.

Reactions: ThewThew

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leivo better play with some jam tonight.

Leivo and Gauthier both. They're two big boys on the 4th line. Make something happen.

Babcock was even quoted as to saying in training camp that, "Gauthier is a 235 lb man, he needs play like it"

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Nylander signing would make our forward group look a lot better from the top down. For this specific game (assuming Gauthier was in for Johnsson like tonight)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Lindholm-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

True, on paper though without Nylander the Leafs roster still looks better than most teams.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Happy for Kappy. Glad Gauthier is getting a start. I am a fan and hope he can take the next step. Can't understand why Brown slides in on the second PP over Kapanen.

Is there any concern that we've only had 5 goal scorers so far?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I've also been really impressed with Kapanen's jam and grit game. Leivo needs to get in line and add that to his game too.

I think it's clear Babcock desperately is looking for size. He mentioned before the regular season that he thinks Size is still very important to today's game and that Washington is a prime example. \

But obviously he's not gonna force it. If the player is bad, he'll come out

Reactions: ThewThew

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
More a message to Johnsson than an endorsement of Gauthier.
Indeed.

I got no problems with Johnsson being scratched. He isn't bringing the same game he brought with last year's first call-up. The hunger just isn't there.

Reactions: DarkKnight

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Brown and Ennis have been the worst of the bunch, though. Gauthier is also not an NHL caliber player

Goat is a passable 4th Line centre given who the Leafs have up the middle already. He was bound to be drawn in regardless since someone had to be scratched.

I think it’s a marginal debate who’s been worse out of that bunch. I do think Ennisnis being given some leash to improve because he’s likely to be waived the most when/if Willy re-signs .. I would say it’s a similar situation for Leivo

AJ hasn’t earned a promotion to Kadri’s line. He is just a young guy who needs a bit of a reset in the press box. It’s more for his development I would say

Brown is being given the longest leash but he’s proven to be the most reliable out of the bunch defensively alongside Kadri despite his rough start.

That 4th Line shouldn’t see much ice time though (under 10 mins)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I've also been really impressed with Kapanen's jam and grit game. Leivo needs to get in line and add that to his game too.

I think it's clear Babcock desperately is looking for size. He mentioned before the regular season that he thinks Size is still very important to today's game and that Washington is a prime example. \

But obviously he's not gonna force it. If the player is bad, he'll come out

I agree, Kappy has been good imo.

I think it's interesting Babs' comments that they want to Kapanen to basically model his game like Hyman, and if he does that he can play with good players. I feel like Kappy already does many of the things Hyman does, but if he can just lean into that a little more, he'd be a much better version of Hyman.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Nylander
Lindholm-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

If Kapanen continues to thrive with Matthews I would keep him there and put Nylander with Kadri.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Goat is a passable 4th Line centre given who the Leafs have up the middle already. He was bound to be drawn in regardless since someone had to be scratched.

I think it’s a marginal debate who’s been worse out of that bunch. I do think Ennisnis being given some leash to improve because he’s likely to be waived the most when/if Willy re-signs .. I would say it’s a similar situation for Leivo

AJ hasn’t earned a promotion to Kadri’s line. He is just a young guy who needs a bit of a reset in the press box. It’s more for his development I would say

Brown is being given the longest leash but he’s proven to be the most reliable out of the bunch defensively alongside Kadri despite his rough start.

That 4th Line shouldn’t see much ice time though (under 10 mins)

I actually really hope Gauthier can stick. He provides an element we just don't have much of, and frankly, teams he plays on just win.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I very much like the move on gauthier. Getting rid of useless johnsson. Now Leivo should be out real hard too, and we should put some real heavy hitter, difference maker out there, people with EDGE AND FORECHECK on their games.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wasn't a fan of dressing 7 dmen when it was suggested earlier in the preseason but after giving it some thought, it makes sense. Rolling 3 lines allows your 3Cs to play an average of 20 minutes per game each. Use the 10th and 11th forwards to kill penalties and spell some of your wingers. Puts a ton of pressure on the opposition knowing that they are not going to get a break facing a 4th line.

Also allows Marincin and/or Holl to play a bit more and Oz and Hainsey a bit less as needed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Happy for Kappy. Glad Gauthier is getting a start. I am a fan and hope he can take the next step. Can't understand why Brown slides in on the second PP over Kapanen.

Is there any concern that we've only had 5 goal scorers so far?

13 goals scored and JT and Matthews have 9 of those = 69% of Leafs have come from their 2 X top C.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Leivo would do well with Tavares. They seem to play a similar sort of style, and Leivo has been making some really nice passes lately that Tavares would have no problems converting.

Leivo - Tavares - Hyman could be interesting... or Marleau - Tavares - Leivo

I don't think that Tavares would benefit from Marner as much as Matthews would. Matthews and Marner would just be pure magic every shift.

Reactions: PromisedLand

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Kapanen continues to thrive with Matthews I would keep him there and put Nylander with Kadri.

Its way too small a sample size. Nylander and Mathews has been playing for over a year.

Eventually, Nylander will be back with Mathews imo

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Hopefully the Leafs have another strategy other than the stretch pass. More aggressive defense wouldn't hurt either.

Defense is not just 2 defensemen and a goal tender, lots of teams, use team defense, we don't, we are still a run and gun offense, that relies on our goal tender and defensemen to carry the load and sadly we will go no where using this strategy, we have played three games this season, 1 loss and 2 wins decided in OT.
If people think we will go far in the play-offs, other teams will check us into the ice, this is how Ottawa beat us and other teams also beat us in the same manner, It's not just all about scoring a ton of goals, we can do that , what we can't do is stop them from scoring a ton of goals, we have got to back check vigorously and stop them from getting their players standing around in front of our net getting tip ins and wide open shots.
Our top 6 is second to none in scoring however our bottom 6 need to start thinking defense first, when they take on their top lines and stop trying to be great goal scorers and be great defensive forwards

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its way too small a sample size. Nylander and Mathews has been playing for over a year.

Eventually, Nylander will be back with Mathews imo

Which is why he said... if it continues to work.... and likely we are going to have a much larger sample size to judge on this. If Kap and Matthews continue to work, why not examine keeping them together, and spread the wealth with Kadri and Nylander together?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I also like how Babcock, despite taking Johnsson out of the lineup, told media that they believe he's an important player for them, and that while it hasn't started off well, he can't worry about that now, and he needs to start fresh on his next opportunity.

Reactions: Sypher04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad